New Big Joe Advice needed.

prowe

Again i want to thank Fumba for helping make my decision. I will be picking up my big joe on monday.  I have acess to a smalish pick up. I dont know the dimentions. Then i need to get it out of the truck. As its a monday on short notice i dont know what kind of help i can get. I am thinking if i open the box in the pick up and move it piece by piece (i.e. lid, firebox, base etc) that it wouldnt be soo bad to move. Or am i setting myself up for a hernia?

I had two neighbors help me get my (boxed) Big Joe out of my Honda Element, and it was all we could do to sit it down in the driveway without dropping it. Very definitely could/should have used four guys instead of three. It comes with the base and dome already assembled. To really move it piece by piece you'd have to disassemble them. Even then I think you'd still be a lot better off to have another couple guys helping. These things are heavy.

I had 3 guys and it was a struggle. Strapped the box to a dolly while in the truck, backed truck up to small hill in front yard, to lessen the drop distance. Then we man handled it down and rolled it around back. Kept it strapped to dolly and with one man pulling and two pushing we got it up 5 steps to my deck. Unboxed it and setup. I think keeping in the box as long as possible is safer. It's a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big/strong are you? While not a Big Joe, I've lifted a BGE XL by myself and set it into a table. I just squatted and bear-hugged it; granted I'm 6'4.5", 325-ish lbs. and have been lifting for 30 years....it's the size in addition to the weight that makes it unwieldy more so than the weight because it's only 250 lbs and if you put the weight on a bar, most of us could lift that all day long.

2 hours ago, prowe said:

Again i want to thank Fumba for helping make my decision. I will be picking up my big joe on monday.  I have acess to a smalish pick up. I dont know the dimentions. Then i need to get it out of the truck. As its a monday on short notice i dont know what kind of help i can get. I am thinking if i open the box in the pick up and move it piece by piece (i.e. lid, firebox, base etc) that it wouldnt be soo bad to move. Or am i setting myself up for a hernia?

want me to swing by and give you a hand bro?

It's definitely too big and too heavy to do yourself, please don't attempt it.  The box is 34.5"Wx34.5"Dx36"H I believe so you'll need that much space at least.  You could deconstruct the box but if you have a truck definitely don't do that because it could fall over.  Congrats on the new cooker!

49 minutes ago, prowe said:

That would be awesome. Thanks man.

I would offer to help as well, but then you would need someone to watch my two kids. Ha. What time are you doing this? Are we fixing Freddy's cracked base too? 

I must apologize. I don't have many details yet as I have to figure out when I can get the pick up truck.  I will update details tomorrow. I want to make sure nobody feels any pressure at all. I am in no fear of starving. You are all great folks. If I can help Freddy with a cracked base I will with out a doubt assist.

Doing it by yourself would not be wise. You and one other person can do it as long as you dont have some physical problems but a third hand will help greatly. I did the lifting with one other person and had my wife there to move stuff around for us. First, I bought a potlifter 200 pound gardening heavy lifting tool for 27 dollars from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ECFFJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We open the box in tne truck. The BigJoe is in the cart but the cart is flipped over. We connected the potlifter, lifted the kamado and my wife pulled the cart out and we set the kamado down in the truck. We then set the cart upright on the ground by the tailgate. Next, we lifted the kamado with the potlifter (this thing is handy!!!) and we walked it out on the tailgate and set it down inside the cart. 

In my case, i could wheel it to the back of the house but it needed to go up three steps and on the porch. My friend and I grabbed it by the cart and lifted it up, this was very easy because there was something to grab on to that was low. I am 5'11" - 179 pounds and i had help from a 17 year old the same size. If you dont have physical problems you will be fine with one or two people besides yourself. 

57 minutes ago, prowe said:

I must apologize. I don't have many details yet as I have to figure out when I can get the pick up truck.  I will update details tomorrow. I want to make sure nobody feels any pressure at all. I am in no fear of starving. You are all great folks. If I can help Freddy with a cracked base I will with out a doubt assist.

thanks bro, i'm gonna pm you my cell & you can hit me up & let me know where & when