• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
soccerdad

So- Kamado or Blackstone?

31 posts in this topic

-MODS- I posted in the wrong section- Can you move to the non-recipe pizza area? 

I am not trying to stir up trouble :)  But I have seen several post about using their Blackstone pizza oven for great pizzas on this forum.  I am new to my Kamado Pit Boss, and love it. I mainly got it for low and slow, (haven't done that yet) but also liked the idea of it for pizza.   And I made some really good pizzas with it.  I just got the pizza bible and my dough tub and gram scale. So I am looking to step up and go on a real pizza journey.  I checked out the Blackstone on Amazon and found that it is only $280 on prime.  That sounds like a good deal.  But I hate "uni-tasking" devices.  But I also want a great pizza device.  Ease of use and speed is important.  I would love to have big pizza parties and try a variety of pies.  The Blackstone seems to offer a lot for high temp and for stable temps since you don't have to lift the lid.  So I ask this great knowledge base here: Is the Blackstone something I should also have?  I also see that there are others similar to the Blackstone so input there is also welcome.  I wish I could have a real stone pizza oven, but my budget just won't swing that. 

@soccerdad

I tnink this post is OK here since it's mainly about the preferred tool for cooking pizza...

I have both systems.  They each have their strenghts and weaknesses.  The blackstone is a seriously good pizza oven for the price.  If you want true neapolitan style pizza cooked at 900 degrees then you want a blackstone.  You can simulate true neapolitan pizza at lower temps and higher hydration doughs on the kamado at the 550 degree range.  The best piece of advice I can give you after my extensive studying of pizza technique over the last 5-6 months is this...

Buy the Ken Forkish "Elements of Pizza" book and read through it.

Try his recipes and techniques on your kamado and in your kitchen oven.

After that, decide if you want to add a Blackstone to your arsenal.  

Maybe we can get some extra input from @ckreef and @Mewantkj

Thanks john. To be honest I lust after the blackstone, the only reason I don't have one is time.  Once life calms down and the kids want to help me cook or stay out of my way, I will add a pizza oven. Until then, I make due with the Kamado.  I think the kamados make pizza 90-95% as good as the blackstone. Most people wouldn't notice the subtle differences. 

John Setzler likes this

11 minutes ago, soccerdad said:

I just got the pizza bible and my dough tub and gram scale. So I am looking to step up and go on a real pizza journey.  I checked out the Blackstone on Amazon and found that it is only $280 on prime.  That sounds like a good deal.  But I hate "uni-tasking" devices.  But I also want a great pizza device.  Ease of use and speed is important.  I would love to have big pizza parties and try a variety of pies.  

Reading the above a Blackstone is far superior than a kamado for thin, hot fast pizzas. I still do my pan/deep dish on the kamado but multiple thin crust goes on the Blackstone. There is a learning curve but once figured out,  with the right dough a Blackstone can pump out back to back pizzas in  3 minute intervals. That is the most important feature for my three person family. I can literally have 3 pizzas done and on the table in 10 minutes. That is what is needed for a large pizza party. 

Yes it's a uni-tasking device  but I don't think anyone has been sorry they bought it. 

The blackstone is not necessarily a unitasking device.  This is one of the reasons Blackstone calls it a patio oven instead of a pizza oven :)

I, for one, am certainly not sorry I bought my Blackstone.  It's among the best $300 purchases I ever made.

I use it at least 1X/week with predictable results both top and bottom as well as timing.

1 hour ago, soccerdad said:

...... But I hate "uni-tasking" devices.  

I also see that there are others similar to the Blackstone so input there is also welcome.  I wish I could have a real stone pizza oven, but my budget just won't swing that. 

reason i sold my WSM and went kamado was that it was pretty much a uni-tasking device, looked into building a pizza oven which led me to kamado, the swiss-army knife of grills.

happy with it for 4 years but the pizza bug bit me and for reasons you've listed, a more specific tool could be required for the task.

imagine the pizza & rib party you could have with a kamado and a black stone? win/win

I keep thinking about this but the main taste dIfference to me in kamado versus oven pizza is the hint of wood smoke from the lump charcoal. I just don't think the blackstone would replicate that. A kamado is probably not the best for pizza parties if everyone wants to eat at close to the same time. I typically do pizzas on Friday night so I'm not in a rush to get dinner on the table. My kk takes a while to heat soak. 

Disregard. Meaningless post. Mischief managed. 

Marty likes this

1 hour ago, shuley said:

I keep thinking about this but the main taste dIfference to me in kamado versus oven pizza is the hint of wood smoke from the lump charcoal. I just don't think the blackstone would replicate that. A kamado is probably not the best for pizza parties if everyone wants to eat at close to the same time. I typically do pizzas on Friday night so I'm not in a rush to get dinner on the table. My kk takes a while to heat soak. 

Cooking pizzas above 600 F you get complete combustion and the smoke flavor is from the crust charing. 

Less than 550 F, I agree. 

1 hour ago, shuley said:

I keep thinking about this but the main taste dIfference to me in kamado versus oven pizza is the hint of wood smoke from the lump charcoal....,,,

im in the same camp with regard to replicating the flavor from a WFO.

however, you've gotta love the temp that the black stone can hit and how quickly (for under $300)

Great, now I just need to figure out how to buy one without my wife thinking I'm crazy!  I like the thought of a 90 second pizza.  And will love to try it as I work through Ken's book.  And with this I can get it really in 90 seconds.  But our main go-to pizza is NY style.  So I see lots of demos on the high fast cook, but is it easy to control to get a little slower for a NY style?  My family does not like the char.  They are more the Papa Johns type.....  But want it with better flavor.  They also like true NY as well.  I assume the Blackstone can do that as well?  How long do they take?

Great, now I just need to figure out how to buy one without my wife thinking I'm crazy!  I like the thought of a 90 second pizza.  And will love to try it as I work through Ken's book.  And with this I can get it really in 90 seconds.  But our main go-to pizza is NY style.  So I see lots of demos on the high fast cook, but is it easy to control to get a little slower for a NY style?  My family does not like the char.  They are more the Papa Johns type.....  But want it with better flavor.  They also like true NY as well.  I assume the Blackstone can do that as well?  How long do they take?

She won't think you're crazy if she loves good pizza :)

I have not used my blackstone oven for lower temp pizzas yet. I have done my NY style on the Kamado at 550-ish.  You will just need to experiment with the gas valve on the Blackstone to get your temps.  You will probably also want to get an IR thermometer so you can know what the stone temp is.  

You can get the Blackstone down in the 375*-400* range. I've cooked Chicago style, pan style, baked Spaghetti, rolls etc... In the Blackstone all at lower temps. If you search carefully under my user name all those cooks were posted in the past. 

I use my Blackstone @ 450*/475* depending on the dough and toppings I'm using.  At those temps with higher hydration/more multipurpose flour and wetter toppings I get golden crusts with no char.

I agree with John--experimentation with the red flow adjustment knob on the Blackstone regulator give you flexibility.  A little practice will get you what you want, but it won't happen in 90 seconds.  My experience has been +/- 4 minutes.

An IR thermometer is a helpful tool for knowing exactly what your bottom stone temp is compared with the top stone temp.  Experimenting and experience will get you perfectly browned bottom and bubbly topping without char, if that is your preference.

You can look at my Blackstone pizza posts and judge if that is what you are hoping to achieve.