• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   

58 posts in this topic

Ok - to start off - I am very fond of all you guys and your posts.  You're all part of the reason why I love this forum so much!  I'm not upset at all, just finding this thread a bit comical. 

The whole soccer mom thing is hilarious to me.  Being one of those few women on this site, I just find this ridiculous... changing clothes and freshening up after lighting the grill, really?  Wresting with a bag of lump?  Lol.  There are days I tell the guys at work that I am hoping to get home in time to clean up and cover my grill before the next storm rolls in and they just chuckle at how crazy that sounds - especially coming from a woman.  Guess I'm not a stereotypical woman in this regard...

As far as the controller goes, gender aside, convenience is convenience and if that's what a person wants, then there is value in that product to that individual. 

6 hours ago, prowe said:

You must work for a home improvement retail giant. No time for nothin. Words I live by. 

Not home improvement retail but.... I do take my work truck home at night. I leave the house at 5:00 am and get back usually at 6:00 pm. 13 hour days, 5 days a week and sometimes Saturday.

No time for nothing. 

I only stir the old lump some of the time and I always dump straight from the bag. That's not the dirty part. I do change my shirt before cooking but that's because I'm a sort of messy cook and get tired of ruining decent shirts from grease drippings - LOL 

If I'm grilling, I get home from work and get the grill ready. I shake out the lump basket, and clean out the ash if needed. Go across the yard and get the lump out of the shed, dump some in the grill and carry the bag back, then light thing up. Then I wash my hands and change out of my work clothes. Not hard to do that without getting dirty. I've never done it, but I've thought about putting on a pair of latex gloves and that would keep my hands clean, too.

CC - your description sounds like the 'fail' part of an infomercial lol ;) 

RDjbTO3.gif

Ag7DTzC.gif

giphy-tumblr.gif

prowe likes this

2 hours ago, cschaaf said:

CC - your description sounds like the 'fail' part of an infomercial lol

Ha, ditto. I don't think I've ever changed my clothes, and the dirtiest I get is the palms of my hands when I move the charcoal around to build my pile.

That said, my wife doesn't often start the grill and she would be interested in a device that makes it a little easier (if only in her mind) to start it.

cschaaf likes this

3 hours ago, Logan said:

Ha, ditto. I don't think I've ever changed my clothes, and the dirtiest I get is the palms of my hands when I move the charcoal around to build my pile.

That said, my wife doesn't often start the grill and she would be interested in a device that makes it a little easier (if only in her mind) to start it.

Agreed. My wife will not load or start the kamados even though I've tried to get her to. She used to cook on a kettle and had no issues loading that and arranging the briquettes, but she wants no part of the kamados for some reason. I think she knows the price of them and doesn't want to mess something up. 

Adding a blower on the bottom would probably only intimidate her more lol

5 hours ago, cschaaf said:

If I'm grilling, I get home from work and get the grill ready. I shake out the lump basket, and clean out the ash if needed. Go across the yard and get the lump out of the shed, dump some in the grill and carry the bag back, then light thing up. Then I wash my hands and change out of my work clothes. Not hard to do that without getting dirty. I've never done it, but I've thought about putting on a pair of latex gloves and that would keep my hands clean, too.

CC - your description sounds like the 'fail' part of an infomercial lol ;) 

RDjbTO3.gif

Ag7DTzC.gif

giphy-tumblr.gif

Those arent infomercials...thats video of my wife trying to prepare and serve a meal

KismetKamado, ckreef and cschaaf like this

20 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Ok CC. I am a stay at home dad... I make the joe work when I can, but if I could be stabilized at cooking temps in 5 minutes...it would make life easier, much much easier. 

Oh my word...5 minutes to temp would be lifechanging for me. Kamado kooking should be fun. Often it is. But depending on my turnaround time to get back to work, or if the wife is hangry it could be a great stress reliever. If this works as advertised i will be waiting in line at kitchens and co. Im with ya Ben.

Mewantkj likes this

9 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@Charcoal Addict - look, if 2 minutes makes thqt much difference in your life, good for you.  Go for it.  

The Ceramic or Refactoy cement, realistically you can't heat soak the grill in two minutes.  Most gas grills can't stabilize at 400 in less than 10-15 minutes depending on the quality of the gas grill and it's burners. 

Nothing is that fast with the exception of induction.  Even that takes 2:30 seconds to bring water to a boil. 

Honesty, I don't understand all the drama over a cool but "nice to have accessory".  

The iKamand is the most innovative control design ever released.  KJ found a way to condense a fully featured controller into a extremely single and versatile unit. 

Whether you like controllers or not, you can't knock the engineering and design thay went into the iKamand. 

ckreef likes this

You'll never get stable cooking temps in 5 minutes no matter what device you have. It might be possible to get to grilling status in 5 minutes but never stable cooking temps. It just takes longer to heat soak ceramics then 5 minutes. And you really need  some amount of heat soaking in order for the lump to stop smoking and settle down. 

With that said a controller with startup mode would make life a little easier but not 5 minutes fast. Unless the wife has everything prepared and ready to go the moment you walk in the house you'll need more time to get get food prepped anyway. Heck takes me 5 minutes to empty my pockets, kick off my work boots and wash my hands and I haven't even looked at food yet. 

This discussion is really all for nothing. Buy it or not KJ doesn't care, they're going to sell to some people, other people not. Weather you like the idea of controllers or not it seems like a kewl device to me. Definitely the best looking controller out there. 

14 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The iKamand is the most innovative control design ever released.... 

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves here :) It's not actually released yet, if I'm not mistaken.

For all we know, development/finalization/etc. could take another 1-2 years and who knows what innovations might be out on the market by then.

;) 

ckreef likes this

4 hours ago, jrakutt said:

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves here :) It's not actually released yet, if I'm not mistaken.

For all we know, development/finalization/etc. could take another 1-2 years and who knows what innovations might be out on the market by then.

;) 

This looks like a nearly finished product that's ready for a public beta test.  Usually something like this would be released in 12 months. 

There's nothing experimental here.  It's really a miniaturization of existing designs. As the long as the testers are happy, it will probably make it out to the shelves by next spring.