Do You / Would You Eat From A Food Truck???

Mr Cue

Here in the Bay Area, food trucks are pretty popular and common. They are no longer the 'roach coaches' I used to think of. Because of the diversity and tree hugging, most seem to be ethnic, vegan or organic. Not my taste. I have and would continue to eat from a burger/nacho/chili dog truck. Mr Cue would get my business 10x that of a falafel, curry or asian fusion truck.

2 minutes ago, prowe said:

And yes, those are 2 xl BGEs he cooks on.

I just missed a liquidation sale of BGEs from a local dealer. He sold all his stock at 50% off! The only thing that was left was a mini max he was gonna let me have for $250 and I probably could have got it for $200-225 if I had cash in my pocket. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

Awesome responses! We do have a bit of an identity crisis. My business partner wants to do the unique and flashy fair stuff and I'm more into mainstays that you'd find at your regular stop. We typically sell as many nachos as burgers, usually 50 of each on a Friday. Hand dipped corn dogs just for added and we are improving our process there. We've also got funnel cake equipment that we are getting familiar with. I'm going to take some of these ideas back to my partner and let him chew on them. 

Let the market dictate what you sell. You may love to do burgers and dogs, but if the customer wants fair food, then sell fair food, and vice versa. Have you done any market research in your area?

Nothing wrong with food trucks at all. They popup during a lot of events and there are locations with dedicated spots. Unfortunately for you, the trucks with "regular" food do not do as well as "unique" food based on lines I've seen.

Here in DFW where food trucks are fairly popular, people expect a niche product and to have something they normally don't have. A lot of them also have a signature dish that they are known for or sets them apart.

With that said, your food looks damn tasty and your prices are well below average.

2 hours ago, Kahuna144 said:

Let the market dictate what you sell. You may love to do burgers and dogs, but if the customer wants fair food, then sell fair food, and vice versa. Have you done any market research in your area?

Not really other than tracking what we sell and how each item performs; that's how we came to the conclusion that we needed to ditch the dogs and sausages or at least not over buy on those items.

Ours is a small-ish community of 56k people living in the county. Food trucks have just started to pop up here and we are one of maybe 5. I try to check out all the local trucks and introduce myself to the owners and if their food is good I will buy it and help promote them on social media. Facebook and word of mouth is our main form of advertising, we're in the process of having banners made up to capture the attention of passers by. It's surprising that some people completely miss us and others beside the road. Our trailer stands out to say the least! We also got a "hot dog" cart we are about to get out as well, we just had it wrapped and are going with a grab and go type menu. I think we were going to name it "Grill n Grab".

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I eat at food trucks all the time, but I live in Austin and there is an awesome eclectic food truck industry here. I try a lot of of them and return to the ones that really stand out and offer something unique--not your regular run of the mill offerings. We here in Austin can be picky in our food truck selection.

Your burger looks good but the plain jane potato bun keeps it from top notch. Try a brioche or something exotic or unique that sets it off.

Nacho presentation is nice, but the canned nacho cheese sauce would keep me away. Master a queso recipe and stay away from the neon cheese sauce that screams county fair or high school football game fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mp_tx said:

I eat at food trucks all the time, but I live in Austin and there is an awesome eclectic food truck industry here. I try a lot of of them and return to the ones that really stand out and offer something unique--not your regular run of the mill offerings. We here in Austin can be picky in our food truck selection.

Your burger looks good but the plain jane potato bun keeps it from top notch. Try a brioche or something exotic or unique that sets it off.

Nacho presentation is nice, but the canned nacho cheese sauce would keep me away. Master a queso recipe and stay away from the neon cheese sauce that screams county fair or high school football game fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointers, those are good points. 

27 minutes ago, Paul Beer said:

I eat from food trucks quite often - last weekend I went to restaurant that evolved from one for a birthday meal.

I will say the name of your truck confuses me, as none of your menu appears to be southern fried.

Yeah, hence the identity crisis. The original concept was "on a stick" but that doesn't really work outside the fair/festival scene. That was done before I came into the venture and may change. 

Most of the food I've eaten from food trucks were tacos. Taco trucks are very common here in California. Some of the best tacos I've ever eaten came from taco trucks in fact I should have a bumper sticker that says "I brake for taco trucks"  but If I ever see your truck I'll stop to get a chili dog fo sho.