Do You / Would You Eat From A Food Truck???

Mr Cue

Ok. So i didn't want to say it, but the southern fried name confused me as well. You do burgies, doggies, you have pulled pork on hand as it's in the nachos. You are thinking bout adding fish and shaved steak and pork. So, you got lots of meat onhand. One thing I know fo sho is meat is awesome between 2 slices of bread. Another thing I know fo sho is everyone likes cheese. Even those poor lactose intolerant folks.  Maybe use the stuff you already have to make gourmet grilled cheese sammies with those awesome meats you already cook.  I know this is not a revolutionary idea.  grilled cheesie  burgie. Grilled cheesie chilli doggie. Grilled cheesiesteak . Grillled  Cheesiepig. Grilled cheesiefishnchips. Etc...

Also get a few good sides and serve in generous portions. When sides are served in dixy cup portions peeps whine on yelp. Charge an appropriate fee. But make it a decent amount.

also, I always drink water with lunch. I am no health food nut. I am short and round, but I like water. I don't usually like soda. Sometimes. But not always. However, I think most folks getting a burgie or doggie are going for a soda. Or whatever you call it where you are. Get a big ... cooler and sell soda. Cold soda. At a stupid markup. 

Btw, I have never had the guts to say this out loud, but I always thought the coolest jobs in the world are fighter jet pilot, astronaut and food truck owner. No lie. I have much respect for your venture.

I do eat at food trucks on occasion, wish it was more often but don't have any close. Nothing wrong with burgers, yours looks awesome, but I do agree what others have said, you need a couple of unique items. You may even want to try a few unique burgers. One of the best burgers I have had was a cream cheese jalapeno burger. Sounds weird but the fresh sliced jalapenos had a kick but the cream cheese was soothing. I have made them at home awesome, if you want to tone down the fresh jalapenos cook them on the flattop for a few minutes, Smash burger the spicy cowboy burger with grilled fresh jalapenos, fried onion strings and bbq sauce, my favorite Smash burger. I like a plain burger but given a choice of something unique, I jump on unique. Not sure how they would sell but deep fried oreos are awesome, I was driving back to Houston a few years ago during the State fair in Dallas and they were talking about the deep fried oreos on the radio, called my wife and asked if we had any oreos at home, we did and that is what I made that evening. You basically dip them in a thin pancake batter and drop them in the oil for a minute, flip over for another minute, dust with powdered sugar. Have done them at scout functions and they are a big hit. My son told me about a food truck Bernie's Burger Bus, they serve a burger and use 2 waffle fries as the bun, he loved it. Good luck with your business. Keep us updated on the menu.  

What I want from food trucks is good food at a reasonable price and something that is no too difficult/messy to eat.

I don't care how good it is, if I am likely to end up wearing it I will likely avoid buying it.

Grilled cheesie fattie, grilled cheesie meatloaf, grilled cheesie ham, grilled cheesie shrimp, grilled cheesie steak tips, grilled cheesie chicks, grilled cheesiecrabbiecakes, grilled cheesielobster., grilled cheesieBLT. Omg, I think I am to grilled cheese what Bubba was to shrimp. Gonna open a food truck tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

I eat at food trucks whenever I get a chance (unfortunately not very often). I only order unique food I can't normally get somewhere else. I would never order a burger or nachos. I think it's important for food trucks to have their standard menu (exp - burgers and nachos) but I also think they should have a special of the day that is something unique that other trucks next to them don't have, something to pull me into that truck. Cost is never really a factor in my mind. 

^^^^^ Yep - what ckreef said. If I'm going to eat at a food truck it has to be unique. Indian, Mexican will get me, or some other unique signature dish that you cannot get anywhere else. I'd never order burgers, dogs or nachos, etc., unless they were extremely unique and not mainstream at all. Good luck getting started. I'd like to go into the food truck business one day as well.

Hi mr. Cue... Glad you getting there. I love a good burger. But when you mention corn dog, I was drooling.. Lol.. Love those things. Since your name includes things on a stick.. I am all for veggies and meat on a stick.. With a spicy dip... Ok I am making myself hungry... But I also will look on a menu to see whats different... Theres a food truck like yours in a town I truck thru.. Its saids bbq.. Would love to stop if parking was good for a big truck. Looking forward to enjoying your fan fare this summer vacation... Are you working with the food truck Memorial weekend?  

This is good feedback and the point of much contention between my business partner and I; he wants what he calls "turn and burn" items (meaning quick prep and sale) whereas I see merit in higher quality and more unique items like the grilled cheese bun burger and that. I will share this convo with him. 

@skreef

I'll post a pic of the corn dogs we did, for some reason I can't upload directly from my iPhone to the site anymore, it always fails to upload. They were really good and if you'd like, I'll point you to the recipe for the batter so you can try them at home! 

12 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

This is good feedback and the point of much contention between my business partner and I; he wants what he calls "turn and burn" items (meaning quick prep and sale) whereas I see merit in higher quality and more unique items like the grilled cheese bun burger and that. I will share this convo with him. 

@skreef

I'll post a pic of the corn dogs we did, for some reason I can't upload directly from my iPhone to the site anymore, it always fails to upload. They were really good and if you'd like, I'll point you to the recipe for the batter so you can try them at home! 

That would be awesome. I buy frozen some times.. Just something to eat.. Not really that good but I thought yours probably would be. I would love to get a Recepie... Coarse I could make two or three for me at a time.. Ckreef won't eat hotdogs...but I'm all for it. 

3 hours ago, skreef said:

That would be awesome. I buy frozen some times.. Just something to eat.. Not really that good but I thought yours probably would be. I would love to get a Recepie... Coarse I could make two or three for me at a time.. Ckreef won't eat hotdogs...but I'm all for it. 

image.jpeg

My opinion, if your going to keep the name you need to cook fried food. I don't know a southerner who doesn't like fried chicken. Just about everyone gets fried whatever when going to lunch. Go to a Chinese restaurant with a southerner and they will get whatever is FRIED on the menu. :)

What places are always packed at lunch time.....Zaxbys....Chick fil a....ect. Fried Chicken...Fried Fish....Hushpuppies....wings etc.

Put your own spin on fried food and I bet you will do well. 

My 2 cents. 

7 hours ago, landscaper said:

My opinion, if your going to keep the name you need to cook fried food. I don't know a southerner who doesn't like fried chicken. Just about everyone gets fried whatever when going to lunch. Go to a Chinese restaurant with a southerner and they will get whatever is FRIED on the menu. :)

What places are always packed at lunch time.....Zaxbys....Chick fil a....ect. Fried Chicken...Fried Fish....Hushpuppies....wings etc.

Put your own spin on fried food and I bet you will do well. 

My 2 cents. 

I agree here! My business partner is very concerned about chicken, he almost died from a very serious case of salmonella poisoning years ago and wants absolutely nothing to do with raw chicken. We had a complain the last time we served wings; there was a dark spot from the bone and the customer said his wings were undercooked so he threw them all away. I never saw it and I certainly checked them with an instant read, they were over 180°F. My partner said this is why he doesn't want to do chicken and against my suggestion we took them off menu. 

As a lot of you know, I'm now in the mobile food business, it's a part time deal that my business partner and I would like to grow into our full time source of income. Most of our patronage is from family, co-workers, and friends; we've yet to really capture a decent portion of the general public's attention. So I ask the question above: Do you or would you eat from a food truck? What are some things that attract and drive you away from the experience? What is important to you in your on the go dining experience and what would you like to see on a menu?

We are currently doing a simple menu; diner style burgers, chili-dogs, Italian sausages, and loaded nachos/fries. The sausages and dogs are out as they are notorious under performers, it's hard for them to compete against our burgers and BBQ. Some other ideas I've been playing with are a fish/chicken strip basket with slaw and fries, a fried pork chop with country gravy & mashed potatoes, and cheesesteak sandwiches to name a few. We have two 40lb gas deep fryers and a 24" gas flattop as well as a large fridge and freezer to work with. What would appeal to you and make you pass up a Burger King or similar chain? 

This is the nacho and the burger, the burger is $8 and comes with fries and a water. The nacho is $7 and comes with a water. Our burger is 1/2 lb and the total weight of the loaded nacho is 10 oz, lots of value IMO. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dd0cb1cc9639cdb725d927198cbc5170.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b5ce4decdcc7432a74d5744d65d12a0.jpeg

Food trucks are very region based, just like bbq spots ( why you don't see any real big national chains). Now I bet that there are places that serve the items above. The most successful trucks in my area ban together often park next to each other. But they aren't stepping on toes because besides sodas. They don't have any of the same items. The trucks in the sf bay area specialize in one thing. Which make working with other trucks a benefit. Also specializing in one thing will keep your food cost. But picking what item you choose should be based on your region

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

I agree here! My business partner is very concerned about chicken, he almost died from a very serious case of salmonella poisoning years ago and wants absolutely nothing to do with raw chicken. We had a complain the last time we served wings; there was a dark spot from the bone and the customer said his wings were undercooked so he threw them all away. I never saw it and I certainly checked them with an instant read, they were over 180°F. My partner said this is why he doesn't want to do chicken and against my suggestion we took them off menu. 

Your going to have those kinds of complaints anyway no matter what you serve. I know a place that boils their chicken parts till done and then lets them cool and then coats them for frying. After coated you could fridge or freeze. Fridge for on demand frying to order. 

Fried food sells in the south.