The Costco Brisket Meets Louie Mueller

I finally found a Costco brisket up to my specs, so I going to see whether I can discern the difference between a choice packer and a prime. Granted, it would be best if they came from the same meat packer but, still... With all the talk of upcoming changes for the KJ in 2018, addressing idiot proof ease of lighting and temp control, I am wondering how many of those owners would be willing to be out in thirty plus degree weather at 2am to get one of these big boys started...

IMG_2330.JPG

She didn't require much trimming so, I definitely lost less than a pound and a half and I think I am grossly overstating that...

IMG_2333.JPG

Now with the rub. On second thought I need to add at least as much black pepper again in order to approach a proper Louie Mueller bark. I'll add it during the cook after the butcher paper. But, put here into back into the fridge to 'dry brine' on Wednesday.

IMG_2342.JPG

1:45 and Big Joe is sluggish to come up to temp... shooting for 215° - 225°.

1 hour ago, adam319 said:

Yummy. I was eyeing one of these at my costco the other day as well. What time do we all come over to eat? If I leave Iowa City now, I can make it there by lunch.

I planned to have it off by four. The temp spike throws a wrench into my plans- don't know how long it's been there. Anyway, in another hour or two, I'll start to monitor the internal temp. Once it's done, it's going to go quick, you need to hit the road right now! ;-)

Just shy of 12 hours on the cook. Was about to wrap when I discovered the temp @ ~195° and probing like soft buttah...

IMG_2347.JPG

So, I'm just going to wrap in butcher paper and let rest... Still surprised, my last brisket experienced at least 40% shrinkage. I imagine this one is around 20% max...

IMG_2350.JPG

2 hours ago, Garvinque said:

Good looking brisket, I wish we had a Costco here in the Albany Area the nearest one is in Springfield Ma about 45 min one way!

Garvin

Yikes.  So what are brisket prices up your way? 

IMG_2353.JPG

so first things first. I need to get my mother some sharp knives. 

IMG_2354.JPG

Can't say I can tell a difference right off between the prime and choice. But I will do some more… examination… once I get this point home 

6 hours ago, Garvinque said:

Good looking brisket, I wish we had a Costco here in the Albany Area the nearest one is in Springfield Ma about 45 min one way!

Garvin

The Dedham and Waltham Mass Costcos only carry flats. I bet Springfield is the same...

local Costcos carry choice flats at $6-8/lbs. 

RD can be $2-3/lbs for a whole untrimmed packer. 

55 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

@Kamado Al about 5.99 for choice.

Wow... I can get short plate ribs at that price. 

40 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

local Costcos carry choice flats at $6-8/lbs. 

RD can be $2-3/lbs for a whole I trimmed packer. 

Ive never even noticed the price of Costco's flats. But my regular go to spot for brisket is RD. 

Al, if you can even approach Louie Mueller status, you're the man! I know the popular choice is Franklin's, but I'll take LM's brisket any day!

BTW...if you can replicate the sausage from City Market in Luling, I'll genuflect! That said, if you want their sauce recipe, I'll try to find it and pass it on. :-D

1 hour ago, Big Dawg said:

Al, if you can even approach Louie Mueller status, you're the man! I know the popular choice is Franklin's, but I'll take LM's brisket any day!

BTW...if you can replicate the sausage from City Market in Luling, I'll genuflect! That said, if you want their sauce recipe, I'll try to find it and pass it on. :-D

LOL. I should have been clearer. I was doing a tribute to the heavy black pepper that the Mueller family uses, which imo, separate them from the other Texas BBQ I've tasted. I have heard more than one pitmaster, perhaps both John Mueller and A.F. (or John Mueller and Wayne Mueller) say that the home pitmaster should be able to produce as good, if not better, brisket than they. The thing which separates them is the consistency of doing it day after day, brisket after brisket and then multiplying it by dozens of briskets per day.

Didn't get to Luling during my BBQ tour last year but, I certainly wouldn't turn down their bbq recipe. :-D

Snow's is no joke either. They and Louie Mueller's had the best brisket I ate. Blacks had the best beef ribs, L.M. wasn't quite where it needed to be that day.

This brisket was great. In fact, my last two or three briskets have been spectacular. They are getting consistently good. The one opinion I have when pulling each of them is that the bark is not as deep as I want it- I attribute it to the lack of air flow in the Kamado. However, I am noticing that during the rest period the bark darkens considerably. A great big thank to all the advice I've read here about how long to let a brisket rest before slicing.

I noticed you cooked yours fat up. This is a point of discussion that I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer to. That said, if you want better bark, maybe fat down? As you cook, moisture escapes from the brisket, and reasonably it goes down, keeping bark from forming. I cook all of mine fat down, my bark is consistently good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Go Apps
      Soon I'm going to smoke a 12lb. brisket on my Big Joe using my new
      FireBoard
      . I plan on cooking overnight. Would I need to wrap, or just let it go for 12 hours or more?
    • By cameronleespencer
      Hello there!  

I'm new to the world of Kamado cooking and to this forum, so I'm looking forward to some dialogue.

So I recently found a Big Joe for sale on fb marketplace for the irresistible price of $100!  The main body is in not terrible shape, but it's missing quite a few items, and will need some cleaning/repair.  I'm hoping the combined expertise hear can help me get this thing in good working order for the least amount of extra $ possible, and more importantly without damaging the integrity of the grill.

Condition Report:
      The ceramic body itself is in good shape with no major cracks or chips.  There are a few issues that need to be addressed however:
      The upper part of the interior has some green staining.  I assume this is from algae/moss since I live in the PNW.  Any tips on how to gently clean this, or should I just do a burnout when I get the rest set up?  The felt gaskets are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced (tips on cleaning and removing gunk would be welcome too).  The wire mesh gasket is mostly intact but has come loose.  Does anyone know of an adhesive that would be safe to use to re-attach it?   I'm not sure what to call this, but the hole that helps align the hinge on the back side of the band has been worn quite a bit.  Making the hole about 1 1/2" long and the ceramic a bit crumbly there (see pic).  Does anyone know of any substance I could safely patch this with, and how best to reattach the bands?  
      Missing parts:
      At that low of a price I wasn't too concerned about replacing a few parts, but after price checking I found I need approx $400-$450 in replacement parts.  I can get most of these from BBQ Guys, but I figured I would reach out to the community here and see if people had recommendations for third party replacements, custom ideas, or (fingers crossed) extra parts that they need to get rid of.  Here is a list of what I need:
      Firebox Deflector Grill Grates Flex cooking rack (is this necessary or is there another way to grill/smoke without it?) Replacement Gasket kit Missing the upper half of the cart, not sure if I will try and purchase that, or make a custom table I will be focusing on grilling and smoking with this grill, so I don't really need some of the specialty items.

I know this is a lot of information/questions, so don't feel like you have to address everything, but if you have some advice on any of the subjects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy grilling!

• By social assassin
      Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for any tips on how to cook a full packer brisket on my KJ Classic 2.  To date I have only smoked brisket twice; one time each of the Point & the Flat.  After seeing them in person at Costco it doesn’t look like it will fit on my KJ.  How do you make it work?

I am not sure if I posted this question in the correct thread.

Take Care,
      Pablo 
    • By buckleybj
      I have been seeing whole fish at Costco for some time now so I decided to give it a go. I bought some snapper for diner last night and was blown away by the results.

I watched Mr. Setzler's video on grilling a whole fish as a guide along with some recipes I found on the interwebs.

2 snappers gutted and cleaned (got mine from Costco as I said previously) Cut crosshatch slits on both sides of the fish (next time I will just do horizontal slits for easier removal of skin) Seasoned with garlic rosemary seasoning Salted with a few pinches of kosher salt Spritzed with olive oil generously on each side Stuffed cavity with fresh rosemary, thyme and dill from the garden Sprinkled lime juice to finish off  
      Using the Big Joe, I lit just one side and set the fish for direct at the highest level grate. I used a fish\veggie tray to keep the fish from falling apart.
      I had the temp at around 300-325 and grilled each side for 9 minutes until the inter temp as around 140.

The flavor was amazing! I don't think I would have the intense herb flavors if I had just cooked fillets but I will be trying that in the future.

I served the fish with some leftover bulgur pilaf and a spinach berry salad.

I have never had snapper before that I can remember but I am now a huge fan!! 

• By MurphyBBQ
      Cooking my first brisket on the KJ Classic 2 and had a lot of trouble with thick white smoke. My process below, if anybody can help me find the mistake it would be much appreciated!

- Loaded KJ with Jealous Devil lump charcoal and mix ~5-7 oak log chunks of medium (?) size. Logs were highly likely kiln dried but I did get them in firewood-like logs from a meat market vs the mass distro grocery store/home improvement bags
      - Used Royal Oak starters and got the lump lit for about 15 minutes, then a couple of the oak chunks caught and I got a decent fire.
      - Closed the top but opened the vent fully to try to let it smoke out and carbonize. Temp jumped pretty quickly to about 350 so I choked it back and got it stable around 260 but the thick white smoke continued for a solid 45+ minutes at which point I had no choice but to start the meat
      - White smoke continued for another hour+ after this, albeit it didnt billow out quite as aggressively. This went on for a couple of hours at least which seemed like an excessively long time.

Thoughts? Advice?
      Thanks!