GS1397

Crack in the firebox

17 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Cleaning out the Classic B today and noticed after the first cook, there's a small crack in the firebox. Pics below. I have emailed Vision to file a claim, but as of yet (only been a couple of hours) I haven't heard back. I am hoping for a positive experience based on what others have posted. I guess a question that I have for others more experienced is why would this happen and how do you avoid it in the future? And I am assuming it's safe to use in the meantime...

TIA,

GS

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

Not really; I got it up to around 550-600 or so; but no deflectors; just the grate and a skirt steak..

I'm only telling you this to hopefully ease any disappointment you may end up experiencing...

This same issue has been posted on here and if I remember correctly, Vision has replied to those users that this crack is not abnormal and to not remove the firebox from the outer shell to avoid further damage.

I certainly wish you good luck though in getting it fixed/replaced!!!!

Some similar issues:

From one of the threads:

This is the email from them. 

Thank you for the photos. This is not an uncommon occurrence with any ceramic grill, especially after several uses. As you know, the purpose of the fire bowl is to hold fuel. If it ever fails to do so, it will be replaced (per our warranty). It is our experience that cracks like this rarely develop into a broken fire bowl. I would urge you not to remove the fire bowl to clean it, but keep it in place in the grill. A shop vac will work well to clean out the ash. I will keep your photos on file should there be any issues in the future.

As for the gaskets, they are covered for a year, but your grill isn’t registered. Please do so on our website here: http://www.visiongrills.com/resources/register-your-grill/ and send a picture of your receipt by return email. Once we have those, we’ll send you a new set of gaskets.

Best,

And from their website:

Q: Upon inspection of the interior fire bowl, I noticed a crack running from the bottom of the expansion joint to the center of the fire bowl.
A:
Periodically, unglazed ceramic will have surface fractures. These appear as cracks, but will not affect the integrity or performance of the interior fire bowl. If any cracking migrates or the fire bowl breaks, please email a picture of the damage to the Vision Grills customer support team (help@visiongrills.com). To keep your fire bowl in the best condition possible, do not remove it after installation.

It's something I worry about myself!!!!!

Thanks Glocker; I will let you guys know what they say when I hear from them; I don't see it affecting the usability of the grill, and get it that this is something that happens, but the grill is brand new and only used once..

GLOCKer likes this

Well it looks like Glocker was right on the money with the response from Vision. 

They indicated that this is not uncommon, should it fully break, they will replace it, not to move it and if I need to clean it, a shop vac will do nicely. I responded that I understand that over time this could happen, but shouldn't on the first cook and I wasn't happy that they weren't going to do a warranty replacement. So we will see what the next reply is. I'll keep you updated. 

BillJ likes this

Thanks for posting about this. I've only cooked twice (next one is tomorrow - a slow cook with a brisket), but I've been leaving the coals in the fire bowl.  After tomorrow, I will clean it out and inspect.  If I find anything I will post it on this thread.

Just thought I'd share with you my experience.  I own 6 Vision grills and compete with them professionally.  I have had a few fire bowls crack in the same manner as yours and I have had little issue with it.  I remove the firebowls after each cook and clean them out completely when on the road competing (as I need to get the cookers to cool down after a cook so they can be loaded in a trailer for transport).  When removing the cracked bowls, I am simply careful to set them down on level ground to clean out the cooker and have never experienced a full break - they keep working perfectly.  I did have one bowl break on me once while in transport, but they are bouncing around on a highway during travel, so I expected it may happen.  Vision replaced the broken bowl immediately.  While I understand the notion of questioning the crack when it is so new, it does occur on occasion, just like chips and glazing can occur on the exterior - shouldn't be anything to worry about unless it breaks in two.  Enjoy your Vision, I know I do!

BillJ likes this

Yeah, no big deal really. Actually happens frequently, but in my experience it can and most likely will  stay exactly like it is now for years to come. I think the Vision talking point used to be something like this: The purpose of a fire box is to hold charcoal, when yours can  no longer accomplish that function, we will immediately replace it. Until then, Happy Cooking. Sums it up pretty succinctly and is actually right on point. All ceramic has the potential to crack, and  thats why you have a warranty. I would't worry about it for longer than it takes to open another beer, Vision is a good company, with good customer service, and seems to be here for the long haul. 

My crack is the same! My response from Vision the same. I have come to terms with a crack. Grill is still functional. I hope that if the bowl gets worse that Vision will keep their end of the deal on the warranty. Still cooking 3 to 4 time a week. The busy season of grilling is in full swing! Happy cooking.

Mine had a crack after a handful of cooks. I didn't notice it until I cleaned it all out to return it. 

Whyd you return it?

I haven't cleaned mine out since I changed lump brands, I just stir it around, try and push the small stuff through the grate and load more in, I notice when I leave it in there I get better control than freshly cleaned, I think it's because the ash drawer gasket (grill side not drawer side) leaks. I figured the small bits of ash and charcoal must be dampening the air a bit, makes me wonder now if mine is cracked lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk