Fuel consumption?

Since the middle of February I've went through 1 35# bag of fogo, 2 35# bags of jealous devil, 1 20# of primo, 2 15# of royal oak. Ran out last night......fogo arrived today just in time.                     

Wondering home much  some of you gurus go through that grill more than I do. Anyone keep up with it? Only reason I know is I got new kamado in February and loaded up on lump.

Another thing to thing about is your technique when starting it.  Most of my cooks are in the 350 - 400 F range for roasting chicken etc.  If I use a torch to light the cooker, I can have it up to temp in just a few minutes as it ignites a lot of the charcoal.  If I use a cotton ball and take my time with more closed vents (45 - 60 mins) to get it up to temp similar to a low and slow technique, I can cook using much less fuel.

At my peak I was going through 2 KJ bags of lump per month which is about 40lbs (cant remember if its 40lbs or 44lbs).  That's me cooking every night or every other night and maybe a low and slow in there.  I think Panchango is on it with the lighting method.  I use cotton balls in alcohol.  On some cooks it barely looks like I used any lump at all and its still full and mostly new after I shake out the ash.

I used the cotton balls for low and slow when I had the Akorn but now I have the Primo XL it seemed to take way to long to get to a 250 temp, so I've just been using the iron. I'm sure my lump has doubled from the Akorn days.....kinda wishing I hadn't sold it, those things heat up so quick and with very little heat source.

2 hours ago, afingerhut said:

I do a lot of high heat cooking during the week but reduce my consumption by getting the heat source closer to the food. Requires less lump, starts quickly and puts a mean sear on.

33bbebee7c28985717c78c3d46582401.jpg

I also use a divided setup for smaller cooks

c5689b4b0467ebf5e6de05b98283808a.jpg

Your post may have me getting a kick ash basket.  I like that idea.  Did you make the divider yourself?

I was suprised after my Resurrection Sunday brisket cook from of close to 13 hours. There was close to 2/5ths ro 1/2 a KAB load of the KJ Big Block left. I then consumed it by doing a hi temp clean. :-D The types of cooks definitely are the number 1 factor in consumption however, I also often utilize the divider to limit lump consumed as well.

16 hours ago, Timtogrill said:

I used the cotton balls for low and slow when I had the Akorn but now I have the Primo XL it seemed to take way to long to get to a 250 temp, so I've just been using the iron. I'm sure my lump has doubled from the Akorn days.....kinda wishing I hadn't sold it, those things heat up so quick and with very little heat source.

@Timtogrill - my friend, my Primo experience differed vastly from yours.  I could get my Primo to 250° is short order and it was very fuel efficient.  My question to you is just what were you expecting from your Primo when you bought it?  Look at the differential in mass.  All that mass in the Primo is a real asset if you know how to use it.  Fuel consumption?  C'mon!  Tim, if fuel consumption is a deal breaker and causes you angst, get another Akorn and sell the Primo.  There are a ton of folks who would love to have a Primo!  

I assume that when you're cooking at 250°, it's a low-n-slow cook, right?  Let's examine a few things.  First, I have used cotton balls in the Primos to start fires, no problem.  Ever.  I find electric starters a rather crude and very dangerous means of getting a fire started.  I've posted on that before here.

Time to temp?  Let's not be so harsh on your Primo.  You have a lot more mass to heat soak.  Maybe it will take you an additional 20, 30 minutes max to get your Primo settled.  On a low-n-slow cook, what is 20 minutes over a 12-13 hour cook?  What is the big rush?  You are dithering at the edges.  Further, if you know your Primo and you are REALLY in a rush, light your fire, assemble your Primo for the low and slow, set your vents at the positions that will yield 250°, button things up and walk away!  That Primo will do its job just fine.  I have done that many times with no problems.

Stop trying to cook on your Primo the way you cooked on your Akorn.  Learn your cooker and it's idiosyncrasies.  You wouldn't try and force a fully loaded Cadillac to operate like the bargain basement auto you had back in high school would you?

Now before all you Akorn lovers  think I am bashing or denigrating the Akorn, I'M NOT!  Don't even think about going there.  I owned an Akorn.  It's a good cooker.  But it is a much different cooker than a Primo.  And @TimtogrillIs trying to make Comparisons that simply aRe not fair to either cooker.  Both will get the job done and both are fine cookers for What they are intended to do.  

18 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

@Timtogrill - my friend, my Primo experience differed vastly from yours.  I could get my Primo to 250° is short order and it was very fuel efficient.  My question to you is just what were you expecting from your Primo when you bought it?  Look at the differential in mass.  All that mass in the Primo is a real asset if you know how to use it.  Fuel consumption?  C'mon!  Tim, if fuel consumption is a deal breaker and causes you angst, get another Akorn and sell the Primo.  There are a ton of folks who would love to have a Primo!  

I assume that when you're cooking at 250°, it's a low-n-slow cook, right?  Let's examine a few things.  First, I have used cotton balls in the Primos to start fires, no problem.  Ever.  I find electric starters a rather crude and very dangerous means of getting a fire started.  I've posted on that before here.

Time to temp?  Let's not be so harsh on your Primo.  You have a lot more mass to heat soak.  Maybe it will take you an additional 20, 30 minutes max to get your Primo settled.  On a low-n-slow cook, what is 20 minutes over a 12-13 hour cook?  What is the big rush?  You are dithering at the edges.  Further, if you know your Primo and you are REALLY in a rush, light your fire, assemble your Primo for the low and slow, set your vents at the positions that will yield 250°, button things up and walk away!  That Primo will do its job just fine.  I have done that many times with no problems.

Stop trying to cook on your Primo the way you cooked on your Akorn.  Learn your cooker and it's idiosyncrasies.  You wouldn't try and force a fully loaded Cadillac to operate like the bargain basement auto you had back in high school would you?

Now before all you Akorn lovers  think I am bashing or denigrating the Akorn, I'M NOT!  Don't even think about going there.  I owned an Akorn.  It's a good cooker.  But it is a much different cooker than a Primo.  And @TimtogrillIs trying to make Comparisons that simply aRe not fair to either cooker.  Both will get the job done and both are fine cookers for What they are intended to do.  

I should have finished my post with "I wish I would have keep the Akorn for those quick small cooks. I would never think about going back to Akorn and giving up the Primo.....ever! I understand there's more mass to heat up, new that before moving to Primo.

Didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about how much lump I'm using or the amount of time it takes, heck I'm usually disappointed when the cook is over :sad:

I will search for your post on electric starters, never new they could be dangerous.