Slow 'N Sear Kettle Add-On

John Setzler

DSC00673-s.jpg

I recently made a connection with Adrenaline BBQ Company's Dave Parrish with the help of @Baby Back Maniac.  It turns out that Dave lives pretty close to me so we had lunch together one day last week and he hooked me up with one of these Slow 'N Sear charcoal baskets that works in the Weber Kettle.  I will be making a video demo/review of this product for the Man Cave Meals youtube channel and facebook group this week....

DSC00674-s.jpg

This thing is super solid... made of 304 Stainless and it weights about six pounds.  

DSC00675-s.jpg

It's made in the USA!

DSC00676-s.jpg

It's designed to work in the Weber Kettle grills or other kettle grills of the same size.  

I have done a lot of low and slow cooking on the Weber Kettle grills before I ever owned a Kamado so this is sorta getting back to my roots a little and it will be fun!  I have a nice rack of beef ribs that I plan to cook tomorrow with this...

I think you are going to love that thing. I know I'm supposed to say that but the only reason I feel comfortable working with them is because I enjoy the product so much.

Dave probably told you this, but the SnS insulates the hottest wall of the kettle via an air gap (similar to how the Summit works). Since the heat doesn't transfer through that wall as much,  it makes the whole kettle a little more efficient. All that to say, you may need to close the vents down a touch more than you typically do to maintain the same temps. (you are familiar with adjusting vents to maintain temps, right?!? lol )

I was on the fence about getting one for my performer, just trying to figure out the added benefit to this versus the cheap charcoal holders that come with the performer. Also explaining to the wife why I need it as she catches me trying to sneak into the garage. It definitely looks like a quality built product.

Several of my kettle friends in OK and TX have these and they love them.  I've been around these during several cooks and they are the real deal.  The boys at ABC are building a real following with this product.  Based on what I've seen and tasted, the SnS is a winner.

I am doing a test burn on it right now.  I have the vents mostly closed and it's currently at about 250°.  I am curious to see if it will stay at 250.  My kettle doesn't seem to be as air tight as my last one.  I know these things are not air tight by nature but my last performer was a little tighter than the one I have now.

4 minutes ago, Stowe Boy said:

Let us know if you maintain 250.

I cannot on mine. As was mentioned the newer ones do not seem as airtight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will.  I am going to have to run another 'proof' test.  This one has not been so successful.  It got up to over 300 degrees and I had to do some tweaking.  I may have that worked out now but I'll need to do another test.

[mention=99]Baby Back Maniac[/mention]

Did you use this on a regular kettle or just on your summit?

Yes, most of my cooks with them have been in my kettles. The summit and Jumbo Joe versions just came out, actually, (though I've had a prototype for a while) but that's why most of my reps have been with the 22 and 26 inch kettles. I think it actually does more for the kettles than the summit.

I thought I'd enjoy having one for my kettle but i really didn't anticipate how much. I don't think I've done a kettle cook without it since I started using them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the recommendations ABC suggests is using binder clips on the lid if your kettle is leaky.

Also, if your kettle is new or recently cleaned, the lower vent will be leaky until ash/seasoning fills in around it.

I usually start with top and bottom vents around 25% and go from there. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk