How much [burgers, steaks, etc] can you cook on your Classic Joe?

zero

So a Costco near me is having a Kamado Joe Roadshow, and the lower prices are very appealing.  Probably puling the trigger this weekend on one, but I'm second guessing the size again.  I was talking to the salesman last weekend, and he asked how many people I typically cook for, which really is just me (bachelor life...so hard! :P), sometimes 4 to 5.  He said then the only thing I would really need is a Classic Joe, which can easily feed a family of 5.

And now here's the catch (and my reasoning for a new thread) - he (salesman) claimed you can conceivably cook burgers for a crowd of 20+ on a Classic Joe.  The trick (or workaround) he proposed being that with defelctor(s) in place, you can get a quick sear on the burgers over the coals direct, and let them finish on the indirect portion, stacking your patties on top of each other (four to five high, I would think), where they continue to cook without burning them.  Any of you tried this, or is this concept far-fetched?  Makes sense to me, but after thinking about sizes again for a few nights, I'm starting to lean toward the Big Joe once more.

1) Any of you with Big Joes wish you had something smaller?  May be laughable, but moving any of them is a pain, and I will have at least one more move in my life, likely coming soon.

2) Those of you with Classic Joes, how satisfied are you?  How often do you wish you had more surface area?

Thanks all!

The big joe is fantastic as far as being able to cook for a large group of people but is also versatile enough to cook for two or three. You can always cook less on a big joe but it would be harder (not impossible though) to cook more on a smaller grill. If you can get to the roadshow early enough to get the big joe deal your dilemma would be solved. You get the joe junior for free. It is ideal for anywhere from one to five people.
Can't go wrong with any of them though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Michaelf48 said:

The big joe is fantastic as far as being able to cook for a large group of people but is also versatile enough to cook for two or three. You can always cook less on a big joe but it would be harder (not impossible though) to cook more on a smaller grill. If you can get to the roadshow early enough to get the big joe deal your dilemma would be solved. You get the joe junior for free. It is ideal for anywhere from one to five people.
Can't go wrong with any of them though.

Thank you, Michael.  So the deal you speak of: I buy a Big Joe, and they give me a Joe Junior for free???  Are there other nuances to this?  How does the deal work?

Lastly, do I have any hope or prayer of getting either the Joe Classic, let alone the Big Joe in my 2010 Outback?  I measured my rig's tailgate opening, and it looks like the Classic box will just barely fit.  Worst case, I could open it and transport it disassembled.  I'm kicking myself now, because the "Joe" there had the dimensions there of each box for me, but it was on his tape measure that I took out to my car.  Do you have the packaging dimensions for each of these?  Thanks again!

To get the demo deal which includes the big joe and the joe junior it is best to be the first one there. I got mine by being at the Costco about an hour and a half before they opened.
If you take the classic demo I believe you get a cast iron wok and something else.
BUT......you have to be the first one to ask for the demo deal.
Then you will have to wait until the show is over and pick them up.
They are already assembled so it would most likely fit in your vehicle. You would just have to take the insides out so it will be easier to lift.
I am not positive about this but I think the dimensions of the big
joe box is 34 1/2 x34 1/2 × 39. I do not know the size of the classic box but it is smaller.

Thanks, @Michaelf48.  Good things to consider.  I showed up the afternoon of the first day of the roadshow, and he made the case for the demo classic, which included a dutch oven and maybe another extra not included in the "typical sale."  The Big Joes hadn't come in yet (which may be another reason he was making the case for the classic), so no word on that.  The show ends Saturday, so I think I may head back over then, to see if any of the demo deals are still available.

18 hours ago, zero said:

@Jesse  Hahaha, was that a Valentine's Day cook?  Or just love steak that much? :) 

Yup, that was a Valentines day cook but I also love steak. haha

7 hours ago, zero said:

Thanks, @Michaelf48.  Good things to consider.  I showed up the afternoon of the first day of the roadshow, and he made the case for the demo classic, which included a dutch oven and maybe another extra not included in the "typical sale."  The Big Joes hadn't come in yet (which may be another reason he was making the case for the classic), so no word on that.  The show ends Saturday, so I think I may head back over then, to see if any of the demo deals are still available.

Good luck on that, my neighbor has been hounding the rep for the big joe deal in your area. The new Big Joe's just arrived but the deal is already spoken for, you both are too late. haha

16 hours ago, Jesse said:

Yup, that was a Valentines day cook but I also love steak. haha

Good luck on that, my neighbor has been hounding the rep for the big joe deal in your area. The new Big Joe's just arrived but the deal is already spoken for, you both are too late. haha

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  I may still be in luck, actually.  If he's been hounding the KJ dealer, then the Costco deals could still be available.  Think I still might try today.  This forum keeps changing my mind!  I jotted some thoughts down briefly, and I was able to prove to myself that I honestly don't need anything bigger than a Classic for my needs.  But my needs could grow: one day I do hope to have a family, and after having a legit ceramic grill I may start entertaining more.  Ergo, I want a Big Joe.

Think I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of the rep at Costco and see if any of the demo deals are available.  If they are, I'll need to rent a truck!  If not, I can probably get away with borrowing a coworkers (his has a camper shell, limiting vertical space.

You won't regret going bigger. I have a Big Joe and Jr. and as many have pointed out it's a pretty perfect combo (short of the trifecta, of course).

I mostly cook for my wife and I but hope to do more entertaining now that we've bought a house. Never hurts to have more real estate. Even if you aren't cooking a ton of food you have more room to work with for zones, or sides etc. Also for your bigger cuts like briskets or ribs, you can end up cutting it pretty close on an 18" kamado. 24" gives you some breathing room.

As far as transport. I moved mine out of the box and it fit in our SUV.

6 hours ago, zero said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  I may still be in luck, actually.  If he's been hounding the KJ dealer, then the Costco deals could still be available.  Think I still might try today.  This forum keeps changing my mind!  I jotted some thoughts down briefly, and I was able to prove to myself that I honestly don't need anything bigger than a Classic for my needs.  But my needs could grow: one day I do hope to have a family, and after having a legit ceramic grill I may start entertaining more.  Ergo, I want a Big Joe.

Think I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of the rep at Costco and see if any of the demo deals are available.  If they are, I'll need to rent a truck!  If not, I can probably get away with borrowing a coworkers (his has a camper shell, limiting vertical space.

Better hurry, rep called and said that he only had 10 of the 2017 big joes left. When my neighbor got there he was down to 5 big joes. The rep posted on bookface yesterday that the classic demo was still available but it's the 2016 model.  Good luck man.

Better hurry, rep called and said that he only had 10 of the 2017 big joes left. When my neighbor got there he was down to 5 big joes. The rep posted on bookface yesterday that the classic demo was still available but it's the 2016 model.  Good luck man.

Thanks. Just called him and snagged the demo classic for pickup this weekend. Hope I don't have too much remorse when I see the Big Joe in person...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little late to the party with this answer but here it goes. Tonight on my classic I did a full rack of spare ribs, with tips(cut ribs St Louis style) & 10 chicken thighs. I used KJ expaned rack & 9x13 foil pan for chicken. In the past the most I have put on my classic was 2 racks of baby backs & 2 whole chickens. I used a rib rack & 2 chicken sitters for this one. This was prior to have my expansion rack. I haven't had any trouble with capacity on my classic. I do cook 98% for just me & the wife. If I ever need more space & still have my Weber Performer to fire up if needed. It have been in retirement since the classic has arrived on the patio.