Jump to content

John Setzler

Thinking about buying a Subaru

Recommended Posts

I've never owned a Subaru but they are quite common around here. The one thing that annoys me about them is all the little boy racers that put up ridiculous sales ads out for their 10 year old Subie that's "never been raced or abused" yet the pictures scream "I've been rode hard and put up wet". All that said, I seriously considered buying a WRX/STi before I bought the Camaro. They make a good car.

 

I see you didn't include any of the VW SUVs on your list? Not a fan or haven't considered? The Tiguan is a direct competitor to all these you've mentioned, I do believe, and VW is set to release a new Crossover model next year that is being made in Chattanooga, Tn. I spent some time working at the plant and even after leaving, I still was happy to purchase a 2015 Chattanooga made Passat for my wife. While at the plant, I never drove that model but had many other new VWs thanks to the sweet employee lease program. The quality of the cars was on par with much higher costing vehicle and the Passat we bought was no exception. I had nothing more than a positive buying experience with Harper VW in Knoxville, Tn and would willingly recommend the brand to anyone looking for a new car or SUV. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

crosstrek.jpg

 

I ended up going with the Premium trim rather than the Limited.  I got a much better deal and I can do without the sun roof and the leather interior.  The primary function I wanted here was the eyesight technology.  I also added the cross bars for the roof rails and two Thule roof mounted bike carriers.  I'll be picking it up in the morning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crosstrek.thumb.jpg.ed41a91e22daef587dae8f102e4d4ecf.jpg
 
I ended up going with the Premium trim rather than the Limited.  I got a much better deal and I can do without the sun roof and the leather interior.  The primary function I wanted here was the eyesight technology.  I also added the cross bars for the roof rails and two Thule roof mounted bike carriers.  I'll be picking it up in the morning...


Congrats John!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard that Subaru's are good cars. We have one of the others you said you considered, a 2016 Honda CRV Touring with all the bells and whistles. This is our second CRV and we both love it. Zero issues, and it can handle the weather and country where we live in the Arizona mountains. My wife uses it primarily and loves it. I like that it can safely handle ice, snow, and mud from the Spring runoff. We will most like buy another one when this one hits 100,000 miles or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I have heard that Subaru's are good cars. We have one of the others you said you considered, a 2016 Honda CRV Touring with all the bells and whistles. This is our second CRV and we both love it. Zero issues, and it can handle the weather and country where we live in the Arizona mountains. My wife uses it primarily and loves it. I like that it can safely handle ice, snow, and mud from the Spring runoff. We will most like buy another one when this one hits 100,000 miles or so. 

 No sarcasm here at all. God bless you. With out people who buy good solid new cars and sell them with low miles against their real life expectancy I would be in deep trouble. I do want a CRV. They are nice cars. 80,000 to 120,000 and 5 to six years or more for depreciation in excellent condition is what I buy. Hard to find but worth the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marty said:

 No sarcasm here at all. God bless you. With out people who buy good solid new cars and sell them with low miles against their real life expectancy I would be in deep trouble. I do want a CRV. They are nice cars. 80,000 to 120,000 and 5 to six years or more for depreciation in excellent condition is what I buy. Hard to find but worth the effort.

Actually glad to be of assistance.  We like those new cars with all the innovations. The lane assistance and new cruise control options are pretty cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Actually glad to be of assistance.  We like those new cars with all the innovations. The lane assistance and new cruise control options are pretty cool. 

 

Keeper I have never even heard of the eyesight technology that John got. I do find it difficult to get the side mirrors set perfectly.

For the drivers side I get it the right lane and let the cars keep passing until I get it dialed in. I have not figured out the passenger side. Technology to deal with the blind spots would be great. With the RAV4 even looking by turning my head is obstructed by the pillar. Our Suzuki is even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been driving a CROSSTREK since 11/15.  Love this car... fun to drive and excellent as my ride to the mountain bike trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, as one who has the same color, I would recommend the door trim.  Mine has been beaten up and it shows up pretty clearly on that blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice choice, John. Lot of Subaru OutBacks up here in the mountains. Almost all of them have bike and kayak racks along with roof baskets or those torpedo roof trunks. Very useful vehicle from what I see. I see them out on rough forest service roads all the time. They seem to do very well and hold up to rough terrain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Subaru are good vehicles.  My only concern with Subaru would be if they'll be able to survive in North America with .8% market share.

 

The Mazda CX-5 is the best SUV in the group.  It's not as good off road as the Outback.  It has a better engine.  The only think I hate about Mazda is their dealerships.  Mazda Dealers like to nickel and dime you for features and accessories that are Standard on the Outback, Santa Fe, and CRV.

 

The newer RAV4 just plain sucks.  The engine is gutless and struggles in the highway and in the Mountains.  I think Toyota screwed up the RAV4 when they changed over to the 4 cylinder engine.  

 

You also have the Alabama made Santa Fe.  As long as you get the 2.0 Sport model , it's a solid SUV.  A modified Santa Fe was the SUV chosen for a trip across Antarctica.  It's a surprising tuff SUV.  You probably get the most features per a dollar on the Santa Fe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

subaru-crosstrek.jpg

 

Picked it up this morning :)

 

I got a chance to put some miles on it today since I had to make a run to a town about an hour from here to meet someone for lunch.  I took the interstate route on my way down to get a good feel for the adaptive cruise control and took the back road two-lane route coming home.  I'm gonna get along just fine with this car :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That adaptive cruise control is really something, isn't it. My wife's CRV has it. Set your speed and if someone cuts into your lane in front of you and your cruise control backs down your speed and then automatically increases it back to your target when the car is out of your lane. Do you have the lane assist that nudges you toward the center of the lane. You can actually take your hands off the wheel and the car will correct and maintain it's line. Also the blind spot goodies that sound an alarm if someone is on your side to the rear. I just love this stuff. Drive with it for a while and then without and you sure miss it. Glad you like you new car John. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

That adaptive cruise control is really something, isn't it. My wife's CRV has it. Set your speed and if someone cuts into your lane in front of you and your cruise control backs down your speed and then automatically increases it back to your target when the car is out of your lane. Do you have the lane assist that nudges you toward the center of the lane. You can actually take your hands off the wheel and the car will correct and maintain it's line. Also the blind spot goodies that sound an alarm if someone is on your side to the rear. I just love this stuff. Drive with it for a while and then without and you sure miss it. Glad you like you new car John. 

Oh my! I can't get used to a car shifting for me, never mind steering or adjusting my speed. Even power windows and doors... I'm at a loss.. When I tested a wrangler recently and found they now have power doors and windows I my mind was blown.  If the car were to nudge me or change speed I think I might freak out.  Guess I'm too old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

That adaptive cruise control is really something, isn't it. My wife's CRV has it. Set your speed and if someone cuts into your lane in front of you and your cruise control backs down your speed and then automatically increases it back to your target when the car is out of your lane. Do you have the lane assist that nudges you toward the center of the lane. You can actually take your hands off the wheel and the car will correct and maintain it's line. Also the blind spot goodies that sound an alarm if someone is on your side to the rear. I just love this stuff. Drive with it for a while and then without and you sure miss it. Glad you like you new car John. 

 

I don't think the Crosstrek has the lane assist but it does let me know when I'm edging out of the lane unless i have my turn signal on.  I do have blind spot alerts on the side view mirrors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...