Weber Charcoal Baskets for Joetisserie cooks

Charcoal Addict

I was thinking of using my old Weber Charcoal baskets to bank coals for the new Joetisserie when it arrives this week.  I never used them on my Kettle.  The person who purchased my Kettle didn't want them.

What do you guys think about using the Weber Charcoal Baskets for banking coal in the Big Joe?

IMG_0183.JPG

KAB now makes an adjustable basket divider for the BJ that will probably be easier to use. However you have those on hand already so they're worth a try. My Jotisserie hasn't arrived yet.....six weeks and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, HawaiiJoe said:

KAB now makes an adjustable basket divider for the BJ that will probably be easier to use. However you have those on hand already so they're worth a try. My Jotisserie hasn't arrived yet.....six weeks and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately my 2nd Gen KAB's have a warpperd in the bottom.  I'm not sure if the KAB divider will sit correctly.

I have the rounder heavy wire Weber kind, and use them with a loaf sized drip pan in between them.  I like that I can put coals/fire in front and back or one or the other.  The loaf pan wedges between them nicely on a Classic sized Kamado.

next question on this topic.... If you are only burning coal on one side, do you want it to be the back side, where the spin is going toward the fire, or front, where the spin is coming back up away from the fire.  For some reason, it seems like I read somewhere/sometime that it's better to have th heat on the side rotating up and away, rather than down into the heat.  I've tried both ways and couldn't tell much difference in the results... But it was a much bigger PITA doing t with the heat up front.  Is one better than the other?  If so, why?

The one thing I've always disliked about the Ceramic Grill Store's Angle-L brackets is the reduced airflow by covering too many holes in of the Joe's Charcoal grate.  

I will consider replacing the KA baskets eventually.  I would rather get a couple of years out of the warped KA's given both baskets are only 18 months old. 

Hi guys, 

Could I use my weber basket in my KJ Classic to keep the coals under the open side when using the D and C system/? i.e. searing steaks/sausages etc but using the other side with half moon deflector and veg etc?

10 hours ago, SamHarrisKJ said:

Hi guys, 

Could I use my weber basket in my KJ Classic to keep the coals under the open side when using the D and C system/? i.e. searing steaks/sausages etc but using the other side with half moon deflector and veg etc?

I think you are asking if one can pile up charcoal on one side and still use the other side for cooking? The short answer is yes. The long answer is yes, you can do anything you want on your grill! You are encouraged to explore and try new techniques and figure out what works best for you. if doing veggies indirect this would be more on par with roasting rather than grilling.

I typically pile charcoal on one side when doing a reverse sear or a regular sear for that matter. Piling up coal on one side is just another method of creating an indirect zone -- which is the function of a heat deflector. Often times, I will pile up the coal on one side and still use the deflector on the cool side.

I have found some success using the weber rails in my kick ash ($10) for moving ash to one side. I will be using these with my Joetisserie.

https://www.amazon.ca/Weber-7402-Charcoal-Rails/dp/B000WEKMK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494466668&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+charcoal+rails

DSCN5608.jpg

DSCN5613.jpg