I just purchased my Akorn off Amazon the other day and will be putting it together this weekend. I've been cooking on webers/gassers for years and wanted to change it up for some low-n-slow smoking and this forum made me pull the trigger. It will be my only current grill, so I was trying to figure out the best way to cook a reverse sear/2-zone steak or similar. It's the best way to cook a steak IMO and I see many varying ways to do it. What you you guys consider the best?

The main thread on this site showing the custom bent wire basket or something no longer shows pictures so I had a tough time trying to understand how that process all worked. I've seen split diffusers online, the adjustable CharGriller rack, searing directly on the weber grate...etc. Has anyone been able to replicate a true 2-zone cooking process where I can bring a steak up to 105 in 45 min or so, then sear it quick up to 125?

Hi MustangSS glad to have both you and your Akorn with us. I am not sure what kid of diffuser rack comes with an Akorn, but here is a pic of how I do a two zone set up on my large Egg. I just did a Tri Tip and CowBoy beans cook. I simply slip a half 13" or 14" stone onto a spider placed beneath my main grate. In this pic you can see my pot of beans set over the stone and the Tri Tip directly over my coals. Previous to this pic I positioned the Tri Tip directly above the foil wrapped 1/2 stone. This set up works easy pizzey, you simply slide the meat from one side to the other. During this cook I brought the Tri Tip up to and IT of  110 and then moved it over to sear up to an IT  125, before I pulled it.  

You can see the stone or the left side of my Egg, beneath the main grate. 

DSC_3118.JPG

-Light your coals and manage your vents for low/slow.

-Set a cast iron griddle on the Weber grate. I use the one from Academy sports

-Cook steaks low/slow to an IT of 105.

-Open vents and remove main cooking grate.

-When your griddle is screaming hot throw the steaks on for a finishing sear.

So here's the searing basket set-up.  You need the Weber charcoal grate (or one like it) that fits on the lower tabs, and it helps to have the expanded metal basket to contain the lump.

Cook on the cool side until you're close to pull temp, then finish with a sear on the hot side.

It takes about 3/4 of a chimney to fill up your hot side with lit lump.  The lump will be very close to the meat and you'll get a good sear.

IMG_0648.JPG

On 5/10/2017 at 11:58 AM, 540perry said:

So here's the searing basket set-up.  You need the Weber charcoal grate (or one like it) that fits on the lower tabs, and it helps to have the expanded metal basket to contain the lump.

Cook on the cool side until you're close to pull temp, then finish with a sear on the hot side.

It takes about 3/4 of a chimney to fill up your hot side with lit lump.  The lump will be very close to the meat and you'll get a good sear.

IMG_0648.JPG

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Any info on how to build this basket? I saw there was another thread a while ago but the pictures are missing.

21 minutes ago, MustngSS said:

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Any info on how to build this basket? I saw there was another thread a while ago but the pictures are missing.

FWIW Weber has half moon charcoal holders that will do the trick. Should be able to find them at any big box store like Home Depot.

37 minutes ago, MustngSS said:

• Go to HD/Lowes and buy the Weber charcoal grate that fits the lower tabs, and a 12" x 24" steel expanded sheet (plain steel not galvanized)
  • Cut the steel to match the grate.
  • Bend the other end up to contain the lump.  I just clamped it in my B&D work table and did it with a rubber mallet.

I use the Slow N Sear charcoal basket. It fits perfectly between the Weber grate & the cast iron main grate. I'll snap a cpl pics the next time I use it. 

2 minutes ago, phyre said:

I use the Slow N Sear charcoal basket. It fits perfectly between the Weber grate & the cast iron main grate. I'll snap a cpl pics the next time I use it. 

This is exactly what i did. It worked perfectly. Of course any thing that holds the lump in a nice high pile will work.

How about using a metal starter tower in the center to sear then put the steaks on the sides while the lumps continue to heat from the center of the starter tower.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:11 AM, AugustusRooster said:

To each his own but the Slow N Sear seems like overkill (from a cost perspective) for this particular use. You're just looking for something to keep the lump in one place as Marty says.

