Kamado Joe Big Joe

leadbewj

Just added to my collection the Big Joe from the Costco Road Show.  Wow is that thing nice.  my Pit Boss K24 is dwarfed by it.... LOL.  Like the new improvements for 2017.  Just finished the seasoning burn.  Can't wait to fire that puppy up and do me a cook.  I think it might be surf and turf time for Mothers Day with Baked Potatoes and Asparagus 

IMG_3387.JPG

43 minutes ago, leadbewj said:

I have been grilling and smoking for 40 years and the Kamado is fantastic

Glad you are enjoying it. I recently got a big joe as well. Mine isnt the upgraded 2017, but i have been enjoying it quite a bit.

Hey, I just recently got a 2017 BJ as well. What's the seasoning burn you are referring to? is that required/ recommended? 

Not really a seasoning, but rather cleaning. Do one burn with the heat deflectors & grates in and go up to ~400F. Then, using well insulated gloves, remove the heat deflectors and open vents fully. Let her burn to let's say 700F. Then let the grill cool down.

There's nothing to season in the grill. Only things to come in contact with your food are the grates. In theory you could just as well wash them and start cooking.

However I prefer to do a "cleaning burn", just in case there's something nasty from strorage etc. A high temp burn should kill all impurities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The seasoning burn is a recommendation.  The manual doesn't say to do it but others have so I figured just do it.  Gave me some nice relaxing time after putting it together.  Let me tell you that beast is HEAVY....