• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   

58 posts in this topic

It looks like Bobby has a new design for the KJ BBQ Wizard.  It's much more compact, it appears to have food probe ports; I'd guess there must be a phone app too with no digital thermometer in the newer more compact BBQ Wizzard.

It appears the Wizard has been re-named to the iKamand.

IMG_0208.JPG

ckreef, Freddyj and Cagno like this

it's cool looking. any idea if it has a fan or just works on a draft?

it's cool looking. any idea if it has a fan or just works on a draft?

His post on Facebook indicated it had a more powerful fan than the others on the market. 60b5a5149c434f7fcb1d331a1b227512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just how much air do you need a digital controller to blow?  Why not 50 cfm?  

As for a "... must have accessory ..." I'll take issue with that claim.  I have a digital controller and all it does is sit idle and gather dust.  I've used it once.

I'm generally impressed with KJ, but this seems to be a solution in search of a problem.  The only product differentiation seems to be a bigger fan.  

In an earlier video linked here Bobby seemed to be at a KJ promotional party. In that video he discussed launching the KJ company right in the middle of BGE territory and succeeding. This video to me was sort of the living proof of philosophy of Think And Grow Rich or The Power Of positive Thinking.

In that video Bobby said he was going to launch a product that would make using a charcoal fired Kamado about as easy as turning the knob on the gas grill. To a seasoned user heat control may not be important but to a novice user considering a Kamado --it could be what would swing them to buying the Kamado.

Having a unit that can maintain temp, be tracked on the phone, can be adjusted remotely, and has  a food probe(s) that reads remotely would have appeal to a certain group.

Having a unit that can make the unit as easy as lighting a starter cube and hitting a button to have the grill ready in 2 minutes would or could have an appeal to even seasoned users.

It sort of makes me think of the push button start RAV4 that we just bought. I thought that it was just some useless gimmick. After having it I really appreciate it. Put the control in your pocket and forget it. Walk up to the car and it unlocks. Get in put your foot on the brake and push the button and drive. When you arrive push the button and the car shuts down. Get out and push the button on the handle and the car locks. It is a nice convince.

This unit could potentially bring a convenience to Kamado cooking that is similar or as Bobby said as simple and quick as using a gas grill.

It

BEER-N-BBQ by Larry and ckreef like this

1 hour ago, CeramicChef said:

As for a "... must have accessory ..." I'll take issue with that claim.  I have a digital controller and all it does is sit idle and gather dust.  I've used it once.

I'm generally impressed with KJ, but this seems to be a solution in search of a problem.  The only product differentiation seems to be a bigger fan.  

We've all been using are KJ's for years without them CC.  It's just a marketing pitch, I wouldn't take it too personally.  This product is aimed at the mass market users who aren't buying Kamado because they are seeing them as too hard to use.

This targeted at the people who are walking by KJ's at Lowe's who have never even considered buying a Kamado.   

BEER-N-BBQ by Larry likes this

I'd totally dig this! Big Joe has been pulling double duty as our main BBQ smoker for the food trailer. I'm reluctant to implement another solution because I don't know if the end result will be the same as the kamado smoked meat; people rave about our BBQ. In fact, I've got at least two parties to cater this summer and they want pulled pork. One party is expecting 100+ guests and the other is over 250. I stress about these long cooks because if the fire goes out or temp spikes and torches everything I'm up the creek without a paddle! This would be a nice solution to that problem! 

1 hour ago, CeramicChef said:

I think he answered that in his post; you can start the kamado rapidly with the extra airflow capability. Also, XL cookers need the extra airflow and require a bigger fan than most kits ship with at the base level.

On a side note, what kind of controller do you have? If it goes unused would you be interested in parting ways with it? For me, a controller is something I should probably be getting to make sure I have reproducible and reliable results when I am not home to tend to the kamado and Mrs. Cue is there keeping an eye on the thermo every hour or two for me. 

Bgosnell151 likes this

@Mr Cue - I've never really thought about selling the BBQ Guru CyberQ Pit Viper. It has 4 temp probes and is the 10 cfm fan model.

Eberything I have is for sale, depending on the day and the offer!  Send me a PM and we'll chat.

