• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
jackjumper101

2016 Kitchen Knife of the Year

12 hours ago, Bob Fletcher said:

Appears you have no problem making enemies here :-D  !  I have had the Wusthof Ikon knives for 6 or 7 years, and and have been really happy with them.  I can get and keep them incredibly sharp.  However.... I am always looking for that one knife.....  Right now though I am missing a slicer and think that will be next.  When I feel like getting a new mortgage on my house maybe I'll get a Shun.. 

Wait until you start looking at custom knives. @ckreef and I both drool over HHH knives...  

i am working on a trade with a new knife maker, handles for a blade.  I will report back on that when I receive the blade in a week or two. 

Thank you, Jose.  In the next day or two I'll try to post a comparison between this knife, my Globals, and my Zwilling Pros (which have been ground down to 15* Asian angles).  

In the meantime, I've used it several times on tomatoes, scallions, purple onion, Romaine lettuce, radishes, celery stalk, and pitted Kalamata olives.  Nothing too hard, dense or fibrous like carrots, parsnips, fennel, or turnips or hard shell squash.  Given the fragility of the blade, I'll probably use one of the newly reground German knives for these type of tasks.

11 hours ago, jackjumper101 said:

Thank you, Jose.  In the next day or two I'll try to post a comparison between this knife, my Globals, and my Zwilling Pros (which have been ground down to 15* Asian angles).  

In the meantime, I've used it several times on tomatoes, scallions, purple onion, Romaine lettuce, radishes, celery stalk, and pitted Kalamata olives.  Nothing too hard, dense or fibrous like carrots, parsnips, fennel, or turnips or hard shell squash.  Given the fragility of the blade, I'll probably use one of the newly reground German knives for these type of tasks.

For 200 bucks that steel better hold and edge on a carrot...
Why else would you make a "chef's knife" if you cant do Chef things with it.

4 minutes ago, 01lowbird said:

For 200 bucks that steel better hold and edge on a carrot...
Why else would you make a "chef's knife" if you cant do Chef things with it.

Part of me sees where you are coming from.  Go hand out on chefknivestogo website or their forum.  You will fine some very expensive knives, some ment for kitchen abuse, others ment for more refined tasks. 

2 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Part of me sees where you are coming from.  Go hand out on chefknivestogo website or their forum.  You will fine some very expensive knives, some ment for kitchen abuse, others ment for more refined tasks. 

"More refined tasks" being looking pretty in a display case? :)

Please do not misunderstand--my knife was not purchased to ""Look pretty in a display case". Far from it.    I have been using it regularly.  Yesterday I did cut carrots into julienne with it.  On earlier usage, until I got used to it, I preferred to use it on softer foods like onion, cucumber, proteins, etc.  

Just because it was expensive, however, does not mean that I will use it to the exclusion of my other knives, including my other chef's knives, some German and some Japanese.  Sometimes a particular one just feels right for a particular task.

Harder, thinner blades just need a more proper cut on harder food. Switching to Japanese knives I find myself being more careful with my knife strokes. This is slowly becoming more natural. 

My old crappy knives I just didn't care about so I hacked away at whatever. That taught  me some bad habits. Trying now to break those habits. 

All my knives look pretty and are in a lighted display. Still use them every day. 

When I finally get that extra expensive,  gorgeous custom knife I'm going to use it twice a day. Probably going to have it's own display. 

Expensive doesn't mean "don't use",  just means be a little more careful with it. 

1 hour ago, HeavyG said:

"More refined tasks" being looking pretty in a display case? :)

3 minutes ago, ckreef said:

All my knives look pretty and are in a lighted display. Still use them every day. 

When I finally get that extra expensive,  gorgeous custom knife I'm going to use it twice a day. Probably going to have it's own display. 

Expensive doesn't mean "don't use",  just means be a little more careful with it. 

Well said, ck.  All of my good knives are in a multi-slot block.  I'm a lot more careful with the Shun, the Globals and even the Zwilling Pros than I am with the Dexter-Russels and the cleavers which I keep in a utility drawer.  Different knives for differing purposes with differing techniques. 

I learned to mince herbs and veggies with an old Chicago 8' chefs knife  with a European / American grind on the blade. I got pretty darn fast at setting the front half of the blade on the board with a few fingers of my left hand ontop of the blade and my right hand pinching the blade right in front of the handle. I would swing the knife in a half circle all the time using a fast rocking chopping motion. Also periodically using the blade to scrape and pile what ever I was chopping in the center of my board.  Worked great, but it is not a good technique with a thin Asian blade. You need to take a right foot back stance and slice through and back keeping the knife blade straight on the board and not drawing it laterally or spinning it in a half circle with the blade touching the boards surface. That technique with an Asian knife can bind and chip the blade. You can do the same exact same  task with each knife but two separate techniques are required. I have been working with my Shuns for about a month and I am starting to pick up some speed, confidence, and even a little skill.