• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
bosco

Traeger Timberline 1300

10 hours ago, bosco said:

I have to say that I had no desire with a pellet smoker until a few years ago when big green Craig picked up a rectec.  He cooked a brisket and said in a post something to the effect of, understanding what it means to have the right tool for the right job.  

It got me thinking that if a kamado enthusiast like Craig could see the potential of a different cooker then maybe it is worth looking into. 

For 2 years I kicked the tires on the pellet grill shopping.  I just couldn't see what value it could add.  Then I came into a pro 34 that a friend said give it a go and see.  

I loved it it almost immediately.  The pellet smoker will never replace my KKs as I love cooking with fire and charcoal, but it fills that hectic schedule and times where you just don't want to fuss.  

I sold my gasser a few years ago and this is the closest to the convenience of gas as you can get.  

I started looking for a permanent pellet smoker and was settled on the yoder, then traeger came out with this model and I was blown away with the design and technology.  

I can say now going hands on with it, that this grill was built to compete with the pro line pellet smokers in the industry!   

If you need any help with direction @aljoseph let me know

yeah you sure were running in circles about a pellet smoker. What did we do? go back and forth about them. I had you ready to pull the trigger on the Yoder, but I am so happy that you decided to go with the Timberline. I know you will give honest feedback as does all of us here at the Kamadoguru.com site. I just couldnt trust what others were saying especially when several have "Traeger" tattooed on themselves. Hurry up and start breaking this thing in, I am very curious, besides I do need something on our upper deck for Wifey to use :-D

I got home and loaded a full bag into the oversized hopper.  Pretty cool!!

i primed it all and set the temp for initial burn off.  

Results 

Starts with an internal pre heat 

2 min began smoking 

6 min 100 degrees 

10 min pre heat complete 165 degrees

20 min 325 degrees 

30 min 430 degrees 

39 min 500 degrees 

IMG_8215.PNG

here is a screen shot from the wifi app.  This is a pretty cool feature having the built in wifi.  

It has been been holding steady at 500 with a +/- 3 degree flux in temp.  Most stable I have seen since playing with pellet smokers.  

Ill post a video video of the exhaust as it is pretty cool seeing how it smokes.  

So for all those wondering... 500 you can hit.  I will run another cycle to see if these times change.  Not sure if the first burn is different as the on screen display walked me through setup upon powering on.   

150 degrees smoke.  Once we got to 200 it was pure thin blue smoke.  This is their new stack, it's a forced down draft technology 

Bosco, you might be in big trouble. If you convince me to purchase a pellet smoker my wife will be causing a big uproar north of the boarder.

4 minutes ago, prowe said:

Bosco, you might be in big trouble. If you convince me to purchase a pellet smoker my wife will be causing a big uproar north of the boarder.

It is a really cool cooker man... I am very impressed with this grill

Not sure what's better looking, the Timberline or your backyard! What an oasis :)

Boy, those KK's are probably not to happy sitting there under cover while your Timberline gets all the lovin'...lol!!

5 minutes ago, rwalters said:

Not sure what's better looking, the Timberline or your backyard! What an oasis :)

Boy, those KK's are probably not to happy sitting there under cover while your Timberline gets all the lovin'...lol!!

They still get priority placement and cooking. Love them!!

this little spot is perfect for my traeger and I can roll it in and out whenever I need it.  Just finished some bacon to get it greased up and now a spatchcock chicken is on the grill 

this little spot is perfect for my traeger and I can roll it in and out whenever I need it.  Just finished some bacon to get it greased up and now a spatchcock chicken is on the grill 

What about the biscuit test?!?!?! [emoji1306]

Breaking this in can be exhausting lol.  I pinched something in my neck last night and paying for it today.  

Got the biscuits done earlier and they turned out great.  I had a bit of a hot spot on the right side and when I inspected, I learned that my deflector was slid all the way over to the left. Adjusted that and nice even bake on all three levels.  

IMG_8229.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

followed it up with some bacon bacon and found even consistent heating on all three shelves.  The grills is greasy and well seasoned now lol ... and bacon taste awesome!

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8247.JPG

I just seasoned up the bird and cranked the grill up to 375 for 45 min then I'll finish it at 450 to get it a bit crispy.  

Well since I was cooking bacon and I am on the low carb train ... I figured a Caesar Salad was in order.  

Let the bacon get cold and crumbled it, added some parm cheese flakes and the chicken. 

This chicken ken was very good.  The skin was crazy crispy and the meat has a beautiful smoke to it as you can tell by the pink colour.  

Im digging this new grill!

IMG_8245.JPG

IMG_8255.JPG

IMG_8256.JPG

On 5/8/2017 at 2:43 PM, bosco said:

lol you could of fooled me looks like your new one has priory and over the kks ...cooks look real good ,,,,now what are you going to do if you have a power outage you have a generator ha ha 

Now that kids hockey is finally complete, I will have a ton of time to enjoy the yard.  

no grills will be neglected!  I just split in on a skid of lump with some friends!!

On May 8, 2017 at 1:36 PM, rwalters said:

Thats what hat I was thinking! If I were in law enforcement, I'd be moving to Canada... Most cops I know barely can afford a doublewide trailer let alone a beautiful home like that.