Traeger Timberline 1300

bosco

1 hour ago, aljoseph said:

Bosco, great thread and I've learned a lot about pellet grills, the new Timberline series in particular. One thing I'm kind of perplexed about though is the maximum heat one can get from using pellets. I understand the Timberline can heat up to 500 degrees F and that is greater than some others pellet smokers. However, the Uuni pizza cookers, using pellets can get to some 800 plus degrees F. Why is this so and why is there a limitation on other pellet grills?

AJ it's  funny you mention that with the uuni.  I saw a promo video for them and wondered how that thing could get so hot with pellets.  I am really not all that sure why they seem to max out.  Perhaps @rwalters can offer some input.  

If if I were to guess, traeger was initially designed to smoke and didn't find a need for the higher heat temps.  Also I read somewhere that the new timberline they opted out of high heat searing because they are holding to the design platform of a more convection style cooker.  

Very good question, I'll do some searching 

4 hours ago, aljoseph said:

Bosco, great thread and I've learned a lot about pellet grills, the new Timberline series in particular. One thing I'm kind of perplexed about though is the maximum heat one can get from using pellets. I understand the Timberline can heat up to 500 degrees F and that is greater than some others pellet smokers. However, the Uuni pizza cookers, using pellets can get to some 800 plus degrees F. Why is this so and why is there a limitation on other pellet grills?

3 hours ago, bosco said:

AJ it's  funny you mention that with the uuni.  I saw a promo video for them and wondered how that thing could get so hot with pellets.  I am really not all that sure why they seem to max out.  Perhaps @rwalters can offer some input.  

If if I were to guess, traeger was initially designed to smoke and didn't find a need for the higher heat temps.  Also I read somewhere that the new timberline they opted out of high heat searing because they are holding to the design platform of a more convection style cooker.  

Very good question, I'll do some searching 

Yep, good question!  I spoke with MAK grills about this very topic a few months ago.  Was given a few reasons as to why pellet grill manufacturers govern the high temps of their grills.

1) Many pellet grills can not handle the higher temps without real threat of damage to exterior/interior and/or electronics.

2) Unless your pellet grill allows for TRUE open flame cooking, allowing a pellet grill to exceed 500 tends to cause to many issues with flare-ups and/or grease fires.

Obviously, there are pellet grills on the market that give the cook the ability to blow past the 500 degree mark.  Example would be the Memphis grills.  I have spoken with numerous owners.  Although they can cook at 600-700, they typically don't go to those higher temps unless they are cooking super lean meats or using the direct flame function.  When going that high AND cooking meats with to much fat, flare ups become a real problem with the crazy hot heat diffuser sitting right under the meat.

I can tell you this.  The nicer pellet grills have no problem hitting the 475-500+ mark.  That is the ambient temp.  When you have meat sitting on the cooking grate, 2 inches from the heat diffuser... 475-500 is not the cooking temp.  The radiant heat hitting the food is considerably higher.  Cooking on my MAK, I am 100% satisfied with everything minus steak.  For steak, I still prefer the reverse sear.  Smoke for an hour or so on the MAK, and then transfer to a screaming hot griddle.

5 hours ago, rwalters said:

Yep, good question!  I spoke with MAK grills about this very topic a few months ago.  Was given a few reasons as to why pellet grill manufacturers govern the high temps of their grills.

1) Many pellet grills can not handle the higher temps without real threat of damage to exterior/interior and/or electronics.

2) Unless your pellet grill allows for TRUE open flame cooking, allowing a pellet grill to exceed 500 tends to cause to many issues with flare-ups and/or grease fires.

after reading al's question, this is kinda what i was thinking.  screaming high temps could mess up the metal for sure where a lower temp will make sure that it lasts much longer.  I'm also in the camp that grilling doesn't need to exceed 500-550 .

i actually have the Uuni Pro on order for the screaming high-heat pizza cooks, its stainless but i'm sure that over time the high heat will destroy it.  Better to destroy a $500.00 pizza oven than my $1,000.00 kamado i guess

after reading al's question, this is kinda what i was thinking.  screaming high temps could mess up the metal for sure where a lower temp will make sure that it lasts much longer.  I'm also in the camp that grilling doesn't need to exceed 500-550 .

i actually have the Uuni Pro on order for the screaming high-heat pizza cooks, its stainless but i'm sure that over time the high heat will destroy it.  Better to destroy a $500.00 pizza oven than my $1,000.00 kamado i guess

If it's a thick gauge SS like my MAK, there is no reason it shouldn't easily last for many many years, if not a lifetime.

1 hour ago, rwalters said:

If it's a thick gauge SS like my MAK, there is no reason it shouldn't easily last for many many years, if not a lifetime.

we'll see, my only concern is that it will go 900 f every cook

1 hour ago, Freddyj said:

we'll see, my only concern is that it will go 900 f every cook

While I think you make a good point freddy, I suspect it will last a while, a long while.  

I assume what Freddy's referring to is the fact that high heat changes stainless steel.  The chromium in SS steel is what makes it stainless. However at super high heat the chromium reacts with the carbon (not sure if it is carbon in the steel or from the heat source). This chromium carbide changes the nature of the chromium and the steel is no longer stainless. 

For example, the grates on my Joe will rust after a high heat pizza cook.  That is only surface rust, I am several years into ownership and my grates are still solid. 

6 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

While I think you make a good point freddy, I suspect it will last a while, a long while.  

I assume what Freddy's referring to is the fact that high heat changes stainless steel.  The chromium in SS steel is what makes it stainless. However at super high heat the chromium reacts with the carbon (not sure if it is carbon in the steel or from the heat source). This chromium carbide changes the nature of the chromium and the steel is no longer stainless. 

For example, the grates on my Joe will rust after a high heat pizza cook.  That is only surface rust, I am several years into ownership and my grates are still solid. 

Yes you are correct. SS isn't exactly stainless. There are a few situations that cause SS to rust and high heat is one of them. It's only surface rust but rust just the same. 

3 hours ago, Freddyj said:

Not sure you'll "destroy" it but I totally agree with this logic. Continuous super high heat cooks is definitely not a great idea for kamados. 

13 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Ben thanks for the explanation. I have wondered why the grates rust lightly on the surface. This explains it.

That timberline feature set along with some constant rubbing in my face by Bosco! has me contemplating getting a timberline. I love innovation. Our YS640 does the job fine with no problems, but the greed inside screams for timberline to be added. Thanks a ton RYAN!!!!!!

I turned the traeger on today and it did an auto update through the wifi!!! Not sure what it did but I did notice a bit more thin blue smoke coming out.  

Today was filled with kids sports.  I had a 3 hour lull in the action so a swim and quick cook was in order.  

Whats better then hotdogs on a hot day???

slotdogs!!!

IMG_8614.JPG

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8616.JPG

I turned the traeger on today and it did an auto update through the wifi!!! Not sure what it did but I did notice a bit more thin blue smoke coming out.  

Today was filled with kids sports.  I had a 3 hour lull in the action so a swim and quick cook was in order.  

Whats better then hotdogs on a hot day???

slotdogs!!!

IMG_8614.thumb.JPG.0448f78e1488e38835262497622c8020.JPG

IMG_8615.thumb.JPG.555527197e2fc131b2c42f2c51097ca2.JPG

IMG_8616.thumb.JPG.6e0474f67f374642c0afbd85c6ceeb02.JPG

Slotdogs are cool [emoji41], my grand daughter wants them every time she comes over. Updating via wifi is nice. If the Yoder ever needs an update I hear Yoder has to send you a cable and then you have to open the unit. Make ditch this beast of a machine over here [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk