traeger

Jdc

2 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

Got you from what i have been reading most budget pellet snokers dont get past 400 450 i guess just not my thing and key is you have to have the controls good luck with yours bro

I've thought long and hard about adding a pellet pooper to the mix and come to the same conclusion. Not denying others' experience and results. Just not interested. Still thinking about something easy for my wife to use. The answer may be as simple as a kettle and bag of KBB. 

@HalfSmoke -you've got and KK sitting in your backyard.  Why not teach your Bride to cook on it.  Nothing could b3 easier.  I've taught many a young lass the fine art of cooking on Beauty! and TheBeast.  Once the get over the "But I've never done this before ..." things go swimmingly.  What kind of simplicity do you gain with a Weber and KBB?  You still have to figure out how to light the charcoal.  You still have to learn how to set vents for a particular temperature (and that is one of the easiest part of KK cooking) and vent setting is harder on a Weber than a KK.  Let's not even talk about handling ashes!  To my mind, getting a KK ready to use is much simpler than just about anything I've had on my patio.  Your Bride will thank you in the end.

Best of luck!

10 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

@HalfSmoke -you've got and KK sitting in your backyard.  Why not teach your Bride to cook on it.  Nothing could b3 easier.  I've taught many a young lass the fine art of cooking on Beauty! and TheBeast.  Once the get over the "But I've never done this before ..." things go swimmingly.  What kind of simplicity do you gain with a Weber and KBB?  You still have to figure out how to light the charcoal.  You still have to learn how to set vents for a particular temperature (and that is one of the easiest part of KK cooking) and vent setting is harder on a Weber than a KK.  Let's not even talk about handling ashes!  To my mind, getting a KK ready to use is much simpler than just about anything I've had on my patio.  Your Bride will thank you in the end.

Best of luck!

It's a mental barrier. Wife used to grill all the time on Webers and gassers, but once I went Kamado (NOT commando...that's something else...<_<) she stopped. Something about it scares her and I know her well enough to know that no amount of coaching will change that. Took me two years to get her to use the espresso machine! :shock:

I have a Traeger select that I use to supplement my kamados.    Keep in mind all the cooking on pallet grill are typically indirect.      I even did pizza on Traeger once while doing pizza on Kamado at same time because it was pizza function at home. Made 9 x 18" pizza on that day.     

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

On 4/10/2017 at 6:20 AM, Jdc said:

I, what do you guys think of a pellet cooker.....i might have a good deal on a traeger....50% off a new one. It s not that i really need it but ( already owned a big joe). I cook a lot in the cold (Québec city, Canada).

I have a Traeger on my patio and I use it for a lot of things.  It's really nice for some stuff and not so great for others.  As mentioned here, it sucks at searing.  Everything else seems to work really well on it.  In my opinion, it excels at whole chickens and turkeys.  I also use it for various casseroles including my smoked mac & cheese.

Moving this thread to "other cookers" since it's not a product review....

I have a Traeger on my patio and I use it for a lot of things.  It's really nice for some stuff and not so great for others.  As mentioned here, it sucks at searing.  Everything else seems to work really well on it.  In my opinion, it excels at whole chickens and turkeys.  I also use it for various casseroles including my smoked mac & cheese.

Moving this thread to "other cookers" since it's not a product review....

You've had your Traeger for about 3 years now, yeah? Sounds like it's seen some pretty good use. Curious to hear how it's held up during the time you've owned it. Reliability? Exterior/Interior finish? Would you recommend a Traeger to a friend looking into pellet grills? Always curious to hear real-world owner experiences :)

2 minutes ago, rwalters said:

You've had your Traeger for about 3 years now, yeah? Sounds like it's seen some pretty good use. Curious to hear how it's held up during the time you've owned it. Reliability? Exterior/Interior finish? Would you recommend a Traeger to a friend looking into pellet grills? Always curious to hear real-world owner experiences :)

Mine has held up fine.   Mine is sitting under an awning so it doesn't get rained on.  I also have the cover for it but I never put it on the grill since it's in a covered area.  As far as recommendations are concerned, I'd probably NOT recommend the Traeger.  I think I like the RecTec a bit better.  I don't have one but I have several associates who do and I'm quite convinced that it is a significantly better grill than the Traeger.  

I think I would agree John, however, the new timberline is bringing traeger back to a quality machine that can compete with many of the big brands.  

I got my hands on the 850 timberline today and was floored with the build quality and innovation.  The 1300 is set to arrive in about a month and I can't wait to get one! 

1 hour ago, bosco said:

I think I would agree John, however, the new timberline is bringing traeger back to a quality machine that can compete with many of the big brands.  

I got my hands on the 850 timberline today and was floored with the build quality and innovation.  The 1300 is set to arrive in about a month and I can't wait to get one! 

Those look nice but they cost more than I'd ever spend on a pellet grill.

not sure i agree with tragear bringing back quality Rectec looks like a better cooker and so does louisiana which Louisiana says they have max temp to 600 not to turn anyone off to tragear but i sure would not get it ..my choice would be yoder, rectec or louisiana if i was to go the route of a pellet grill but again metal vs ceramics i would pick ceramic every time.