Burgers and Smoke

GS1397

Hey Guys,

Did burgers tonight. Just to experiment, once I got it up to around 550, I threw in a handful of hickory chips just to add a little smoke. The ensuing smoke was more than I had anticipated, but the burgers turned out great! I have posted a video that shows the smoke and it is coming out of the chimney vents but also looks like it's coming out of the bottom of the chimney where almost like the felt isn't sealing against the cast iron. I tested and closed the vents for a few seconds and the bottom vent had smoke coming out the ash drawer; not a lot but some. 

My question is how big of a deal is it that there seems to be those little leaks. This is only the third cook I have done and the second one was salmon that I was able to keep at 350 pretty good. All three times, I have closed the vents and after the cool down, I have left over lump, which means the grill is sealed up pretty tight I think. 

Thanks in advance for the comments. 

GC

grill 2c.mp4

grill 1a.mov

Mine is 4 yrs old It will do the same if I shut it down full of smoke ,Smoke will come out the top vent and bottom vent ,They just are not made to be air tight so nothing to worry about . Mine dose slow cooks just fine .  I would try to keep under 500 as much as possible and your wool gasket will last along time,I have cooked hamburgers at 350 heat soaked .I cooked the very thin ones on the upper grate and had them slightly pink in the center ,very juicy .experiment you will be surprised at what it can do.   

Mine is 4 yrs old It will do the same if I shut it down full of smoke ,Smoke will come out the top vent and bottom vent ,They just are not made to be air tight so nothing to worry about . Mine dose slow cooks just fine .  I would try to keep under 500 as much as possible and your wool gasket will last along time,I have cooked hamburgers at 350 heat soaked .I cooked the very thin ones on the upper grate and had them slightly pink in the center ,very juicy .experiment you will be surprised at what it can do.   

Welllll that's not true

But because of the ash drawers design it makes them inherently not as airtight as other versions/models/methods

Mine does the same as you can see here
f0eaa2b37b3736c29bc256ea8e0ff651.jpg

e6455a297ea4b449c68fe1c4b444a61d.jpg

Interestingly enough though it's not my door that is leaking it's actually the grill side where the gasket is attached to the grill is leaking from behind it where they siliconed it not the gasket to gasket seal between the draw and grill

I contacted vision and they sent me a new gasket and silicone to remove he grill one and reattach it but I have done it, I noticed as I've been using it (and I don't clean out the ash and bits of charcoal) it's been getting better/manageable, I figure that the left overs must be making less airflow possible thus helping it. Biggest problem I have is I can only have the lid open for 1 minute or less otherwise I get a raging fire as the air fuels the coals leaking through lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same model Vision as above the Pro, mine to had air leaks. Customer service sent me new gaskets but they didn't work because slide out door and tray didn't lay flat with metal base attached to grill. I disassembled completely and glued big metal nuts to base of ash tray slide, now the base plate lined up correctly. I then sealed with fabric gasket and some High Temp Sealant. Next step was to remove rubber gaskets on ash door and install new gasket material around door. Please see photos,

I now love my grill which I have had for about 4 years now.

Thanks, hope this helps someone.

P5244965.JPG

P5244962.JPG

P5244961.JPG