• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
Benm3

Cracked Bottom Bowl AGAIN

15 posts in this topic

So my first PitBoss 24 was acquired last year.  In February of this year, the bottom outside bowl cracked.  Dansons required me to lug the grill back to Costco to do an actual exchange instead of shipping me a new unit.  The reasoning was that the new year model base does not fit the top.  So I took the entire grill back and did an exchange at Costco with no problem since as we all know Costco is great in situations like this.

Well last week on a cook, the bottom cracked AGAIN.  After contacting Dansons, they tell me that I again have to bring the entire grill back to Costco.  This was extremely frustrating and disappointing as it is extremely burdensome to do so.  I asked the customer service rep what happen when Costco stop selling the grill and we know that Costco does stop carrying item how warranty would be handled and they didn't really have an answer.  This response has gotten be really concerned and may not consider just returning the grill and purchasing another brand.  

It does seem like they have manufacturing issues with their ceramics since this is the second bottom bowl to crack on me.  I also just look a close look at their warranty.  It specifically states replacement, F.O.B. Shipment.  This means that the customer is responsible for all freight charges that would be required to get the replacement item to your home.  I am really concerned at this point.  Do other manufacturers do the same thins?  Anyone have any suggestions?

So my first PitBoss 24 was acquired last year.  In February of this year, the bottom outside bowl cracked.  Dansons required me to lug the grill back to Costco to do an actual exchange instead of shipping me a new unit.  The reasoning was that the new year model base does not fit the top.  So I took the entire grill back and did an exchange at Costco with no problem since as we all know Costco is great in situations like this.

Well last week on a cook, the bottom cracked AGAIN.  After contacting Dansons, they tell me that I again have to bring the entire grill back to Costco.  This was extremely frustrating and disappointing as it is extremely burdensome to do so.  I asked the customer service rep what happen when Costco stop selling the grill and we know that Costco does stop carrying item how warranty would be handled and they didn't really have an answer.  This response has gotten be really concerned and may not consider just returning the grill and purchasing another brand.  

It does seem like they have manufacturing issues with their ceramics since this is the second bottom bowl to crack on me.  I also just look a close look at their warranty.  It specifically states replacement, F.O.B. Shipment.  This means that the customer is responsible for all freight charges that would be required to get the replacement item to your home.  I am really concerned at this point.  Do other manufacturers do the same thins?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Return it and buy a KJ or Primo.

See if there is a local KJ Roadshow and return and buy a KJ...

How many cooks did it have on it?

Did you do any super high temp cooks, like pizza or to burn off residues?

Mine is two weeks old and four fires since new, sorta got me worried.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:11 PM, Chasdev said:

How many cooks did it have on it?

Did you do any super high temp cooks, like pizza or to burn off residues?

Mine is two weeks old and four fires since new, sorta got me worried.

This was actually my second grill, only have had it since end of February.  I did one last switch to a new grill.  If this one also cracks, I am going to go to KJ so at least they ship the replacement part to my house and I don't have to drag the grill back to Costco.

15 minutes ago, Benm3 said:

This was actually my second grill, only have had it since end of February.  I did one last switch to a new grill.  If this one also cracks, I am going to go to KJ so at least they ship the replacement part to my house and I don't have to drag the grill back to Costco.

In your profile pic that looks like a prior model Pit boss. Just asking because my Costco has the Pit Boss but the handle is a black composite material. Wondering if they might have changed the design on the newer models and don't have that issue anymore.

1 hour ago, lastJoe said:

In your profile pic that looks like a prior model Pit boss. Just asking because my Costco has the Pit Boss but the handle is a black composite material. Wondering if they might have changed the design on the newer models and don't have that issue anymore.

If you search the Pit Boss forum you will see when i switched to the new design.  It was only back in February.  I was one of the first ones to get my hands on a new model in person.  All ceramics crack, its more about Dansons who makes Pit Boss is handling the warranty.  Yes it is under warranty, but they are requiring you to bring the grill back to Costco to exchange, which is a pain in the ###.  Other manfacturers will just ship a new part to your door.  Dansons fine print on the warranty is shipping FOB, so the consumer is technically responsible for the shipping costs of warranty items.  

Wow, yeah, glad I held off a bit then. Only time will tell if you had 2 flukes, or it is really a bad design/manufacturing process. And I totally agree, what a PITA bringing a used ceramic grill of that weight back to the store. Costco just throws it in the garbage too, what a shame.

Just now, lastJoe said:

Wow, yeah, glad I held off a bit then. Only time will tell if you had 2 flukes, or it is really a bad design/manufacturing process. And I totally agree, what a PITA bringing a used ceramic grill of that weight back to the store. Costco just throws it in the garbage too, what a shame.

Like I said, it's not so much about the cracking, KJ, BGE, I have all seen crack on the bottom as well.  For me, it's more of handling of the warranty replacement.  My grill is on a deck that has stairs, so the grill has to be carried down the stairs, packed up in the car with the stand, etc.  Exchange for the new one after which I have to reassemble, carry back up the stairs to my deck.  I also then reseal the lower vent with High temp silicone so have t redo that as well.  Just a hassle.....  At least if a part is shipped to my house it is a lot less schlepping around with a whole dirty grill.

Just now, Benm3 said:

Like I said, it's not so much about the cracking, KJ, BGE, I have all seen crack on the bottom as well.  For me, it's more of handling of the warranty replacement.  My grill is on a deck that has stairs, so the grill has to be carried down the stairs, packed up in the car with the stand, etc.  Exchange for the new one after which I have to reassemble, carry back up the stairs to my deck.  I also then reseal the lower vent with High temp silicone so have t redo that as well.  Just a hassle.....  At least if a part is shipped to my house it is a lot less schlepping around with a whole dirty grill.

Heck yeah!!

I Agree...that would not be fun. I have been using mine a few times a week since purchasing a couple of months ago. Hope I never have to deal with that but if I did I would be upset about having to bring that heavy grill back to Costco and then pick up a new one. Not my idea of a fun afternoon. Its simply just a return and exchange. 

If there was a road show at my local Costco Id most likely exchange it at that time for a KJ. 

But so far it has been great for me. 

Agreed. I guess with my Akorn purchase recently I don't really have a need, but will be keeping an eye for end of season if they blow them out like they did last year (I think I read) and drop them down to $399 from the current $599. Will be tough to hold off on that.

2 minutes ago, lastJoe said:

Agreed. I guess with my Akorn purchase recently I don't really have a need, but will be keeping an eye for end of season if they blow them out like they did last year (I think I read) and drop them down to $399 from the current $599. Will be tough to hold off on that.

I am hoping for that and getting a price match/credit...