• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

I have been trying to meet or beat the usda 2300mg. salt number in my eating habits.

Seems like the only advice anyone/ internet gives is to eat more fruits and veges. To the vegan point.

Some talk about the Mediterranean methods.

Sea salt, Himalayan salt etc comes up. Still salt. Yes?

So has anyone got any techniques to reduce salt in the diet other than mentioned above?

Recent publications from the Framingham Research Study seem to indicate that people who eat less than 2300 mg of salt have higher mortality and higher blood pressure than those who eat something at or above 4000 mg.  Salt is salt.  All the rest is nothing but different minerals that are regionally dependent.

Salt, it turns out is NOT the enemy.  Same with eggs and cholesterol.  

Just live moderately and enjoy life.  In the end, we're all dead.

Most folks that ingest too much salt get it from store bought meals and canned food like soups and chili mac, most home cooked food has less.

Reason is, store bought food tastes like crap and they add salt to make it taste good enough to eat.

Most home cooked food has enough natural flavor so massive doses of extra salt are not required.

We add fancy French sea salt as a "finishing salt" all the time but also blend in normal salt with iodine during cooking, which is very important to have in your diet.

The problem in trying to avoid salt is that it's either used as a preservative or a flavour enhancer or both in most foods.  I've read 1500mg. is the recommended daily intake but who knows for sure.

Here where I live salted meat & fish were kept preserved long before refrigerators & freezers.  Salting foods is still done here a lot.  I'd sooner salt than sugar but like others have said all in moderation.  To me it's what in our genetics that seems to be the key.

I eat Himalayan and sea salt the table salt just like processed food is the enemy cause of how its processed 

Sugar is the enemy and processed food but salt in moderation is good for u

If you are talking health. Most of the guides that I have read say. Stay on the outside of the supermarket. Go through the produce, the meats, the dairy. They say stay away from the center isles with the pre made food-- the frozen pre made meals, the snack food isle, and the canned foods like Chef Boyardee canned ravioli, spaghetti o's, spam, and so on.

If you look at the labels sugar and salt are high on the ingredient list.

Good home made food needs minimal salt to taste good. As has been said those who cook at home typically use much less salt than pre made food and even in my experience some restaurants.

11 minutes ago, Marty said:

If you are talking health. Most of the guides that I have read say. Stay on the outside of the supermarket. Go through the produce, the meats, the dairy. They say stay away from the center isles with the pre made food-- the frozen pre made meals, the snack food isle, and the canned foods like Chef Boyardee canned ravioli, spaghetti o's, spam, and so on.

If you look at the labels sugar and salt are high on the ingredient list.

Good home made food needs minimal salt to taste good. As has been said those who cook at home typically use much less salt than pre made food and even in my experience some restaurants.

This ^.  If you are cooking with fresh ingredients, the amount of salt necessary in the prep, marinade, rub, salad dressing, board dressing is WAY less than that contained in prepared/processed foods.  Plus, you can add salt to taste as you go.

One of the (many) problems with prepared/processed foods, imo, is that you cannot control the level of salt.  If you work with fresh food and taste as you go, YOU are in control, not the manufacturer.

Great insights. I think my picture is now clear on the salt issue.

-was at the Doc last week and he pretty much said to watch out in the processed foods but cooking at home and moderation with the salt  in preparation. 

-always knew this but just wanted to reinforce my thoughts. Thanks all.

I was told to cut the salt to address my blood pressure.  It didn't change a darned thing and I dropped it to around 1000 mg per day.  He put me on medication and I raised my limit to around 2000 mg per day.  Things to watch for:

1.  As stated above, processed food is terrible.  Just look on the side of the package and you will very quickly figure out that potato chips have far less salt than many other products.  I was surprised when I learned this.

2.  Obviously fruit and veggies are very low in sodium

3.  Be very careful of hot sauce.  Many of the "red" kind, like Franks, are extremely high in sodium.  When you look at the serving size, you will find that you can get 2000 mg in a bowl of chili without blinking an eye.  Some of the habanero based sauces aren't too bad.

4.  Beware of premade pasta sauce.  It is incredibly high.  They make low/no sodium pasta sauce.  Mix the two together and you have a sauce that is edible and not near as high.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started.  Just look at labels.

My dad is on an incredibly low sodium diet and I have to say I don't like most foods without salt, but now know it is possible to cook (almost) without salt. That being said, I don't typically eat much processed food anyway so I don't worry about my intake. Hopefully I don't inherit his heart issue

Informative article via MyFitnessPal. "The Science Behind Salt" by Erin Palinski-Wade RD,CDE,LDN.

Talks about research in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Being a Slovak,  I am partial to anyone with her kind of (Palinski)  last name. But seriously....good article.