Smoke Flavor: Kamado Vs. Pellet Cooker

Mr Cue

21 hours ago, smoker08 said:

rwalters - Don't feel bad about not having a kamado anymore. We all make decisions and pass on what we learn and have fun. I would probably have a more favorable view of my pellet if I had gotten a better one. I have a Traeger and it is thin metal, leaks like a sieve, and eats more pellets than an NFL lineman eats food after a days practice when I have it at anything but the smoke setting. I'm blown away that your smoker can be programmed. That would make it absolutely fantastic. Still cost to operate winner is still the my Akorn.

You perfectly summed up my experience with my Treager. I used to smoke on smoke setting and do the cooking in the oven.

The minute that I raised the temp--I could open the the door to the pellet box and watch the pellets go down. The cost of operation was an obstacle. Beef and pork were good but I did not care for the taste of chicken. It had an odd sweet flavor. Possibly the high alder content in the pellets that I could buy locally.

What models of pellet smokers are double insulated with gasket seals on the loading door?

Does any one have any direct experience with Cook Shack pellet cookers?

The Fast Eddy's by Cook Shack are all stainless, built to be exposed to weather,to hold the heat, not rust, the electrical components are protected against water,and are designed to use minimal pellets when operating.

They are not cheap but look to to be very well made and possibly just the thing for a commercial operation.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Grills

3 hours ago, Kamado Al said:

The pic from last summer of all the meat you threw in the trunk of that car ranks as the single most sexy thing I have ever seen...

:-DB);-):-P

Oh, and I forgot- my homemade rack does actually provide more space than the KJ extender which is a 3/4 rack if I'm not mistaken.

IMG_1846.jpg

That was a stressful cook! I had to do two batches over a period of 23 hours and hope it all turned out well so bridezilla didn't go off on me! 

On 4/20/2017 at 8:40 AM, bosco said:

Well, I have been a kamado die hard for the past 5+ years now and recently acquired a Traeger Pro 34 in December.  I love it, I can honestly say that.  I have produced my best butts, and brisket to date on my pellet smoker.  I have learned how to use the smoke feature to add heavy smoke as the cook starts out, then I raise the temp by turning a knob and within minutes I am at my desired temp.  

I have cooked about everything that you can cook on a grill with the pro 34, and have not yet been disappointed.  The only downfall is higher heat cooking.  Anything around 350-400, no problem.  I keep a small stainless steel bowl of water in the grill during low and slow cooks to help the moisture environment, and honestly I would say that the pellet smoker beats out the kamado at this point for low and slow. 

Busy days and nights, I turn the dial and walk away, no fuss at all.  The other nice feature is cooking without charcoal once and a while.  I have a new appreciation for food without the heavy charcoal flavour.  

I have decided to purchase the new Traeger Timberline 1300 when they become available.  The shortcomings that I found with the pro34, the new timberline corrects and it has a huge grilling area with three grates for 1300 sq. inches of space.  

If you have a kamado already, spend on a pellet, it is a great compliment 

so you ready to give up your kk's lol

its all opinion and my buddy has a traegar and in no way does it compete with his primo and of course the kk for low and slow but i am happy you love it just cant wrap my head around that you have the Cadillac of all grills that does it all and it looks like you are using traegar more lol 

best of luck to you with it

It's versatility.  I love the KKs and would never part with them but I do love having the option for quick cooks and long cooks when I'm too busy.  

Sometimes it's nice to be able to cook without lump too! The pro 34 was a loaner  and I liked it and see a use for it with my schedule 

11 hours ago, Kamado Al said:

The pic from last summer of all the meat you threw in the trunk of that car ranks as the single most sexy thing I have ever seen...

:-DB);-):-P

Oh, and I forgot- my homemade rack does actually provide more space than the KJ extender which is a 3/4 rack if I'm not mistaken.

IMG_1846.jpg

Do you have the specifics of the hardware you used?

3 hours ago, chaded said:

Do you have the specifics of the hardware you used?

2 hours ago, afingerhut said:

I used 3/8 x 3-5 inch stainless hex or carriage bolts, nuts and washers. I've made 3 layers with descending grid sizes. 23", 20" 18.5"

Pretty much the the same as afingerhut: 3/8" by 8" ss carriage bolts, with ss fender washers, ss nuts and ss lock washers. I used the Weber 22.5" Hinged Cooking Grate (has thicker ) so, I was able to position the carriage bolts to prevent the 'wings' from opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my turn, I seem to have the opposite opinion. so let me start with my experience

I started in BQQ in 1995. I purchased two Oklahoma Joe's cookers, wood burners, I looked like the bomb squad going down the street. I used them for awhile and loved them , all except the fact that you had to stay up all night feeding it wood

in early 1996 I was introduced to the original Traegers made in Oregon by Fast Eddie at the National BBQ convention. I purchased a 100 and two 150 units on the spot.

