Jump to content

Another season, and another hood from Akorn popping out from body.


Recommended Posts

So last night I was cooking some stuffed burgers, and after heating up the grill, I loft the hood up and it goes back and keeps going.

 

I think the issue may be the higher heat of the grill. It was at 500+ at the time. So looks like another call to get a new body.

 

The KJ or Vision is looking better to.me :( fortunately the Customer service for Akorn is top notch, so hopefully they will replace a second one.

 

 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can replace those rivnuts pretty easily!  The ones that Chargriller installed are too small for the job so they pop out under stress.  I picked up this threaded fastener installation tool from Harbor Freight for less than $20, and it comes with a selection of rivnuts including the ones that fit the Akorn bolts. (I posted a thread in this forum a month or so ago that describes the entire process for replacement.)  If yours pulled the rivnuts out completely it's an even easier process.  Just tap the metal on the body back into place and install new rivnuts.  I helped a friend do this a few weeks ago and it only took about 10 min.

 

In this pic the silver rivnut is one that came with the kit and the black one is one that pulled out of my Akorn.  You can definitely see the difference in size!

Akorn 02.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
You can replace those rivnuts pretty easily!  The ones that Chargriller installed are too small for the job so they pop out under stress.  I picked up this threaded fastener installation tool from Harbor Freight for less than $20, and it comes with a selection of rivnuts including the ones that fit the Akorn bolts. (I posted a thread in this forum a month or so ago that describes the entire process for replacement.)  If yours pulled the rivnuts out completely it's an even easier process.  Just tap the metal on the body back into place and install new rivnuts.  I helped a friend do this a few weeks ago and it only took about 10 min.
 
In this pic the silver rivnut is one that came with the kit and the black one is one that pulled out of my Akorn.  You can definitely see the difference in size!
590fc49c69fbb_Akorn02.jpg.80948e20f8ae2d49d6ec52a06500bb98.jpg

Awesome heading to HF sometime this week. Do they sell extra eivit b
Nuts? Right now toop two fully out, and bottom two stressed. Hoped to replace all 4 and have extras just in case

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chipster67 said:


Awesome heading to HF sometime this week. Do they sell extra eivit b
Nuts? Right now toop two fully out, and bottom two stressed. Hoped to replace all 4 and have extras just in case

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

 

The kit came with the rivet gun, threaded inserts for the gun in four common sizes, and 10 rivnuts for each size.  I didn't look for extras, but I know you can get them from a variety of sources online, all the way up to nice aviation quality fasteners.

 

Replacing your top two should be easy.  Just use something to bend the metal back into shape, insert a new rivnut and use the tool to install.  There's actually a metal backing plate behind those four holes.  With the installation tool you can snug the outer shell down to the plate pretty tight.  For the bottom ones, you may be able to set them with the tool, or else you can pull them out and replace.  Worst case you'll need to remove the inner shell of the Akorn body and tap them out from the inside.  Then reinstall the shell with 1/8 standard rivets.

 

Again, you can see the difference between the small ones used by Chargriller and the replacement up top.

Akorn 03.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
On 5/8/2017 at 6:26 PM, paulleve said:

 

The kit came with the rivet gun, threaded inserts for the gun in four common sizes, and 10 rivnuts for each size.  I didn't look for extras, but I know you can get them from a variety of sources online, all the way up to nice aviation quality fasteners.

 

Replacing your top two should be easy.  Just use something to bend the metal back into shape, insert a new rivnut and use the tool to install.  There's actually a metal backing plate behind those four holes.  With the installation tool you can snug the outer shell down to the plate pretty tight.  For the bottom ones, you may be able to set them with the tool, or else you can pull them out and replace.  Worst case you'll need to remove the inner shell of the Akorn body and tap them out from the inside.  Then reinstall the shell with 1/8 standard rivets.

 

Again, you can see the difference between the small ones used by Chargriller and the replacement up top.

Akorn 03.jpg

 

Did you have to take out the internal shell to do the repair?   That is insulation I see, correct?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, odie91 said:

 

Did you have to take out the internal shell to do the repair?   That is insulation I see, correct?

 

 

 

 

My Akorn fell and had a dent in the front.  I removed the inner shell in order to bang the dent out from inside, and this also made it easy to remove the old rivnuts by tapping them out.  A buddy of mine had a problem with the rivnuts in his, and we managed to fix it without removing the inner liner.

 

Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...