Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • John Setzler

      Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

      The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

      Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

      The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

      You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

      You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

      Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

Recommended Posts

I think it is just Kamado Joe wanting to keep up with the technology that is becoming available on a daily basis now

my prediction is in next 5 to 10 years every house build will be a smart house 

it is also a possibility that the grill company's will have the controllers built into the grills via just a chip

 

and that's because man likes the latest, likes to press buttons and control everything with the tv remote control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think it is just Kamado Joe wanting to keep up with the technology that is becoming available on a daily basis now

my prediction is in next 5 to 10 years every house build will be a smart house 

it is also a possibility that the grill company's will have the controllers built into the grills via just a chip

 

and that's because man likes the latest, likes to press buttons and control everything with the tv remote control

 

There's some factors the electronics cannot control.  Mostly the human one's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly cool with them making this. I'm actually interested in it my self as the nights I get home from work I can use that to get the temp of the grill going, while I am busy corralling the kid and dog. So I'm very interested on how they get this to work. 

 

Would also be great for the over night cooks for extra precaution. I've never run into an issue yet, but it would be extra insurance.

 

So I hope these do well and work as advertised cause I would deff consider one for those weeknight cooks that I do quite a bit to make life a little easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, CeramicChef said:

......, but what ever did we do before we were willing slaves to technology?  

 

my first thought when I hear someone make this thought is 'who cares?'  technology is cool & fun and more folks embrace it than those who try to fight it.

 

however....

 

I don't think that KJ has designed the grill that it can only work with this system nor do I believe that they've invented it with the sole purpose of selling to existing kamado die hards.  thinking that KJ is innovating here to entice folks who normally would pass on a kamado because of the charcoal learning curve.

 

If your down on technology, then your REALLY not going to like this.....  I predict Uber partners up with an automated vehicle company in the near future for driverless cars & big rigs

uber truck.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Freddyj - I'm not down on tech at all.  Quite the opposite.  After all, I am an engineer.  I'm just taking the opposite side of an argument.  That and I rather like the Zen Experience that my Kamados have brought me over the years.

 

As to Uber, I predict that Uber (or an Uber look alike) will revolutionize the auto industry.  In 20 years or so, I think auto ownerships will be a thing of the past.  Uber is simply too well designed and too cost efficient, especially in major cites, to ever think about buying an auto.  I think trucking will be transformed by WiFi.  A lead truck will be able to command a series of 5,6, ..., 10 trailers effectively forming a "train" of sorts that will make this mode of delivering goods even cheaper.  They already do this type of thing down in Australia and its just a matter of time before it comes to the US.  Uber will transform motorized transportation like Amazon has book stores and shopping in general.  I think the word is ... TRANSFORMATIVE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gadget like these will be great for the busy soccer and Hockey mom's who may not be making Kamado purchases.  The learning curve has nothing to do with it.   It's a time factor.  There's only so many hours in day when you have the kids running around in twenty directions. 

 

The iKamand is a time saving and convienence feature for people who don't have the extra time to invest being as fanatical and passionate about the grilling experience as we are. 

 

I have the 25 mins to wait for the Grill to get up to temp.  The mom that has to take her kids to hockey and soccer practice in an hour may not have the extra 25 minutes to spare to wait the the Kamado to come up to temp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Charcoal Addict - ohhhhhh, puh-leeeeeeze!  I'm throwing the bull butter flag on this soccer/hockey mom argument you've posed.  I don't kow a single soccer/hockey mom going to get dirty loading up a kamado for a cook!  If she's that rushed for time, that mom ain't gonna change into old clothes, knock ash off the old lu,p, pick up a bag of lump, dump lump into a cooker, hook up a controller, light the fire, go in the house, get cleaned up, and rush out the door to pick up Junior!  Time is of the essence in your argument and the soccer/hockey mom just added yet ANOTHER duty?  What world are you living in?

 

Have you been reading this Forum?  How many women do you see posting here?  Precious few.  Only a couple come to mind.  Guys here post all the time that women are simply too intimidated by kamados.  And you think,women are going to breathe charcoal dust and get smudged with charcoal dust?  

