• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

7 hours ago, ckreef said:

I don't agree with the soccer mom analogy but I do agree with what KJ is basically trying to accomplish - make their products easier and more appealing to a mass market. Plenty of controllers on the market. Why wouldn't KJ want to get in on that? 

Soccer Moms analogies aside, I was simply trying to illustrate the fact that not everyone has/willing to invest as much time as we do to learn how to use Kamado.  They just want something that works.

The iKamado is a great product for people who just want something that works.

On 5/14/2017 at 2:00 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

It looks like Bobby has a new design for the KJ BBQ Wizard.  It's much more compact, it appears to have food probe ports; I'd guess there must be a phone app too with no digital thermometer in the newer more compact BBQ Wizzard.

It appears the Wizard has been re-named to the iKamand.

IMG_0208.JPG

How does one become a part of this test group? I'd be interested!

3 hours ago, MountainThatWalks said:

How does one become a part of this test group? I'd be interested!

Ditto.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

The flame boss is an awesome controller, you will just have to pick up a 2nd KJ so you can use both controllers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like where you are going with that but I just got rid of my old Primo that I didn't use as much as my KJ. I was just hoping to support the brand. The whole thing of innovation is what has captured me. KJ is going to overtake BGE at some point due to blood, sweat and tears of the people that work there and make these awesome innovations. They should be damn proud of how far they have come, and look forward to where the company vision is going to take them.  Not knocking the egg heads by any means. I just respect the effort to further Kamados as a whole. I have not used my flameboss yet due to crazy schedules. I am going to keep it that way to see where the price point comes out on the IK....I am probably going to ebay this thing.

On 5/14/2017 at 2:00 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

It looks like Bobby has a new design for the KJ BBQ Wizard.  It's much more compact, it appears to have food probe ports; I'd guess there must be a phone app too with no digital thermometer in the newer more compact BBQ Wizzard.

It appears the Wizard has been re-named to the iKamand.

IMG_0208.JPG

Are there any other good photos like this one floating around? id like to see the whole thing! 

2 hours ago, bel4_20 said:

Are there any other good photos like this one floating around? id like to see the whole thing! 

I could be wrong but I think you are looking at the whole thing. 

On 5/16/2017 at 6:33 PM, CeramicChef said:

@Charcoal Addict - ohhhhhh, puh-leeeeeeze!  I'm throwing the bull butter flag on this soccer/hockey mom argument you've posed.  I don't kow a single soccer/hockey mom going to get dirty loading up a kamado for a cook!  If she's that rushed for time, that mom ain't gonna change into old clothes, knock ash off the old lu,p, pick up a bag of lump, dump lump into a cooker, hook up a controller, light the fire, go in the house, get cleaned up, and rush out the door to pick up Junior!  Time is of the essence in your argument and the soccer/hockey mom just added yet ANOTHER duty?  What world are you living in?

Have you been reading this Forum?  How many women do you see posting here?  Precious few.  Only a couple come to mind.  Guys here post all the time that women are simply too intimidated by kamados.  And you think,women are going to breathe charcoal dust and get smudged with charcoal dust?  

Yeah, I can just hear this conversation!  

Husband: Hi Honey!  Listen, I'm tied up here at the office.  Can you light the KJ?  It'll only take 2 minutes after you load up the KJ with lump and get it lit and get the controller all hooked up!  

Wife: WHAT?  I've gotta stop by the market, pick up Junior, drop Sally at her piano lesson, pick up your shirts at the laundry, and you want me to screw around with your grill?  ARE YOU STUPID?

That conversation ends with you sleeping with the dog!  And for more than just a night!

Ok CC. I am a stay at home dad... I make the joe work when I can, but if I could be stabilized at cooking temps in 5 minutes...it would make life easier, much much easier. 

I could be wrong but I think you are looking at the whole thing. 

I think so too. I'd just like to see the front and back side and the side/s where I'm assuming the probs plug into.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

@Mewantkj - you GUYS are missing the whole point of my post.  You're guys.  That's the whole point.  You're NOT women and you'll never think like a women.  Ever.  You're justifying this from your point of view and I guarantee your thinking is flawed.  Go back and read the part of my post where I allude to the woman getting covered in charcoal dust.  Having to change clothes.  Get cleaned up.  Yada, Yada, Yada.

I showed the @Charcoal Addict post to a few women who happen to get by ChezChef for dinner and they all howled at his line of thinking.  Two minutes invested in getting a cooker ready to cook?  More like 30 minutes when you take into account changing, raking ash off lump, grabbing and wrestling with a bag of lump, lighting this lump, hooking up the controller, making certain that everything comes up to temp, getting out of the charcoal covered clothes, getting cleaned up, etc.  2 minutes!  all you're thinking with is your GUY head.  That's what these ladies said here at ChezChef.  Try more like a half an hour start to finish.

