Uuni pizza oven

freddyjbbq

all the pizza talk around the forum has grabbed me hook, line & sinker.

i checked into the blackstone pizza oven that many folks on here have & love but at the end of the day my interest seems to lie in combustion method other than propane (or strictly propane).  

I've done some checking into the Uuni and am intrigued.  they have a larger model in the works that will be available end of summer & i'm seriously considering.

anyone have/try one?  https://www.amazon.com/Uuni-Wood-Fired-Stone-Baking-Board/dp/B01E6XWUIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493219929&sr=8-2&keywords=uuni+3

It's gotta be fantastic, it's Finnish design after all [emoji6][emoji109]

Haven't tried it but watched a whole bunch of the videos. What sort of bugs me, is that they always end up burning crust on the side facing fire.

They should design rotisserie to sping the pizza while it cooks for more even end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I too am intrigued by the idea of the unni.  The motorized blackstone provides a more even cook.  The uuni requires you to spin the pie to cook both sides.  Atleast that is what I have seen online.  

I am sure you could convince the Boston area gurus to show up for a pizza party.  I will bring the dough....

Freddy I have huge respect for your knowledge and abilities. If you get one please post pictures and your thoughts after you have used it a while.

My reading on the Uuni and reviews from some users led me to to conclusion that it can put out good pizza and there is a learning curve. The heat is concentrated at the back and since there is no spinning platter it is easy to burn things at the back. Many pictures of food made on it showed burning from the massive heat at the back. Many people said that they loved them once they got that figured out and got the timing to turn down. Turning the food is just the way it is with the high heat concentrated at the back. Of course that is research and not hands on experience.

At least the Uuni is with in consideration and portable--- not like the wood fired brick oven that I want.

8 minutes ago, Marty said:

Freddy I have huge respect for your knowledge and abilities. If you get one please post pictures and your thoughts after you have used it a while.

My reading on the Uuni and reviews from some users led me to to conclusion that it can put out good pizza and there is a learning curve. The heat is concentrated at the back and since there is no spinning platter it is easy to burn things at the back. Many pictures of food made on it showed burning from the massive heat at the back. Many people said that they loved them once they got that figured out and got the timing to turn down. Turning the food is just the way it is with the high heat concentrated at the back. Of course that is research and not hands on experience.

At least the Uuni is with in consideration and portable--- not like the wood fired brick oven that I want.

Well said.  Including the last sentence. 

31 minutes ago, jlindstrom said:

It's gotta be fantastic, it's Finnish design after all emoji6.pngemoji109.png

Haven't tried it but watched a whole bunch of the videos. What sort of bugs me, is that they always end up burning crust on the side facing fire.

They should design rotisserie to sping the pizza while it cooks for more even end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i agree that it looks like a great design and the gent who invented seems very proud of his accomplishment.

a dude in the uuni facebook group put his stone on an $8 lazy-susan bearing sand accomplished this easlily.

their new version in development uses either: pellets, wood, charcoal or gas and can accommodate a 16" pie.

considering joining their kickstarter for $500

13 minutes ago, Marty said:

Atleast the Uuni is with in consideration and portable--- not like the wood fired brick oven that I want.

Agree.  the larger ovens look bomb but i think that to get my use & return i'd need to spend less and not have it be so massive.  i'll update when i order, looks like it's leaning that way 

21 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

I am sure you could convince the Boston area gurus to show up for a pizza party.  I will bring the dough....

i will hold you to this.  we made some really good pies this weekend in oven and on the classic.

all the pies were tasty but the ones that were "flavored by fire" had a noticeably more complex flavor profile.  we loved them 

6 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

i agree that it looks like a great design and the gent who invented seems very proud of his accomplishment.

a dude in the uuni facebook group put his stone on an $8 lazy-susan bearing sand accomplished this easlily.

their new version in development uses either: pellets, wood, charcoal or gas and can accommodate a 16" pie.

considering joining their kickstarter for $500

Care to share the link?  I thought I saw someone add a rotisserie motor, but I couldn't find it.  

Maybe he I can convince my buddy @bostoncoffeeparty To buy this then use his... 

I've been interested in any and all of these pizza cookers and try to read up on any that I can.  If I had net just built a homemade WFO and also have a Blackstone, I would be all over that newer bigger Uuni oven.  From the price point of the first two versions of the Uuni, to this new one, the new one looks incredible.  It seems like they have been very attentive to thecomplaints and shortcomings of the earlier models, and have really knocked out a great unit with the bigger one.  They're marketing the new one as 4-way fuel options.. Charcoal, gas, wood, and wood pellets(I think).  At first I think the gas burner wasn't part of the Kickstarter price, but they would let you add-on...  Don't know that I would care much about the gas burner, but might be nice to have as a backup?  

I am nowhere near the experienced cook most of you guys and gals are, and total neophite with the pizza cooking, but I try to research as much as I can before getting into something.  From everything I've seen, this new Uuni would have been perfect for me.  I may still grab one.  Still need to post some stuff from my WFO build.

I like the concept but the beauty in my mind of a WFO is you light it on the deck of the oven and then that heat plus the radiated heat from the ceiling cooks the pie from the top and bottom. I wonder how well the Unni performs in this regard. Granted at the price, size and portability there is a trade off that I'm more than willing to let@mewantkj's wife absorb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've kicked around the idea of getting an Uuni or Blackstone... or some of the pre-fab wood fired ovens... or making my own wood-fired oven. Have never been able to come to a decision to pull the trigger on any of them.

Interested to see where this thread goes.

7 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Care to share the link?  I thought I saw someone add a rotisserie motor, but I couldn't find it.  

Maybe he I can convince my buddy @bostoncoffeeparty To buy this then use his... 

ben i just added you to the uuni fb group, once they approve we can chat about the video.  it's pretty cool