Sign in to follow this  
JC33

New Kamado Joe Classic II-2017!

Hello all...just joined the forum, so will see if I can also copy to introduction thread or do a separate post.  I have a couple of questions that I wanted to ask, however.  I just got a new KJ Classic 2017 version from the Costco roadshow...did a first cook the next evening.  I have 3 questions and added a couple of pics...if anyone can advise on this, please let me know:

1)How do I register my KJ purchase with Kamado Joe?  I found a registration page, but it appears to be outdated...

2)The new side tables are both a little misaligned, I guess you would say...not completely level.  Each side slopes upward going out from the body of the grill.  It looks like the cut-out on the table arms is a little shallow, so that it will not go all the way down into a level position.  Not a huge deal, but wondering if they are all this way?

3)(please see pics attached)...this part came inside of the box that contained the grate lifter tool.  Anyone know what it is for?  

Thanks so much for the help...enjoyed lots of looking around here before I made my purchase and look forward to staying in touch!  I have used a Grill Dome for many years and am now looking forward to many miles on the KJ!

JC33

20170424_090238.jpg

20170424_090227.jpg

Hmmm, interesting...instructions in the new booklet about 2017 features (the one that came with the grill) show 2 possible means for adjusting the counterbalance tension, based on the set-up that you have.  And it is also different for the classic vs Big Joe size, of course.  

Oh, funny, speaking of the hinge...before the first cook, i could slowly lift the top and it would stay in place in any position, top to bottom.  However, during a cook and after, it seems that it has change...now, it is still very easy to lift and it will sit perfectly at the top level, but it will not stay anywhere in between...it will drop on down.  

Thanks!

You can register at the Kamado Joe website.  Scroll down to the bottom, there's a link to the registration page (http://www.kamadojoe.com/forms/grillRegistration).  Trying to register via Firefox didn't work but it did work, with a confirmation email, via Chrome.

I purchased at a Costco Friday.  Haven't had the opportunity to cook on it yet.  My side tables are like yours.  The height difference outside to inside to make them level is about 6 quarters stacked.  The tables do have a little flex in them.  I figured it was a way to ensure that they didn't flex and let a dish slide table.  I set a cast iron skillet on the table and it deflected a little.  A 20 pound turkey would probably deflect the table more.  I could always file off some of the metal in the notch of the inside arm but doubt I'll bother. 

Like you, I have the extra part.  If I find out what its for I'll post here.  It came in the box with the grill grabber on mine.  

Thanks everyone and thanks NCJeff!  

So, yeah, I figured out the registration a short time ago...the page loaded up fine on my PC via Chrome.  I think maybe I was on a tablet initially.  I appreciate the info about the side tables as well.  Yeah, I was wondering if it was "by design" and providing for some flex over time to level them out with weight.  However, mine only seem to flex so far, or deflect, as you say.  I think you're right about just filing some metal out of the notch...probably wouldn't take much to align.  

As for that mysterious extra part? No idea yet...I'll post as well, when I find out. 

JC

This little bag came also with my 2017 Kamado Joe Classic and it is probably a spare bushing and nut/washer for the cast wheels. This is what I deducted looking at the design of the wheel attachment.

Thanks

48 minutes ago, SergioTibo said:

This little bag came also with my 2017 Kamado Joe Classic and it is probably a spare bushing and nut/washer for the cast wheels. This is what I deducted looking at the design of the wheel attachment.

Thanks

Hi Sergio... If you read my post just above, I describe what the part is... Well, at least this is what they tell me from KJ customer support.