New BBQ Wizzard

Charcoal Addict

8 hours ago, dianlonyc2 said:

I have a pocket probe which is accurate.  And my dome temp is spot on.  

But iKamand will help my paranoia with overnight cooks.  What if it goes out?  What if it gets too hot?   All small problems -- but cool to have a solution for them.  I like insurance on long cooks.....its all about mitigating the risk :)  

I agree -- its all bells and whistles...but it adds also to peace of mind -- my BBQ is out in my back and I have to unlock my door, unlock the driveway gate, unlock the backyard gate to get to.  As it gets colder....it would be great to monitor and control from inside until I am really needed (like to wrap) :)   

I was looking at your profile and noticed you have a big joe is that right? I have all three and the big joe is stable as any of them. I don’t use controllers and will never use them. No need. I use the smoke for the meat but no temp controller. I also have extremely small temp fluctuations over 12 to 16 hour cooks. The ikamand will be a fun toy to play with for sure. Necessity? Nah. 

The only necessity is the Grill, the Lump, and the meat! :)     But its always fund to play with new gadgets!   

So John.....I know there is limited you can talk about.....but when KJ pulls the trigger (Nov is knocking at our door), do you have a video that is just waiting to post or is it mostly tests?   

19 minutes ago, dianlonyc2 said:

The only necessity is the Grill, the Lump, and the meat! :)     But its always fund to play with new gadgets!   

So John.....I know there is limited you can talk about.....but when KJ pulls the trigger (Nov is knocking at our door), do you have a video that is just waiting to post or is it mostly tests?   

I do not have a video ready for this product.  I have not even started testing yet.  I am waiting on some things before I can get started.

• 10 months later...

I’ve just started using my kamado and definitely will be purchasing a temp controller for long roasts/smokes. I did my first brisket and found I was having to make small vent adjustments continuously through the eight hours to maintain 250 plus minus 10 degrees. Maybe there’s a “pile pattern” I don’t know about or some other nuances only learned through experience but why struggle? Maybe I’m trying to be too precise on the temperature but that’s just my nature. Having to go make adjustments all day long doesn’t make me want to use the grill, it makes me want to use the oven.

My two cents,,,

On 9/17/2018 at 9:22 PM, Bill Ross said:

I’ve just started using my kamado and definitely will be purchasing a temp controller for long roasts/smokes. I did my first brisket and found I was having to make small vent adjustments continuously through the eight hours to maintain 250 plus minus 10 degrees. Maybe there’s a “pile pattern” I don’t know about or some other nuances only learned through experience but why struggle? Maybe I’m trying to be too precise on the temperature but that’s just my nature. Having to go make adjustments all day long doesn’t make me want to use the grill, it makes me want to use the oven.

My two cents,,,

I've done one truly long cook on my big joe. Two butts and a brisket, then moved the other brisket on the big joe from my stick burner. I found that if I let the temp come up slowly, and I stress the term slowly, it held 250-255 for over 8 hours. Once the starter cube burned out, I shut my lower vent to about 1/8th inch and the temperature slowly came to 165 (about an hour/hour and a half) and put the meat on, then slowly opened the top vent to allow it to climb to about 250 and made minor adjustments to dial lock it in. It was my first long cook and big cook that I was feeding over 60 people the next day. Don't give up.