How To Sharpen Your Knives Like A Pro

Garvinque

• 3 weeks later...

Don't pros start with a 2x72 grinder.  Then sanding, then and assortment of free hand stones?  

When making and sharpening blades daily or weekly, I can see it would be easy to maintain the muscle memory.  My kitchen knives get sharpened once a year, I know I will do more harm than good free hand on stones. I have a guided system like the apex.  

Now that I am making/selling handles and diving deeper into the knife world, I took a plunge and cut my first knife blanks out. 

In younger days, I was a knife sharpening "snob" -- hand sharpen only.

These day, I'm more pragmatic -- just go with what works for you & keep them sharp -- it all depends on the time you have & your level of expertise, &, perhaps the expensive outlay you have invested in your knives.

E.g.  I have a daughter who has some really nice German knives.  And, a husband that has hand sharpening expertise, but doesn't always get around to sharpening those kitchen knives.  She uses one of those quality drag-through knife sharpeners when her knives need it & hubby doesn't get around to the hand method.  It works for them & her knives are kept sharp. 

E.g.  Another daughter always asking me to sharpen her medium quality knives.  They usually are pretty dull & I don't wish to take the time to stone them back into good sharp shape.  I use a Chef's Choice electric.  All the kitchen knives back to pretty good & sharp shape in less then 15 minutes!  She's happy & I'm happy not to eat up too much time when we're visiting.

BE pragmatic -- everyone is not going to take the time to stone their knives -- I just like to see people using sharp knives!

Beautiful knives, mpowell.  

Thanks jackjumper101--they are all custom made. Currently saving up for a set of custom steak knives, but still doing research in the design I want. Here's the website if you want to check it out. Www.weigeknives.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BBQ Bob said:

I have a Tormek system for my shop tools, is that overkill for knives and scissors??

Yes and no.  If I remember correctly the tormek is basicly a big wet stone with a large radius. You will end up with slight hollow(concave) grind. In general you don't see hollow grinds on kitchen knives. convex grinds are more popular for edge stability and food release. 

It may may or may not work for you. Try it on a cheap knife and see if you like how it cuts food. 

On 6/6/2017 at 4:20 PM, bcrgrill said:

In younger days, I was a knife sharpening "snob" -- hand sharpen only.

These day, I'm more pragmatic -- just go with what works for you & keep them sharp -- it all depends on the time you have & your level of expertise, &, perhaps the expensive outlay you have invested in your knives.

E.g.  I have a daughter who has some really nice German knives.  And, a husband that has hand sharpening expertise, but doesn't always get around to sharpening those kitchen knives.  She uses one of those quality drag-through knife sharpeners when her knives need it & hubby doesn't get around to the hand method.  It works for them & her knives are kept sharp. 

E.g.  Another daughter always asking me to sharpen her medium quality knives.  They usually are pretty dull & I don't wish to take the time to stone them back into good sharp shape.  I use a Chef's Choice electric.  All the kitchen knives back to pretty good & sharp shape in less then 15 minutes!  She's happy & I'm happy not to eat up too much time when we're visiting.

BE pragmatic -- everyone is not going to take the time to stone their knives -- I just like to see people using sharp knives!

Very well said. One very good reason not to get a knife that is a work of art LOL.

EDIT Confession never was a master hand sharpener either.

If anyone is interested in getting into real hand sharpening without the $$$ outlay of Japanese or Arkansas stones -- there is a way.

Google "mousepad" sharpening system.  All you need is on old style mousepad, some various weights carborundum paper, & maybe a homemade strop from an old belt.  It is a system I have gone to, & works incredibly well -- getting knives to shaving sharpness quite easily -- both a good beginner method & one with little outlay cost.  My old WW2 vintage stones are getting wore out, so rather than spend a lot of money (at my age), I've gone to this "cheap" method -- & it works easy, good -- can't recommend anything better for hand sharpening -- gives you that nice convex edge, so desired for a kitchen knife.  Hunting, pocket, & "my" kitchen knives get the mousepad sharpening method!

(Knives of less quality or that get "abuse", get the quick sharpen on a Chef's Choice electric!  E.g. some of wife's kitchen knives & one of our daughter's knives)