My Costco Demo Deal

later4ya

I know how you feel about the drive home. I recently picked up two Joe Jrs (both assembled floor models, one for a friend) about a two hour drive from my home and man the roads suddenly were in terrible condition and it seemed like people were determined to force me to slam on my brakes and accelerate suddenly or take sharp turns. Jerks.

On 4/17/2017 at 2:46 PM, chris13417 said:

I had 2 gaps in the vent sealant on my 2017 KJ classic. Probably isn't a huge deal but I got some heat resistant silicone and filled them in before I did my first cook.

I hear you. But, I don't like of idea of doing DIY on a brand new grill...

In other news, my latch was shipped today...

2526fb4efd690db74477120996351eeba0dbab327de17b94845205d871a21053_large.gif

2 hours ago, SamHarrisKJ said:

Did you mention what price you got it for in the end Al? Mine arrives tomorrow.........

Good question! Costco Receipt shows $1499; CC Bill shows $1444.99. Though, I am very disappointed in myself. I must have been under the influence of some Costco Demo Deal mojo because I failed to negoitiate the price of this defective Big Joe. :oops:

I consider myself a patient person but, 12 days after the purchase and still no latch for the BJ was weighing on me...

IMG_2374.JPG

The Fed Ex tracker said it would deliver Monday. Sigh, I was actually thinking the unthinkable of returning this to Costco either today or tomorrow. But, when I checked the mail, voilà.

IMG_2393.JPG

So here is the question then-  who can tell me what this piece is for? Never having seen an actual working latch, I am clueless...

IMG_2394.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So I understand it right, you were the first person to ask about the demo model that they showed off during the roadshow?  Then the rep sold boxed models for the same price he sold the floor model for?

In the end, what did you end up paying for floor/demo model Big KJ???

55 minutes ago, Purple87SS said:

So I understand it right, you were the first person to ask about the demo model that they showed off during the roadshow?  Then the rep sold boxed models for the same price he sold the floor model for?

In the end, what did you end up paying for floor/demo model Big KJ???

You pay the same price for the BJ floor model but they throw in the JR for free as the bonus

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, windnsea26 said:

I hope to find the "combo deal" this weekend. I have a classic but was looking for the big joe too. Would be nice to also get the jr as a bonus.  

Get there early , I think you will really like the JR for those small cook's , good luck , and nothing like having all 3 to show off even thou most people will think your nuts!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KamadoJim
      Hi,

What are the most popular size of Kamado? Is there any data on whether 18" / 24" / Other are best sellers?

Thanks
    • By COKAMADO
      All,

I am new to the site and messed up the location of my post by initially putting it in the introductions section. Below is the link to that post.

I am looking for ideas on small cracks forming in the firebox of my New Old Kinuura Yaki #5 Kamado.

Photo of kamado for fun

• By cameronleespencer
      Hello there!  

I'm new to the world of Kamado cooking and to this forum, so I'm looking forward to some dialogue.

So I recently found a Big Joe for sale on fb marketplace for the irresistible price of $100!  The main body is in not terrible shape, but it's missing quite a few items, and will need some cleaning/repair.  I'm hoping the combined expertise hear can help me get this thing in good working order for the least amount of extra $ possible, and more importantly without damaging the integrity of the grill.

Condition Report:
      The ceramic body itself is in good shape with no major cracks or chips.  There are a few issues that need to be addressed however:
      The upper part of the interior has some green staining.  I assume this is from algae/moss since I live in the PNW.  Any tips on how to gently clean this, or should I just do a burnout when I get the rest set up?  The felt gaskets are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced (tips on cleaning and removing gunk would be welcome too).  The wire mesh gasket is mostly intact but has come loose.  Does anyone know of an adhesive that would be safe to use to re-attach it?   I'm not sure what to call this, but the hole that helps align the hinge on the back side of the band has been worn quite a bit.  Making the hole about 1 1/2" long and the ceramic a bit crumbly there (see pic).  Does anyone know of any substance I could safely patch this with, and how best to reattach the bands?  
      Missing parts:
      At that low of a price I wasn't too concerned about replacing a few parts, but after price checking I found I need approx $400-$450 in replacement parts.  I can get most of these from BBQ Guys, but I figured I would reach out to the community here and see if people had recommendations for third party replacements, custom ideas, or (fingers crossed) extra parts that they need to get rid of.  Here is a list of what I need:
      Firebox Deflector Grill Grates Flex cooking rack (is this necessary or is there another way to grill/smoke without it?) Replacement Gasket kit Missing the upper half of the cart, not sure if I will try and purchase that, or make a custom table I will be focusing on grilling and smoking with this grill, so I don't really need some of the specialty items.

I know this is a lot of information/questions, so don't feel like you have to address everything, but if you have some advice on any of the subjects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy grilling!

• By Casey
      I have an opportunity to buy a Monolith classic (by size, pretty sure it isn't Le Chef) and looking for opinions on both the grill itself and whether it's a good price. About 1 year old, in good condition, with stones/grates, a CyberQ Cloud controller, and a table built by the owner. Unsure how well the control fan works (I couldn't get it to start with the CyberQ just fiddling around without lighting coals, and the owner said they never really figured it out). I've worked the seller down from $1575 to $1100 for everything, no tax, I pick it up myself. 

1. What do you think about this brand and model? An established German company but only in the US market a few years without much penetration yet. Made in China, maybe at the KJ factory? 
      2. Is this a fair price, or should I try to work lower? I had planned to go with either the Ceramic Akorn or Grilla Kong at lower prices (without table), but is this worth spending a little extra?

Thanks.
      caseymcmillan@hotmail.com

• By Jeirinlo
      Kamado Joe Classic I for sale, 4 years old, used condition, has crack on firebox (as probably all used Kamados) but that doesn’t affect the cooking. NEVER used lighter fluid always used high quality chips / charcoal

UPDATES:
      Wheels replaced last week
      Gasket replaced last week
      Back springs replaced 2 weeks ago (now the lid won’t fall by accident!)

INCLUDES:
      Cast iron cart
      Finished Folding HDPE Side Shelves
      Cover
      3 deflector plates
      2 half-moon stainless steel grate
      1 grate/grill lifter
      1 ash poker
      1 accessory rack
      1 flexible cooking rack
      1 pizza stone
      1 soapstone
      1 grilling glove

Asking for $550 OBO.
      Pick up at North Miami Beach (33162), can deliver to Miami-Dade/Broward for a fee