Condensation in Temp Guage

GS1397

Hey Guys,

So I started a high heat cook last night for a couple of steaks as well as put the cast iron pan on the grill to quickly cook some shrimp for a little surf n turf. Well when the grill got to about 300, it started raining; Needless to say, I had everything prepped and the grill was heating up fine, so proceeded on. The grill got up to about 550 and held it fine to cook the steaks and the cast iron did the shrimp great. 

However, during this process, the temp gauge developed condensation between the glass and the dial. Is there anyway short of replacing the gauge to fix this? I don't intend to cook in the rain but glad i can if it sneaks up on me, which can happen in the south during the summer.... 

This is an easy fix.  Simply put your dome thermometer in your kitchen over set at about 300°F. This temp guarantees that all the water will turn to steam.  After an hour at 300°, turn your oven off, leave the dome thermometer in there, and just let the oven cool to room temp.  Problem solved.  Then put your dome thermometer back in your kamado.  

I had this on my Vision after I first got it , but I live in a rain forest oh well , used it for 3 years this way . When it first happened really thought I needed a new gauge but after sitting in the direct sunlight a few hours it would clear up , needless to say my friend as had that same grill for a couple of years now and swears by that gauge as to a maverick or thermoworks smoke to do his cook's.

• 3 weeks later...