 

Yeah, I can just hear this conversation!  

 

Husband: Hi Honey!  Listen, I'm tied up here at the office.  Can you light the KJ?  It'll only take 2 minutes after you load up the KJ with lump and get it lit and get the controller all hooked up!  

 

Wife: WHAT?  I've gotta stop by the market, pick up Junior, drop Sally at her piano lesson, pick up your shirts at the laundry, and you want me to screw around with your grill?  ARE YOU STUPID?

 

That conversation ends with you sleeping with the dog!  And for more than just a night!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@Charcoal Addict - ohhhhhh, puh-leeeeeeze!  I'm throwing the bull butter flag on this soccer/hockey mom argument you've posed.  I don't kow a single soccer/hockey mom going to get dirty loading up a kamado for a cook!  If she's that rushed for time, that mom ain't gonna change into old clothes, knock ash off the old lu,p, pick up a bag of lump, dump lump into a cooker, hook up a controller, light the fire, go in the house, get cleaned up, and rush out the door to pick up Junior!  Time is of the essence in your argument and the soccer/hockey mom just added yet ANOTHER duty?  What world are you living in?

 

Have you been reading this Forum?  How many women do you see posting here?  Precious few.  Only a couple come to mind.  Guys here post all the time that women are simply too intimidated by kamados.  And you think,women are going to breathe charcoal dust and get smudged with charcoal dust?  

 

Yeah, I can just hear this conversation!  

 

Husband: Hi Honey!  Listen, I'm tied up here at the office.  Can you light the KJ?  It'll only take 2 minutes after you load up the KJ with lump and get it lit and get the controller all hooked up!  

 

Wife: WHAT?  I've gotta stop by the market, pick up Junior, drop Sally at her piano lesson, pick up your shirts at the laundry, and you want me to screw around with your grill?  ARE YOU STUPID?

 

That conversation ends with you sleeping with the dog!  And for more than just a night!

 

Maybe in the previous generation.  Us late GenXer's and Millennials think differently.  I think there's a great opportunity for younger generation of women to use Kamado's.  

 

I would hope we're moving towards a time where more women will be using Kamado's as we adapt the design to be more friendly to female users.  The Kj's fully counterbalanced hinge is a big step forward.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

 

Maybe in the previous generation.  Us late GenXer's and Millennials think differently.  I think there's a great opportunity for younger generation of women to use Kamado's.  

 

I would hope we're moving towards a time where more women will be using Kamado's as we adapt the design to be more friendly to female users.  The Kj's fully counterbalanced hinge is a big step forward.   

 

I tried to teach my last missus to use a Kamado a few years back (when I owned a BGE) and after loading the lump, lighting, setting vents getting stable temp and putting the heat deflectors in she just looked at me and said "maybe i'll just use the (hooded) gas BBQ. It seems like less mucking around"

 

Another example: I cant get my 62yo father to entertain the idea of cooking over charcoal at all. He buys a new Webber kettle every 3 or 4 years and the first thing he does is ditch the charcoal bits and fit a gas element kit to it. I've tried to explain that cooking over coals would yield him much better results and his answer was "charcoal cooking is too much F#$king around"

 

I honestly think there is a market for an "automatic" kamado cooker. Something you just need to load, light and walk away

Sure, it would take away a lot of the romance and ceremony of a kamado cook, but it would remove a lot of the perceived difficulty people associate with charcoal cooking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree with the soccer mom analogy but I do agree with what KJ is basically trying to accomplish - make their products easier and more appealing to a mass market. Plenty of controllers on the market. Why wouldn't KJ want to get in on that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn it!!! I just got my flame boss last week. I much would have preferred waiting for this. I even emailed KJ and asked if there was anything in the works. DARN IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darn it!!! I just got my flame boss last week. I much would have preferred waiting for this. I even emailed KJ and asked if there was anything in the works. DARN IT!



The flame boss is an awesome controller, you will just have to pick up a 2nd KJ so you can use both controllers


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×