Leg of Lamb Suggestions... Who's got em?

JoeC

Planning on doing a leg of lamb for Easter dinner.  Dinner will be my wife and two kids, both my parents, and my mother inlaw.  This will be my first leg of lamb on the Kamado, any experts out there have any suggestions on how to prepare?  Any and all ideas welcome!  Thanks in advance...

Tried one this past weekend on the Joetisserie, wasn't happy with the seasoning I tried and think next time I'll do it with chimichurri. I kind of rushed cause it was a last minute cook and didn't have all the ingredients of the recipe I tried. 

I love lamb and cook it often. I use Greek seasonings because IMO Greeks are the masters of the lamb cook. This recipe will work exceptionally well for a leg of lamb. 

Kokkari Dressing

6 Tbs EVOO

2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice

4 tsp minced capers

2 tsp minced shallot

1 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp minced flat leaf parsley

1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano

1/4 tsp dried wild Greek Oregano, crumbled

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Leg of lamb is a pretty straight forward and easy cook, much like a prime rib. The only thing you need to watch out for is over cooking it. Lamb tastes wonderful when nice and moist, but not so much when it is on the dry overcooked side. At my house, we like it with an internal temp of between 130 and 135. I cook leg of lamb indirect above a CI pan of root veggies like fingerling potatoes, baby carrots, celery, onion. I like to use the veggie pan as a drip pan and catch the lamb drippings which  IMO add to the depth of flavor in the veggies. I add chicken broth and the same seasonings in the above recipe to the veggies and the lamb. I use a pit temp of between 325 and 350 and a probe in the lamb to show the IT.  If I was using the above dressing I would make it up and liberally spread it over the lamb and then let it set overnight in the fridge. I would have some additional to baste on during the cook. I would also cut some garlic cloves into slivers and smash them with the side of my knife blade and then push then into little slits cut with the tip of your knife all over the exterior of your leg of lamb. It is impossible to put too much garlic with lamb, IMO, anyway. Happy Cooking.  

I like the thought of the Kokkari dressing - might try that with my leg of lamb this week-end !

We cook a lot of lamb, but until recently mostly in a domestic oven. However, my experience echos the above advice in general regarding temps. One way I've done lamb many times is very simple (and often done in France). Make slits over the chubby side of the lamb. Insert a sliver of garlic and a small sprig of fresh Rosemary in each slit. Season all over with salt and pepper and maybe some olive oil. Then roast until the above suggested temps. Very simple but very tasty ! A drip tray underneath with sliced onions, stock and some wine in it makes a superb gravy with all those lovely lamb juices. I like to serve lamb cooked this way with Gratin Dauphinois (which I have done in the Kamado, with a slow roast shoulder of lamb) and green beans. Again very simple, but just seems a perfect combination. I think this would work great in the Kamado.

The thought is making me hungry !

Butterfly it off the bone and rub with olive oil, crushed garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and S&P. Cook direct over medium high heat for about 8-10 minutes turning often to avoid flare ups then finish indirect until desired IT is reached. It will only take about 30-40 minutes total this way and is delicious.

I too am cooking my first (boneless) leg of lamb roast. I have done chops before but never a roast. All of the recipes I have been looking at suggest trimming as much fat off as possible, dry brining, adding the remaining rub ingredients and cooking it low & slow (reverse sear) to the temps mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Keeper that's a nice dressing .joeC lamb is a great easy thing to cook .especially a bone in leg of lamb I like to score mine and let the flavors blend right in overnight wrapped in the fridge .if you search my name on the forum I'm sure you will find one or two lamb cooks lol .you can go straight bu I like mine in an Aluminum tray so I can cover with foil for part of the cook .there are so many things you can do .see if you get some insperation from these. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/top-10-roast-lamb-recipes . Like Keeper said don't over cook it 130 to 135 is ideal

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

This one is a blast from the past but tasted ever so good. https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21732-the-leg-of-lamb-that-i-took-to-my-mates-barbie/

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

If I can find me the right chunk of lamb might have to try that cook out this weekend. Sounds delicious.