Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wilpark

How do you keep your Kamado Clean?

16 posts in this topic

After my first use my Kamado became all black on the inside. I've fired it up as high as it would go and the firebox and fire ring cleans pretty nicely but the interior of the dome didn't get any better.

I know I probably shouldnt care but I kinda do. Especially when I see folks with Kamado domes much cleaner than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@wilpark - relax!  Stick with the decaf.  A high temp burn for about 30 minutes after ever low and slow cook should do the job.  Don't get too carried away with this clean stuff.  You don't need to.

wilpark and prowe like this

[mention=12268]wilpark[/mention] - relax!  Stick with the decaf.  A high temp burn for about 30 minutes after ever low and slow cook should do the job.  Don't get too carried away with this clean stuff.  You don't need to.

You're right. And i haven't had any coffee in two days.

CeramicChef likes this

On the topic of cleaning..... I'm kind of anal about keeping my grills clean of ash. I have a dedicated metal wet vac I use for vacuuming ash from the Kegs, Primo and my Traeger every so often. This helps to make them burn cleaner and more efficiently.

rwalters likes this

9 hours ago, Cajunate said:

On the topic of cleaning..... I'm kind of anal about keeping my grills clean of ash. I have a dedicated metal wet vac I use for vacuuming ash from the Kegs, Primo and my Traeger every so often. This helps to make them burn cleaner and more efficiently.

IF you use a vacuum, make certain that you get a dry wall filter.  No sense scattering ash all over!

I have an ash vac that takes care of any ash. I vacuum regularly. I was more concerned about the really fine soot that can't be vacuumed up. But

I take my firebox out about once every 6 to 8 months and sweep/vacuum out the ash that has gotten behind it.   I never worry about the dome.  I do enough hotter cooks that it's never a problem.  It stays black/gray all the time. 

If you do more low and slow cooks and not enough hotter cooks you will get buildup on the inside of the dome that might need to be brushed out.

CeramicChef, wilpark and TKOBBQ like this

I mostly roast with my kamado and it gets pretty disgusting where I don't want to touch it.  

About once a year, I pull it apart and brush it out, do a high temp cook, and brush it out again.

Just be careful, you don't want to fry your gasket.

I take my firebox out about once every 6 to 8 months and sweep/vacuum out the ash that has gotten behind it.   I never worry about the dome.  I do enough hotter cooks that it's never a problem.  It stays black/gray all the time. 

If you do more low and slow cooks and not enough hotter cooks you will get buildup on the inside of the dome that might need to be brushed out.

Thanks for the tip. I use it mostly for low and slows but will open full blast to clean out. I vacuum up the ash every 3/4 cooks. Will try brush on the dome too.

I scrape the ash out before every cook (much easier now with the KickAsh basket I won in a challenge here!).  After each cook, I clean the grates, then wipe down all exterior surfaces including the "nest" and shelves.  Then it sits overnight in the garage before I cover it and put it away in the garage.

I want to add that for easy and quick ash cleaning between cooks and to improve lump burning it helps to have a Kick Ash Basket. I love mine!!!!!

Cgriller64 likes this

With the responses in this thread I'll never take a picture of the inside  my domes. They're like a black hole in space. 

Don't worry about it - cook more often. 

philpom likes this

Cook pizza every week or 2.  Do about 3 or 4 at a time.  

Like your style. Killing two birds with a single stone.

philpom likes this