3 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

i thought the same thing about the air volume until i read the part about "start up mode,"  i think kj is innovating ways to attract new members to charcoal cooking & prob heard the complaint about start up time.  i've seen many threads here asking how long to start up

((shrug))

i also never needed a controller and still don't for most cooks.  last weekend did 2 cooks at 225 f for 19 hours and 13 hours and all the info on my smart phone.

pretty good, i like the new innovation and technology.  boscos interface on the pellet grill is pretty sweet

Regardless of which side your sitting on the great controller debate.  IKamand is very innovate when compared to other controllers on the market.  

- It's Super compact and well designed.  It much more elegant looking than the PartyQ, ect.

- They jammed a lot of features into a very tiny footprint. 

- It's built to function across a wide range of temperature ranges vs temps below 450 F. 

- It's 100% weatherproof.  I never understood why some of the other manufactures keep making outdoor temp controls without IP67 water resistance.  

I'd get one for my KJ for those weekday cooks after an 11 hour workday. 

I don't like using temp comtollers on cooks above 300 F because they rapid pushes or air tends to use more lump and decrease burn times. 

2 mins start times are not really necessary.  I prefer to bring the Kamado up to temp over 20 mins for cooks 300 F and above.  

Gas grills take about 15 minutes to reach 400 F and 20-25 minutes to stablely hit 600F.  I'm not sure why the 2 minute start time is required.  Plus the Charcoal will never burn cleanly in 2 minutes.  It takes 10-15 minutes for the volitiles to burn off on most Lump brands.  

I understand wanting to follow a cook via the phone, but what ever did we do before we were willing slaves to technology?  To what end do we need to be enslaved not only to our cookers, but to a new layer of technology on top of technology?  I thought the reason most folks got a kamado was to be free os having to tend a stick burner or a kettle.  Now instead we obsess over every little wiggle in the temp curve.  And just how do you suppose that every little wiggle has real meaning and what would you do about it anyway?DO you think your boss is going to look kindly on taking off in the middle of the morning to go tend a cooker?

I trust my Komodo Kamados, Beauty! and TheBeast to do their jobs just as I did with my BGEs and my Primos.  I've never worried about fires going out; it's never happened to me. I've never worried about temp spikes because they simply don't matter in the long run.  I'm not s guys who sweats the littlest niggling detail of a cook for in the end, every body eats very well, they enjoy the food, the company, and booze.

That's just my take on this whole thing of trying to control everything via technology.  I'm not a Luddite.  Rather, I'm just a guy who understands that technology is supposed to serve me, not the other way around.

3 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

I understand wanting to follow a cook via the phone, but what ever did we do before we were willing slaves to technology?  To what end do we need to be enslaved not only to our cookers, but to a new layer of technology on top of technology?  I thought the reason most folks got a kamado was to be free os having to tend a stick burner or a kettle.  Now instead we obsess over every little wiggle in the temp curve.  And just how do you suppose that every little wiggle has real meaning and what would you do about it anyway?DO you think your boss is going to look kindly on taking off in the middle of the morning to go tend a cooker?

I trust my Komodo Kamados, Beauty! and TheBeast to do their jobs just as I did with my BGEs and my Primos.  I've never worried about fires going out; it's never happened to me. I've never worried about temp spikes because they simply don't matter in the long run.  I'm not s guys who sweats the littlest niggling detail of a cook for in the end, every body eats very well, they enjoy the food, the company, and booze.

That's just my take on this whole thing of trying to control everything via technology.  I'm not a Luddite.  Rather, I'm just a guy who understands that technology is supposed to serve me, not the other way around.

CC I understand where your coming from , I personally don't use Facebook , Snapchat etc..... whatever... and hardly use any app that is on my phone , point being this is the way I am , would rather read a article then watch a video , this is my attraction to forums because of the reading aspect.

But even you must know that KJ is about selling as many Kamados as they can , and if you can try and market a more user friendly grill that's what there going to do.These are grills that they are selling at big box stores and bbq dealers. I know you own a couple of KK's but for most they will never know about it till they take there first dip with a product like this.

Granted I know that it is a pretty simple task to get one of these grills running , It's not rocket science but can be intimating to many folks who always had a gas grill . I have introduced quite a few people to Kamado grilling experience and cannot believe how they react to the food coming off and saying there next grill purchase will be a Kamado , I don't think all will take the plunge but I also see these products make it more inviting and one day maybe they will be searching out KK website.

Just sayin

CeramicChef and KismetKamado like this

Chef,

There's only so many Kamado die hardship like us out there.  We don't even represent 1% of the BBQ market.

Something like the iKamand is aimed at that other 99% that will never invest as much time as we have learning to use our Kamados.  

CeramicChef likes this