Beermachine

New fiberglass wire mesh gasket

I hope this isn't the case but it might be , I wanted to go this route when I have to replace mine down the road as mine is great shape now , but was also hoping to get one for  my old Vision grill that I gave to a friend as his is pretty beat now .

Guess just have to wait and see for a solid answer.

Now that I looked at that ad again closer it is not made by KJ but Lavalock and also fits the Acorn .

My thought was that one reason for the new latches was that the weight of the dome alone does not provide a sufficient seal on the new, more durable gasket, particularly in the front.

I've been holding out on replacing my gasket to see if this was incorrect and the new gasket would work with just the weight of the dome, but we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Logan said:

My thought was that one reason for the new latches was that the weight of the dome alone does not provide a sufficient seal on the new, more durable gasket, particularly in the front.

I've been holding out on replacing my gasket to see if this was incorrect and the new gasket would work with just the weight of the dome, but we'll see.

I have been following along the KJFB group. Here are my observations, this is not official KJ info. 

The latch is there because with the new hinge here is not enough weight to create a seal.  The old domes/hinges weigh enough.  I think I saw that you need 8 lbs... 

i think it is a different model of gaskets that would retrofit older Joe's.  Trust me, I too am hoping to get my hands on them.  

Ben

10 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Ok, I reached out to Bobby @ KJ.  This DOES NOT appear to the the new KJ gasket.  Buyer beware.  

Thanks for this. Any idea how we get our hands on the new KJ OEM gasket? I cannot find it anywhere online as yet.

49 minutes ago, Beermachine said:

Thanks for this. Any idea how we get our hands on the new KJ OEM gasket? I cannot find it anywhere online as yet.

The short answer is that the retrofitable gasket is not avalible yet. I tried to get one myself.  KJ is in the process of developing new adhesive/process because the end user can't to the same process the factory uses. I have no clue about an ETA. 

4 hours ago, Beermachine said:

If this new gasket is not on the market in the next 2 weeks I will probably have to go with a nome or rutland gasket. Can't wait much longer.

Have you tried cooking without a gasket?  I did it for six months, my only observation was the shutdown took a little longer and therefore I went through a LITTLE more lump. 

14 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Have you tried cooking without a gasket?  I did it for six months, my only observation was the shutdown took a little longer and therefore I went through a LITTLE more lump. 

That's basically what I am doing now. I'm just getting a bit impatient, that's all. I can still maintain my temps for low and slows.

On June 3, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Mewantkj said:

Yeah... On my Jr, the gasket is nearly all gone now.  Scorched it twice.  But it still does the job.  No smoke leakage that I have seen.  Will replace it someday.

But I only grill on the Jr, the low and slows occur on the big guy.

12 hours ago, Beermachine said:

That's basically what I am doing now. I'm just getting a bit impatient, that's all. I can still maintain my temps for low and slows.

I can understand the impatience. Give it time.  Let them produce a quality product. They have to do the aftermarket gasket with a different adhesive. Specially developed for this product 

You also have to keep in mind the new fibreglass gasket has to permit enough room for the Big Joetisserie to fit correctly. 

Don't do a Rutland gasket.  It's too thick and it will cause you issues when trying to use a Jotisserie on the Classic or Big Joe.

Your grill is not going to explode if the gasket is worn out.  Don't worry, you have time.:)

I cooked for about a year with almost no gasket. i did not have temp control or shut down problems on my Big joe.

I was just about to give up on a gasket when a big wind came up blowing directly into the bottom vent and in about 15 minutes it went from 325 to over 400. After that i did install a new gasket. How much was into bottom and out the top and how much leaked at the gasket is certainly not a known factor but--