Try doing a little focus group research some time and you'd be surprised what you learn.  Techies make the absolute worst marketing guys.  And they are the first guys to be surprise by focus groups and the first to invest more money in another focus group because they don't believe the first.  I've done enough to know this 2 minute canard and the Soccer Mom thesis in 100% bull butter of the highest rating.

16 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

@Mewantkj - you GUYS are missing the whole point of my post.  You're guys.  That's the whole point.  You're NOT women and you'll never think like a women.  Ever.  You're justifying this from your point of view and I guarantee your thinking is flawed.  Go back and read the part of my post where I allude to the woman getting covered in charcoal dust.  Having to change clothes.  Get cleaned up.  Yada, Yada, Yada.

I showed the @Charcoal Addict post to a few women who happen to get by ChezChef for dinner and they all howled at his line of thinking.  Two minutes invested in getting a cooker ready to cook?  More like 30 minutes when you take into account changing, raking ash off lump, grabbing and wrestling with a bag of lump, lighting this lump, hooking up the controller, making certain that everything comes up to temp, getting out of the charcoal covered clothes, getting cleaned up, etc.  2 minutes!  all you're thinking with is your GUY head.  That's what these ladies said here at ChezChef.  Try more like a half an hour start to finish.

Try doing a little focus group research some time and you'd be surprised what you learn.  Techies make the absolute worst marketing guys.  And they are the first guys to be surprise by focus groups and the first to invest more money in another focus group because they don't believe the first.  I've done enough to know this 2 minute canard and the Soccer Mom thesis in 100% bull butter of the highest rating.

Nope, I understood your post.  I am telling you, I am the one at home cooking for my family. If I can get the grill up to temp quickly that is huge.  

1 minute ago, Mewantkj said:

Nope, I understood your post.  I am telling you, I am the one at home cooking for my family. If I can get the grill up to temp quickly that is huge.  

I too am the one at home cooking. The big difference between me and you - I get home at 6:30 pm and really need to be in bed by 9:00 pm. I truly have no time for nothing. 

I like this product.  If it really does what it says it does I want one for my KK's (I'm skeptical on the start up feature   but time will tell). Can I get it with a Guru port adapter? 

@Mewantkj - Ben, once again, the original post I took umbrage with was a post about Soccer/Hockey Moms, NOT stay at home dads such as you!  That seems to have skipped way past you.  Also as you so rightly point out, you're the one doing the cooking.  The overwhelming majority of Soccer/Hockey Moms simply are NOT the primary kamado chef.  Go back and read those posts by @Charcoal Addict and myself and I hope it becomes obvious that you are comparing apples (Soccer/Hockey Moms) to oranges (Stay at home Dads).

I like my controller and use it when I want to... and don't use it when I don't want to. KJ sees an opportunity to jump into that market and I don't see why they shouldn't.

I love the design of that unit - but I do wonder how limiting it is. Are they limiting themselves to only KJs or will that snap into other kamados with a similar lower vent style? You're also cutting out any kamados with a different lower vent style and all non-kamados unless they plan on making adapters - which would ruin the sleek design.

I also hate the name. You don't have to change C's to K's on all your products. 

If the KJ were still my main cooker, and the price was right, I'd buy it. The high powered fan would be great for the bulk of the cooks that I do. I don't need the kamado heat soaked to grill up a few chicken breasts, burgers, sear steaks, etc.

1 hour ago, CeramicChef said:

@Mewantkj - Ben, once again, the original post I took umbrage with was a post about Soccer/Hockey Moms, NOT stay at home dads such as you!  That seems to have skipped way past you.  Also as you so rightly point out, you're the one doing the cooking.  The overwhelming majority of Soccer/Hockey Moms simply are NOT the primary kamado chef.  Go back and read those posts by @Charcoal Addict and myself and I hope it becomes obvious that you are comparing apples (Soccer/Hockey Moms) to oranges (Stay at home Dads).

CC, I random picked one of 1000 things I could have inserted as an example.  There's lot of women who have no trouble getting their hands dirty to do some cooking in the backyard.  There's that don't want to deal with the hassle no matter what.  

You have women the army, playing sports, working on oil rigs, welding, ect...I don't think working a Kamado is out of the question.  It's 2017 for gods sake.  

Things like coconut extruded Charcoal, a pair of work gloves and a shop vac/Ash-Vac the KJ Ash drawer and makes clean up a breeze.  There's no reason to get dirty. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I too am the one at home cooking. The big difference between me and you - I get home at 6:30 pm and really need to be in bed by 9:00 pm. I truly have no time for nothing. 

I like this product.  If it really does what it says it does I want one for my KK's (I'm skeptical on the start up feature   but time will tell). Can I get it with a Guru port adapter? 

You must work for a home improvement retail giant. No time for nothin. Words I live by.