• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
macko2000

Brisket & Prime rib roast.

Haven't been on here in a while. Was hoping y'all could help me out. I have my father who has stage 4 cancer visiting in a couple weeks. I wanted to do it kind of him while he is here. Think of doing a prime rib roast and a sliced brisket (Not in the same day), both I have yet to do. I have a primo xl. Does anyone have any recipe recommendations? And would know how much to get for 3 adults and 3 kids? Thanks everyone, take care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My advice is to check out Frankln's videos on brisket cooking..his book is even better but of course would take time to order it in.

http://video.klru.tv/show/bbq-franklin/episodes/

As to size, you don't need a lot of meat for that crew, so the smallest brisket (select grade at least, better would be choice or prime grade) should do the trick.

Smaller also equals quicker cook time.

Franklin cooks everything at 275 and only uses kosher salt and large grain ground pepper.

Like literally sea/kosher salt and coarse ground pepper for both, put both on 12-24 hours before.  For prime rib I cook at about 275-300 until 120 internal temp then kick up heat for a nice high sear and internal temp of 130-135.  I've had great success doing that multiple times to rave reviews.  As to brisket, get the most prime cut you can find and take your time low and slow, 225-250.  I usually inject with beef stock to be sure it doesn't dry out.  But yeah, literally just salt and pepper.

Sorry to hear about your father.   Something to keep in mind.   I've had several friends going through chemo and they had trouble swallowing anything the least bit dry and brisket can be a tad on the dry side sometimes.   One had to have gravy on almost everything just so he could swallow.   I never experienced any of those symptoms myself fortunately, but it was worrisome at the beginning.   Good luck.