Question about the new KJ cap and grease buildup

bostoncoffeeparty

DSC00616-s.jpg

This was stuck closed today and I had to heat it up a bit to get it loose this time.  This surface should probably be cleaned after each cook to keep it from sticking.  There is a lot more surface area here than on the old style top vent and it makes the stick 'worse' because of that.  I have cleaned this one to almost new looking condition with some of those clorox wipes.  

Low and slow cooks gunk it up much more quickly than hot cooks do...

This being said....

In reality, I never use this slide off option on the top vent.  I can get the Joe up to over 600 degrees with the fine tune slider fully open.  If I wanted a fully open top I would still prefer to just lift the top section off of the vent than slide this to the open position.

I don't understand the need for the sliding top on this model of the top vent.  To me, it's redundant and its obviously a source of a 'problem' since it will stick shut more easily than the old one.  That will be perceived as a problem even though it's a totally unnecessary feature on the top.. lol

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I don't understand the need for the sliding top on this model of the top vent.  To me, it's redundant and its obviously a source of a 'problem' since it will stick shut more easily than the old one.  That will be perceived as a problem even though it's a totally unnecessary feature on the top.. lol

They could have used a simpler design like the Smokeware vent. 

KJ could design the cap to simply pull out entirely when you want to rasie the temp faster. This would have been much simpler and less clumsy than have the top slide.   

I thought that was the design they planned to go with.  I don't know why they decided to change the design from their prototype. 

42 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

They could have used a simpler design like the Smokeware vent. 

KJ could design the cap to simply pull out entirely when you want to rasie the temp faster. This would have been much simpler and less clumsy than have the top slide.   

I thought that was the design they planned to go with.  I don't know why they decided to change the design from their prototype. 

The top piece DOES pop right off.  That's why the slide out is redundant.  

On 4/20/2017 at 1:48 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

I realize that.  It's why I'm puzzled they bother with the slider in this design.

Probably thought it would be a convenance thing, you wouldn't have to look for a place to set the top down.

Hello all... Just some comments on my new top vent so far... 

I have only one 2 cooks so far... There does appear to be a buildup of greasy looking condensation that drips a little from the front and back of the vent. There also seems to be a decent amount smoke coming out of the very top, where the cap meets the metal below it (as others mentioned, the cap sits on there fairly loose)...the slider part hasn't stuck yet, but I can see grease building up and with the flat surface, I'm sure it will begin to stick at some point. 

It seems to work fine for temp control and allows pretty high temps without opening the slider at all... Just the top part. I have never used the daisy wheel variety, coming from a Grill Dome, so not sure how it compares to the original KJ top. 

JC

I get a little brutal with my top on my Big Joe.  I take off the cap and give it a couple of good whacks with my old cast iron fire grate from my Jr. (don't use it anymore with the Kick Ash basket)

Sure it has a couple of good nicks in the paint, but I don't care about that.  I use the Joe's to cook, not to look pretty and gleaming on the back porch.