Plaid Palace

Dry brining a turkey...

I'm going to do a dry brine on a turkey this weekend. Never done this before. 

Looks like you just run the brine on all over the bird and let it sit for 24 hours.  

Once you are about to cook the bird you wipe off some of the brine? Is that correct? Can you put a regular rub on at that point or is best to let the brine add the flavor by itself? 

Also, was going to cut the bird up pre cook just to help it get done a little quicker. Anyone ever done this? Thighs and legs, wings, then the breasts by itself. 

I dry brined a turkey for Thanksgiving, rubbed it down with kosher salt and sage mixture and let it sit 3 days.  Wiped it off and grilled it, very good.  I also spatchcocked it first so it would cook a little quicker, cutting it up would accomplish the same thing.  Full disclosure; I grilled it on my Weber performer as the KJ was occupied spinning a second turkey on the JT.

20 minutes ago, GrillnBrew said:

I dry brined a turkey for Thanksgiving, rubbed it down with kosher salt and sage mixture and let it sit 3 days.  Wiped it off and grilled it, very good.  I also spatchcocked it first so it would cook a little quicker, cutting it up would accomplish the same thing.  Full disclosure; I grilled it on my Weber performer as the KJ was occupied spinning a second turkey on the JT.

I did a wet brine for thanksgiving. 14# bird, spun it on the Joetisserie but the tisserie made some bad creeking noises like the bird was too heavy and it was causing strain on the motor. I decided I'd probably just stick to chickens on the Joetisserie from now on. 

Im not sure if a spatchcock turkey would fit on a KJ Classic. 

Rule of thumb: 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat or 1/4 teaspoon of table salt per pound, refrigerate for one to two hours. You do not need to rinse off excess salt. It will all be sucked into the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk