I use a MAPP torch from home depot.  Works great and lights the BBQ quick. If you want to use a regular size lighter you might have to use fire starter cubes. 

29 minutes ago, alwyslpy said:

ditto on above post. MAPP torch works great. I've lost count of how many I have lit up and stilil plenty of MAPP left.

Is there a MAPP torch you recommend?  

CC - so you buy the hose attachment and just buy the disposable propane tanks?  

Pardon my ignorance here but I'm over using the starter cubes and my old BBQ lighter always seems to go missing.  

1 minute ago, dfy8811 said:

CC - so you buy the hose attachment and just buy the disposable propane tanks?  

Pardon my ignorance here but I'm over using the starter cubes and my old BBQ lighter always seems to go missing.  

That's exactly whatI  do.  The last little propane cylinder I bought from Ace cost e under $5.  You can find the holster, hose and head at Amazon.  It allows for pinpoint starting your fire(s) in the kamado.

The Mapp lighter  I bought was at Home Depot it is a Bezomatic with a automatic lighter on it.  Any big box hardware stores should have both the propane and MAPP with the hoses.  Like CC said Amazon too.