I then entered the Louisiana state competition in 1996. I brought both the stick burners and still in the box Traegers. I wanted to compare results. I won the Grand Championship on the Traegers and was hooked from them, I then purchased three 200 units (on wheels) and sold the Joe's

thru the years I won another state competition, went to the Royal, and the Jack Daniels . When Cookshack came out with the original Fast Eddie Version I knew I had to have them. AS stated before, the construction is night and day different than Traeger. Stainless Steel insulated, solid build, gasket etc.   I was able to upgrade the controller to the new digital version and to this day use them both. easy to start, set and forget and go to bed

Now, I no longer cater, my kids are grown up and I hate pulling out this refrigerator size unit for two or three racks of ribs

so I just as in last week got the Pit Boss at Costco.  I was amazed at how much better the smokey flavor was on the PB as compared to the Fast Eddies. I was VERY impressed.

The build quality of the PB is , so so,  I had to buy extra felt and jury rig gaps and still can not get an air tight seal... I do have it dialed in using the Digi Q from BBQ Guru.   So this weekend I will replace it with a Kamado Joes from Costco road show.

in summary for me, ceramics have more smoke flavor, good for small amounts of food, easy to use

The Fast Eddies pellet, easy to start, consistent quality, less smokey flavor, high volumn. I can do 21 rack of ribs or 12-16 butts depending on size.

that's my 2 cents worth

10 hours ago, devildogdad said:

Ok my turn, I seem to have the opposite opinion. so let me start with my experience

I started in BQQ in 1995. I purchased two Oklahoma Joe's cookers, wood burners, I looked like the bomb squad going down the street. I used them for awhile and loved them , all except the fact that you had to stay up all night feeding it wood

in early 1996 I was introduced to the original Traegers made in Oregon by Fast Eddie at the National BBQ convention. I purchased a 100 and two 150 units on the spot.

I then entered the Louisiana state competition in 1996. I brought both the stick burners and still in the box Traegers. I wanted to compare results. I won the Grand Championship on the Traegers and was hooked from them, I then purchased three 200 units (on wheels) and sold the Joe's

thru the years I won another state competition, went to the Royal, and the Jack Daniels . When Cookshack came out with the original Fast Eddie Version I knew I had to have them. AS stated before, the construction is night and day different than Traeger. Stainless Steel insulated, solid build, gasket etc.   I was able to upgrade the controller to the new digital version and to this day use them both. easy to start, set and forget and go to bed

Now, I no longer cater, my kids are grown up and I hate pulling out this refrigerator size unit for two or three racks of ribs

so I just as in last week got the Pit Boss at Costco.  I was amazed at how much better the smokey flavor was on the PB as compared to the Fast Eddies. I was VERY impressed.

The build quality of the PB is , so so,  I had to buy extra felt and jury rig gaps and still can not get an air tight seal... I do have it dialed in using the Digi Q from BBQ Guru.   So this weekend I will replace it with a Kamado Joes from Costco road show.

in summary for me, ceramics have more smoke flavor, good for small amounts of food, easy to use

The Fast Eddies pellet, easy to start, consistent quality, less smokey flavor, high volumn. I can do 21 rack of ribs or 12-16 butts depending on size.

that's my 2 cents worth

I looked at the FEC100 but it's a bit out of my price range. You plan on selling your Cookshacks now that you've moved on? 

It seems all has been said. I will just say I own a RecTec 680 and it is a great machine. They are tanks and the 40lb hopper is great. I am sure you will be happy with what ever you buy but if a 1000.00 is your budget you can not go wrong. On top of that the customer service is out of this world. I have pushed close to 400 pounds of pellets and had one small troubleshooting issue. It was a Saturday and Ray the owner called me and walked me through what I needed to get the cook going. I am waiting for my Kong to arrive so I can not give you an opinion on one vs. the other.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:53 PM, afingerhut said:

Sounds exciting! Whether you add another cooker or not, there is definitely space to take advantage of with extra racks. I have a 3/4 tier setup that I've built for my big joe. Have some refining to do, but I don't really have need to cook as much as I am able.

24" KJ grid + 23" vision grid + 20" CGS + 18.5" Weber grid (KJ expander shown for testing). Depending on thickness of meat I can add or remove layers as needed.

b4546e20c6ea6593925d722d1386b092.jpg

No question going to do this now,. Thanks