Classic II Vent Settings

Team PCBeach

This weekend I will do my first cook on my new KJ Classic II.  Has anyone cooked on theirs long enough to give a starting guide for vent settings on the new cap.  It is so very different from the old cap that I think i will probably just do a lump burn on Saturday just to play with vent settings.

I can't compare it to the older version because I have never had one... Used to use a Grill Dome, and the vent cap is different. I have done 2 cooks so far with Temps in the 375 to 400 range. Initially, I had the slider open (alternatively you could pull the cap off) for a few minutes at first, but pretty quickly closed it and used the dial settings... The KJ still heats up smoothly and quickly and per KJ instructions, can hit 600 degrees that way. I got to 375ish and it maintained there well with maybe 1.5 to 2 inches open on the bottom and between line 1 and 2 on the top slider. From what I could tell, the Temps are pretty sensitive to minor adjustments to the slider/dial.

Thanks, that is a good starting point.  I plan to fire mine up this weekend and just play with settings a little.  I think I will be like you and open the slider vs pulling the cap off.  I am afraid repeated removal of the cap will loosen how tight it sits.

I did a test today using some leftover lump.  Temp shown is from Maveric 732.  Dome was close, but a little higher.

Full firebox of left over lump.

Outside temp 80 and a little breezy.

Bottom Vent --- Top Vent -- Temp

1" --- 1st line -- 350+/-

1" --- 2nd line -- 550

1" -- 3rd line --- 650+ (dome temp as this is over temp for Maverick)