Kamado Al

My Costco Demo Deal

22 posts in this topic

So three things that are unsettling about the great Costco Big Joe Demo Deal I picked up today. One, I can't tell you until Monday. The other, well first the ride home was so nerve racking. You notice every single bump and the highways were in poor condition, with people driving like maniacs- despite it being Good Friday.  Longest drive of my life – trying to get this home in one piece.

Next, the BJ Demo has a broken or missing latch in the front so, I can't cook on it until I get the replacement. :roll:

IMG_2361.JPG

That's my latchless BJ on the right. I knew this going in but it makes the third thing really suck. I'm basically waiting to protect the innocent or naive. 

appsspec, jrow17 and ckreef like this

Nice!

George Carlin has a great perspective on "other drivers". 

-- Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

zero, dsarcher and Kamado Al like this

LOL...

I do tend to drive fast. But speed itself doesn't necessarily mean unsafe. I never cut drivers off, force my vehicle between cars when there is no clearance or ride so close to their bumper it jeopardizes both of our lives. Not that it would've done any good but, I wanted to have a bumper sticker that read...

Baby-On-Board.png

It's Monday...

Congrats on the purchase. How long do you expect to have to wait for the latch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's Monday. What couldn't you tell us until today? 

I know the nerve wracking feeling. I delivered a $4 KK to a forum member. 3 1/2 hour drive with it on the back of my trailer. I was really glad when that drive was over. 

Kamado Al likes this

Good am... So, i figure KJ has had a chance to look at their sales reports from the week by now... First of all, the Rep. is a heck of a nice guy. So, KJ if you are reading, please do not use my post as evidence, etc... :)

The Roadshow started on Friday and I got there on Saturday afternoon, basically after concluding the demo deal was gone- I had no real intent of purchasing at the time. I just casually asked about the deal and he said no one had grabbed it- Great thus far. After back and forth during the week, checking to see if i still wanted the deal, I get there on Friday to pickup and he informs me that I was the very first person to ask about the deal but, two or three other people inquired about the deal and that he gave them the deal in boxes. So, two things: gave them the deal???? And, in boxes????? I was 'nervous in the service' driving home and these guys get to drive home securely?

Yeah, I was pretty hot. Calling KJ now about the latch...

Mewantkj likes this

better pic of missing latch

IMG_2374.JPG

also gap in vent sealeant- don't know how big of an issue this is

IMG_2375.JPG

I had 2 gaps in the vent sealant on my 2017 KJ classic. Probably isn't a huge deal but I got some heat resistant silicone and filled them in before I did my first cook.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Update: I have praised and bragged on KJ support on numerous occasions and I look forward to many more years of top notch service from them so, I am by no means trashing them here. But, after finally getting through to the operator after two days of calling Customer Support, she seemed very unimpressed that this was a brand new BJ missing the handle and gave me the go to our website and report it there spiel.

I consider myself an extremely patient person however, if this were my very first KJ and I couldn't cook on it for the foreseeable future and CS took a 'we'll get it to you when you see it' approach- I'd be hella-hot right now. As it stands- it's no biggy. I didn't even bother to plead my case. :-D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Wildwr
      I've been running my Pitboss K24 since April 2016, average usage is 2-3 times a week and even with our Canadian winters it runs a minimum once a week.
      During one of my cooks I heard a pop and it wasn't until the next cook I noticed a crack running from the lower vent up about 8 inches.

I contacted Danson's and they responded the next day indicating a new base was being shipped out. 
      I didn't pay much attention to the delivery time although it didn't seem more than a week or so.
      To my surprise,  I was sent and entire Kamado, less the accessories, (i.e  side tables, cooking grates, top vent,  etc...) 

Danson's warranty rocks in my opinion and if they continue to provide service like this they should be around for a long time.

• By Kamado Al
      Starting the Resurrection Sunday Brisket- a 17lber from Costco. This one sort of made up for the lack of fat on my first Costco brisket. Threw a lot more of this one away. Still though, I think a have a good pre-cook 15lbs or so...

Saw these at Costco- couldn't resist... gotta try 'em.

And... my old standby, go to sausage... lol what a bad pic- it's Michael Kiolbasa from San Antone'

Where I come from, these qualify as sides... lol

• By zero
      So a Costco near me is having a Kamado Joe Roadshow, and the lower prices are very appealing.  Probably puling the trigger this weekend on one, but I'm second guessing the size again.  I was talking to the salesman last weekend, and he asked how many people I typically cook for, which really is just me (bachelor life...so hard! ), sometimes 4 to 5.  He said then the only thing I would really need is a Classic Joe, which can easily feed a family of 5.

And now here's the catch (and my reasoning for a new thread) - he (salesman) claimed you can conceivably cook burgers for a crowd of 20+ on a Classic Joe.  The trick (or workaround) he proposed being that with defelctor(s) in place, you can get a quick sear on the burgers over the coals direct, and let them finish on the indirect portion, stacking your patties on top of each other (four to five high, I would think), where they continue to cook without burning them.  Any of you tried this, or is this concept far-fetched?  Makes sense to me, but after thinking about sizes again for a few nights, I'm starting to lean toward the Big Joe once more.

1) Any of you with Big Joes wish you had something smaller?  May be laughable, but moving any of them is a pain, and I will have at least one more move in my life, likely coming soon.
      2) Those of you with Classic Joes, how satisfied are you?  How often do you wish you had more surface area?

Thanks all!
    • By Kamado Al
      The good news is I have secured the Big Joe Demo deal and picked up four bags of lump. The bad news is now I have to break the news to my wife and sell my Big Joe. 

No classic II on display. The rep said they'd have them his next show on the 21st. The demo is also missing the latch and a section of the firebox is chipped but I am going to make this work somehow. 

In other news, I am loving the new Costco stores. 

• By Kamado Al
      I finally found a Costco brisket up to my specs, so I going to see whether I can discern the difference between a choice packer and a prime. Granted, it would be best if they came from the same meat packer but, still... With all the talk of upcoming changes for the KJ in 2018, addressing idiot proof ease of lighting and temp control, I am wondering how many of those owners would be willing to be out in thirty plus degree weather at 2am to get one of these big boys started...

She didn't require much trimming so, I definitely lost less than a pound and a half and I think I am grossly overstating that...

Now with the rub. On second thought I need to add at least as much black pepper again in order to approach a proper Louie Mueller bark. I'll add it during the cook after the butcher paper. But, put here into back into the fridge to 'dry brine' on Wednesday.

1:45 and Big Joe is sluggish to come up to temp... shooting for 215° - 225°.