bosco's Tacos Al Pastor

bosco

Well.... I have been talking to @Rak73 about these and decided to give it a go. I have read many differences in preparation and wasn't sure what way to go.  So like everything bosco, I decided to take the common ingredients from over 20 recipes, plus a little of my own likes and made my own recipe (following general guidelines to ensure that I hit the right taste). 

Now ow I have never had tacos al Pastor before so I won't know what to compare it to.  

I picked up a 12 lb. Boston but and cut a 4.5 lb chunk off the side and froze the rest for a later date.  

Thin sliced the butt and added to my marinade and let it stay in the fridge for 24 hours.  

I was going to roti cook it, but haven't added the bracket on the KKs yet for the summer.  So I decided that I would go straight grill with manual rotation.   

Stacked it all up and used wood skewers to hold to hold it together.  It's bigger than I expected so standing it wasn't an option as it would likely tip.  

Anyways here we are cooking away on the 32 Big Bad at 275.  I'm going to cook it all up then slice it and freeze some for another day.  

Smells great eat so far.....

IMG_8065.JPG

Well for my first time I think I hit it out of the park.  A few take away lessons for my next one.  I added some brown sugar to combat all the peppers.  I liked it but will dial it back or remove all together.  And next time half the onion will do as it was a bit strong.  Other than that, I will keep it pretty close to this recipe that I came up with.  

Final shot 

IMG_8078.JPG

2 hours ago, ryantt said:

As always, you put out amazing looking food. I'm glad I discovered this site, as you rarely make appearances on the green one

thanks so much.  I enjoy the other site because of the content and lots of members.  I try not to post too much as I don't own one... maybe a mini max one day

Absolutely.  Again may not be whatbsome deem to be authentic but I think that it is pretty close to all the reading that I have done 

3 dried Guajillo Chilies 
2 dried Ancho Chillies
2 Chipotle in adobo
1 tbsp adobo sauce 
3 garlic cloves
1/2 of a medium onion
1/4 cup cider vinegar 
1/2 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed)
1/4 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed)
12 tbsp brown sugar
100g of pineapple
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano (mexican if you have it)
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 pack achiote powder
1/4 cup of the dried chilli water to help if too thick

Blend the above ingredients into a paste

Take 5 lbs of a boston butt or pork of choice and thin slice into piece.  Marinate the pork for 24 hours.  

I then used skewers with a chunk of pineapple to start and then alternated pork then think slice of pineapple.