New Vision Owner

rockytopcowboy

Good morning!

I am new to the world of Kamado grilling. I have been cooking on a Lang stick burner for the past 12 years. I utilize a Thermo Works Smoke device during my cooks. Where do you place the probes while using a Kamado?

I pick up my Vision B Diamond cut tomorrow. I can not wait to get started.

Thank you in advance for any advice you give.

Welcome the forums!  Just upgraded my Akorn to a vision myself!   Make sure you make sure the dome closes properly, had to adjust my band.  For placing probe, i place in the rear of my cookijg grate, but still closeish to my meat.  The rear tends to be the hottest spot, and i'd rather know the hottest area by my food.  Some people also loke to place a skewer in their meat, and then stick the probe in skewe loop to be above their meat. 

Hey Cowboy, glad to have both you and your soon to arrive Vision with us. I also use a smoke. A step up from my 732 for sure. Probe placement is pretty simple.Just like your smoker, one in the meat and another in the pit.  You will most likely only use a pit probe when you have a stone deflector in and are cooking either moderate or low and slow. The deflector works kinda like the offset in a smoker to keep the direct heat of the fire from direct contact with what your cooking. you place a deflector stone on a rack or grate below the grate you are going to cook on. The short stubby probe and clip that came with the smoke can be placed on the grate your meat is on, and  above your stone pretty much  anywhere you can fit it (depending on what you are cooking) . If you place your probe on the grate but at the edge above the gap between your deflector stone and the kettle wall you will get higher readings than your meat actually experiences sitting directly  above the stone. Heat from your fire will escape your fire box through this gap and run up the kettle wall before it spreads out across your kamado cooking environment.  In most kamados the area back in front of your hinge assembly is a hot spot or at least a bit warmer than the sides or front. I try to place my pit probe so it's complete length  is fully  covered by the stone beneath it(just like the meat I am cooking). I generally try to place it on the side. Other things to watch for are the pit probe coming into contact with your meat, or a CI grilling dish or pan. ( Once I put a prime rib into my Egg which was at a solid 325, when I glanced at the pit temp in about 5 min it was at 42 degrees. A quick check showed I had pushed the meat into contact with the probe)  Coming from the smoker world, there is a tendency to see your kamado as another smoker.  However, your kamado is more like an  outdoor charcoal fired  convection oven than just a BBQ, Smoker, or grill. You have much more versatility with a kamado and you can cook anything on your Vision you can cook in your kitchen oven. From Brisket and the BBQ classics all the way to breads, pies, traditional and innovative recipes, and my favorite Pizza.   Enjoy your new grill and the forum conversation as well. Happy Cooking. By the way my first kamado was  a Vision, they make a fine grill and it will serve you very well.

21 minutes ago, rockytopcowboy said:

Thanks guys!!

Will the probes running into the cooker effect the seal, and create an air leak? I look forward to learning how to master the Kamado. My stick burner was kind of fool proof.

There should be no issue with it affecting the seal. If your wire is long enough, ive seen it run down through the top vent, but that shouldnt be neccessary.  

No issues at all laying the temp wire leads over your gasket. Everyone who uses a temp system does that and still maintains temp. IMO running the leads down the top vent is a PIA and not at all necessary. I do lay the leads in a different spot each time I use them so I don't contribute to a permanent grove in the gasket. There is a learning curve to kamado cooking, but IMO, it is just part of the Zen Art of Kamado Cooking, and something to be enjoyed, and not rushed through.  Happy Cooking

Welcome aboard! What color did you get?  GO VOLS!!

I just went with black. Sam's had black in stock and it was $99 to ship a different color (Orange of course). I ordered a table from Home Depot. I will definitely post picks once I am done with everything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk