Hoosierref

Deflector question

My Vision from Home Depot should be delivered in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to get all the extras to go along with it.  I ordered the Woo Ring with 2 15" half moon ceramic stones for smoking and using one for 2 zone grilling.  I also have a 14"  cast iron Round Griddle coming.  My question is...when I want to bake a pizza, can I use the CI round griddle as a deflector, and use the 2 moons for the pizza?  Thanks!

It should work, but I've found my deflectors have gotten so nasty I wouldn't want to put pizza on them. You might want to keep yours wrapped in foil when not doing pizza cooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2017-08-07 at 11:33 PM, Gore1242 said:

Im considering using a 14" cast iron skillet/pizza pan as a heat deflector as well. Have you tried it? How is that working out for you?

I use a 10.5" cast fry pan on my Akorn Jr.'s with great success.  I liked the results so much I bought a second pan for the second Jr. I keep at my cabin.  I cut the handles off and ground the edges smooth.

I use it as a diffuser, cover it with foil leaving an air space  and catch drippings when I want to, turn it upside down and with an air space place a pizza stone on it and I've even done a standing rib roast in it.  I suspend mine using 3/16" round bar, not sure how that would work for your application.  In your case the bigger pan for a bigger application should work well.

Edited by K'man

My husband and I recently purchased a M series Vision grill. From the reviews, it sounds like the lava stone heat diffusers break quite frequently. I have read that some people use pizza stones as heat deflectors, and above, people are discussing using cast iron pans as deflectors. How do you hold them in place above the coals? I cannot find the vision grill deflector brackets to purchase separately--what am I missing?

On 5/12/2017 at 10:28 PM, Hoosierref said:

My Vision from Home Depot should be delivered in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to get all the extras to go along with it.  I ordered the Woo Ring with 2 15" half moon ceramic stones for smoking and using one for 2 zone grilling.  I also have a 14"  cast iron Round Griddle coming.  My question is...when I want to bake a pizza, can I use the CI round griddle as a deflector, and use the 2 moons for the pizza?  Thanks!

Do you feel like the 15" stones are giving you enough air flow?  I am looking at them or 2 13" ones.

This may or may not help... But I've been using a cast iron Pizza Pan 14 inch from Lodge for almost the last year as a deflector.

Outside diameter is 14.5 inches I believe. The inside diameter of the Firebox for me a 16-inch on my Vision  classic B.

The way I have been using it is just to go ahead and rest it on top of the fire box. The handles Rest on the Firebox.  That puts the top of the pizza pan at about the same level as the top of the Firebox.  And since the woo ring elevates the main cooking grates, you'll have a couple of inches between the food and the pizza pan.  It has been working great for me. I just purchased the kamado Joe classic divide-and-conquer setup. I'm probably still going to use the cast iron pizza pan as a deflector when I get the new KJ D&C setup.

-T

Lodge P14P3 Seasoned Cast Iron Baking and Pizza Pan, 14 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_6pK.zbC6ETA43

It sounds like you have yourself a good setup in the works!  I use the ceramic stone (from The Ceramic Grill Store) as a heat deflector and put my pizzas up on the cast iron pizza pan/skillet.  It's simple and it works well!

13221644_10157132176620107_5895267516282

17021393_10158482035275107_9005544981105 

Forgive the store bought dough!!!!!

1 hour ago, uhmump95 said:

GLOCKer,

Where did you get your pan?  I just did a brisket, it may be time try a pizza.

Here is the pan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AII10C0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I ordered it, it was only $25.  I've heard that with some careful looking, one can find this pan for even cheaper!  It's also been nice for use as a griddle; placed down where the heat deflector would go.  Great for doing up some onions then smashing burgers on it!

21 minutes ago, CarolinaCooker said:

Just curious, is this 14" diameter or is it 14" counting the handles?

Just measured. The total outside diameter of just the plate is 14 5/16" and the across the handles is 17 3/16". I may be mistaken but I believe the handles need to be cut off to be used as a deflector if placed below the bottom grate. One reason I bought these is because they are cheap enough plus you have two so cutting one up doesn't feel so bad. I've still yet to use mine because I bought a cheap Walmart pizza stone and expected it to crack at some point but it's holding up for now.