• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
shuley

KoKo Kamado Review-1 year in

As a preface, I am posting this because I found these kind of reviews very helpful and interesting prior to purchasing my KK. I am fully aware, as I state later in my review, that it is possible to produce  amazing food with any kamado and that I have done that myself. I am sure each and every one of you makes amazing food and this review is only intended to help out anyone who may be considering purchasing a KK. 

Approximately a year ago I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Komodo kamado. I feel like now that the "newness" has worn off, I can give a fair review over cooking the last year.  First of all, I am not the typical kk owner. I am a special education teacher and my husband is also a teacher. That being said, making a several thousand dollar purchase doesn't come easy to anyone. I started with a chargriller Akorn, and too be honest I thought anyone who would cough up the cash for a BGE/KJ/primo was crazy, let alone the Komodo kamado. I could turn out better BBQ, better pizza, and most better grilled meats than any other restaurant in town. 

And I still maintain that I could do that with an Akorn, and I'm sure many people could do with any kamado brand. I am not what you would call an elitist at all.

I want to say that for pizzas I am sure any brand of ceramic radiates more heat from the dome than I could produce with my Akorn.  And it was still vastly superior to anything I could get at a pizzeria. 

Pizzeria pizza is DEAD to me now!

That being said- the Komodo kamado has given me an EXTREME ease of use.  I still use it on average 4 times per week and it is my preferred mode of cooking for most things. People post that you learn how to get it exactly to where you want it - and it really only takes a few tries. I thought there was no way this was possible. I can literally light the charcoal, set the vents and when I come back- it is ready for me. I have done this- gone to the store, then been ready to cook as soon as I got home. It is slightly more work than an oven and much more fun because I am managing a live fire.   If I am using it for a low and slow, I can actually SLEEP at night and my alarm NEVER goes off due to temperature fluctuations. I will actually leave the house for the majority of the day, knowing that the Komodo kamado will maintain its temp. I also use barely more charcoal to heat this several hundred pound refractory cement gigantic grill than I used for my Akorn on a typical low and slow/grilling temperature cook. It does use more charcoal to heat soak for pizzas- but the results are much much better in terms of the crust texture. I was still tell my husband "have I told you how much I love my grill?" On a regular basis. The only issue I have ever had with it is with an accessory- the rotisserie spit. It is impossible to remove when heated on occasion (only twice so far). I may at some point attempt to grind the rod down a bit. This is just the accessory- the grill itself is just wonderful.   I can think of no downsides to it (other than cost). My food (ESPECIALLY chicken) comes out with more moisture. I didn't think it was possible- but believe me it is. The ease of control is unbelievable.  The website states that this grill is not for everyone- and I think that is true.

This is definitely the grill for me.   I can't really put into words how much I enjoy cooking on my KoKo kamado. 

It's nice when you make a purchase that is so satisfying, it seems to happen so rarely these days. Thanks for the review, it sounds like money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice review thanks for sharing your experience. However have one major complaint. Your post has no pix. Not even one pic of that KK. I want to see that KK in vibrant color.

Great story, Shuley. I remember that one of  your little boys said he wanted burgers cooked  on the KoKo Kamado and I guess the name stuck. I was a high school counselor, principal, and then district HR director, lots of respect and admiration for Spec Ed teachers. Thanks for what you do. :)

It is nice to see a review a year into the purchase as you mentioned it is a good time to reflect rather than just proclaim you have the latest toy. I'm glad you are Enjoying not just the food , the KK, but also the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad to hear that you are still enjoying the KK.  It sounds like one of the best purchases that you will ever make. I really appreciate how you focus on the ease, enjoyment, results, and gratitude of having the KK. I also really appreciate that you came from an Akorn and made a lot of good food on it and acknowledge that all Kamados are easily capable of making awesome food.

Yes it is expensive but once you have it that is it. It is not like a boat where you have to keep pouring money into it to keep it going.

i would love one but unless the universe works some magic that will not likly happen. But I will not be suffering with my Big Joe. I also cook on mine about three times a week even when it is 20 outside. People just think that I am crazy LOL. I bet no one tells you that.

Enjoy!!

Oh and i agree about the pictures. The one year review should include a picture of the inside with a years worth of character that has developed.

On 5/13/2017 at 4:56 AM, Tarheel said:

It's nice when you make a purchase that is so satisfying, it seems to happen so rarely these days. Thanks for the review, it sounds like money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely!  Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

On 5/13/2017 at 6:05 AM, ckreef said:

Great one year review. Just unboxing the crate and the sting to the bank account vanishes. 

This is probably the case for most people, but it brought back the memory of the bottom of the pallet breaking when we tried to push it off and I thought for sure we were going to tip it onto the concrete!!!!  I'm fairly certain my crate got wet in transit so my situation was unique. Once it was safely moved and I could breathe, my wallet stopped stinging!!!