Might be a lil overkill, but I'd bet it does a much better job keeping the cool(ish) side at a lower temp. 2 layers of metal & an air gap between it & the coals. Also if I remember correctly, its like $35...not overly expensive. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado People
      I did my second reverse sear with a 2.5-inch-thick sirloin and the result was great. Applied a good rub/spice and brought internal up to 40C slowly about 40minutes this took and rested, followed by a quick high temp sear, now the taste is superb, and I reckon can’t be beat by the normal grilling method. However, I feel the steak needs to be more tender, comparing tenderness to normal thickness and grill, reverse searing the steak is not as tender as a standard 1inch steak would be grilled over hot coal and grill.
      I will appreciate any tips, tricks or advise on improving tenderness?
      Keep smoking

• By Lydia
      This is one of my favourite salads that really delivers far more voomph than the list of ingredients would suggest.

I bought a sous vide machine about a year ago and have only used it twice, always thinking that I would love to do some eye fillets (inspired by @AntinOz, and figured that this was as good a time as any to pull the box out from the bottom of the cupboard.  After biting into that beef which was as soft as butter, the Anova is going to be stored in a more accessible spot going forward.

Easy Thai Beef Salad Ingredients
      2 x 250g eye fillet steaks or similar
      Oil for cooking steak
      150g of mixed lettuce leaves
      1 telegraph cucumber
      1 carrot sliced into thin strips
      ½ to 1 red capsicum sliced into thin strips
      1 red onion sliced thinly (I omitted due to raw onion allergy)
      Salt and pepper
      1 bunch coriander leaves, picked
      1 bunch mint leaves, torn if large
      Toasted sesame seeds

Salad Dressing Ingredients
      1 teaspoon peanut oil (I subbed with grapeseed oil because it’s a no flavour oil that I had in the cupboard)
      1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
      2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
      2 teaspoons fish sauce

Method
      I started off with seasoning my beautiful steaks with salt and pepper and then vacuum sealing them.  I left them on the counter to come to room temp whilst I got the water up to 54 degrees C / 130 F.

They were in the water bath for two hours and when I removed them, I patted them dry using paper towels, which ensures a crust can form.

I heated up the Kamado to 220 degrees C / 430F with the coals banked to the left and the grate in the lower position.  I then put a cast iron fry pan on there to heat up with the lid down.

Whilst I was doing all this, I prepared my veggies and dressing.

Once the pan was hot, I put in a tablespoon or so of oil, swirled it around and cooked the steaks, about 30 seconds on each side.

The steaks then camped out in a foil tent for about 10 mins.

Holy moly! Slicing through those buttery steaks was a revelation!!

So juicy ... and all evenly dispersed within the meat!!

To assemble the salad, I just layered the lettuce, herbs, topped with the veggies, placed the slices of steak on top, drizzled on the dressing and sprinkled with the sesame seeds.

I made extra salad and doubled the dressing, which hubby and I took to work for lunch today causing lunchbox envy in the workplace. LOL. 

Not sure if the entry counts given the steaks were only finished on the Kamado but I’m cool with it either way because it’s an easy and tasty recipe that I hope you try.
    • By Tarnation
      My sister gifted our mom and me a steak dinner for our birthdays this month.  Meaning she bought the steaks and I cooked them.  I used a mix of seasoning salts, Lawry's, garlic salt, and something else my dad had in the cabinet to season them.  I wish I could have really let the seasoning salts do their job for awhile, but basically just let them come up to room temperature since they were purchased today and we were eating them tonight.  I low and slowed them on my Akorn for about an hour @250ish using my BBQube and Bluetooth temp monitor to get them to about 115-120 internal.  I then transferred them to some cast iron skillets with melted butter in them I had heated to 450-500 on my dad's gas burner and seared them for 1 minute per side.  Overall fantastic results. I wanted a good medium/medium-rare for mine and I think I got it dead on.  Money shots provided.

• By pmillen
      I have a Santa Maria grill on the way.  I’ve watched a few video recipes but find them lacking the detail I require for my first few cooks.  Where can I find a primer to provide an introduction to Santa Maria grilling?  I’m interested in–
      Do I grill over flame or glowing coals? What should the grate temperature be for searing?  (A function of fire size and grate elevation.) What should the grate temperature be for grilling? Anything additional that a novice should know. For me, a non-intuitive cook, ideal instructions would be something like, “To sear your steak, raise or lower the grate until it registers XXX°.  After searing, adjust the grate until it registers YYY° for continued grilling.”
    • By GrillDawg
      Having some guys over on Sunday evening to hang out and I'm wanting to get them all steaks. Would prefer to do some kind of reverse sear.

Since I won't be able to fit them all on the grill, I was thinking put them all in the oven to temp and then sear them. 

Anyone see a flaw in my plan? Any advice on grilling 10-12 steaks on a KJ Classic II?