lastJoe

New Akorn assembled, ready to go. Just season & roll?

Got my new Akorn yesterday off Amazon and followed the pretty straightforward directions to get it all assembled and ready. Read that you should season with vegetable oil. Should be no problem, and got some Royal Oak lump at Walmart over lunch to give it the first med-high temp cook off to get things burnt off. I did get the Weber SS grate based off the recommendation in a few other Akorn threads I saw, and judging by the size I'm assuming this smaller diameter grate fits down lower, on the 3 tabs that hold the heat deflector, to give a more direct heating grate for steaks, burgers, etc?

Yes after you season your grate, then remove it. Then do a burn off to clean it out, you could just use the residual heat if the lit charcoal to cook something. Yes the weber grate fits on the three tabs to hold charcoal you've already lit higher for searing. You'd be better off just using the coals in the bowl for direct cooking of burgers, dogs, etc.

Oh, ok, got it. So the grate that I bought to sit on the tabs is to raise the charcoals to sear, not to drop the meat down to sear. Makes sense.

So for the seasoning, you put the oil on, then it says to heat it up to 400F to season the grate & burn off any oils, chemicals, etc. You mean remove it after that?

That's the way I used it when I had an Akorn.

You would be fine leaving the grate in there as long as you don't exceed the burn point of the oil your using to season the grate. I used crisco and let it go for about 20-30 minutes at 400. You should be fine after that cooking something like dogs or burgers.

You may want to take some time one day and just burn some charcoal trying to adjust the vents for your desired temperatures.

First season, fire and grill went fantastic. So stoked and the flavor improvement over my Weber propane is so grand. Wish I would've been grilling this way for the past 20 yrs. anyway, here are a few pics from the inaugural run. 86679eb303e724f7d55a46c64acdb40a.jpgbe9471653c44857ca8290d6984dbf196.jpgbc76c38c0a51f4723b6716e5222fe206.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And tonight it was marinaded salmon on the Akorn, so damn good, like night and day from the old propane Weber. Settled in around 400F and did about 5-6 min per side and came out spot on. So much more juice and moisture than when it comes off the Weber. I guess I'm preaching to the choir here. And it is pretty normal to want to cook on this thing about every night of the week?!

15 hours ago, lastJoe said:

And tonight it was marinaded salmon on the Akorn, so damn good, like night and day from the old propane Weber. Settled in around 400F and did about 5-6 min per side and came out spot on. So much more juice and moisture than when it comes off the Weber. I guess I'm preaching to the choir here. And it is pretty normal to want to cook on this thing about every night of the week?!

lol Yes it is normal. I am a consultant, so I work most weeks (Sunday-Thursday night) away from home. I dream those nights away about getting home to grill. lol 

I had the same experience as you. Always grilled with gas and thought I was the bomb UNTIL I got my Akorn. Food over real fire and some smoke is 100 times better. I leave work here today about 1PM and will be home grilling at about 7! 

Get a ceramic diffuser, throw on some seasoned chicken thighs or quarters with skin on, hold temp ~250 for 2.5hrs or so.....change your life!

When you installed the ash pan, you slide it into the Crossbars right?

Just checking because I didn't when I first got mine and it really will kill you when you try low and slow. 

Enjoy it, I'm very happy with mine.   Everything just tastes great off it and never dried out.      

6 hours ago, mca90guitar said:

When you installed the ash pan, you slide it into the Crossbars right?

Just checking because I didn't when I first got mine and it really will kill you when you try low and slow. 

Enjoy it, I'm very happy with mine.   Everything just tastes great off it and never dried out.      

Um, not really sure and actually don't think I did. When I put the pan on I just lifted it up from the bottom, straight vertical, and latched it on. I don't remember sliding it horizontal at all. I'm going to def check that tonight! Thanks for the tip. I had a good bit of lump in there for my first cook, but still thought it was much higher heat than it was supposed to be. I had the lower vent all but closed and it was still up around 400F. That might have been the problem!

I totally see that now, and I remember looking in after putting the ash pan on, and thinking it didn't look like things were lining up right on the inside, but I got the latches down so I moved on. I'm most certain now that I do not have that post of the ash pan in the center of that bracket (male in the female).

ash.jpg

yup thats it, slides in there.

My practice runs i basically had everything closed it it still went over 350 and would take HRS to kill them flame,  one time it went 8 hrs and still had coals going:oops:

Read a few posts and someone asked about the ash pan and sure enough i installed it wrong.   now it works amazing and is really easy to get under 250 degrees and kills the flame fast once shut down.