New BBQ Wizzard

Charcoal Addict

1 hour ago, bel4_20 said:

And let's not forget the price point here guys, the Ikamand is going to be priced much lower than the competitors out there is what I read either on the facebook page or here from  @BobbyBrennan 

+1, you can see on the forums that temp control devices are gaining momentum, popularity and people want them.

pellet grill manufacturers  are jumping on that and incorporating into their higher end grills.

good on kamado joe for jumping in on that trend early, we'll likely see other companies follow.

gotta love the "back in my day no one needed this fancy internet contraption" lol

6 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

+1, you can see on the forums that temp control devices are gaining momentum, popularity and people want them.

pellet grill manufacturers  are jumping on that and incorporating into their higher end grills.

good on kamado joe for jumping in on that trend early, we'll likely see other companies follow.

gotta love the "back in my day no one needed this fancy internet contraption" lol

So true! This just adds the "set it and forget it" element. I own 2 temp controllers I don't always use them I've learned how to use my Kamados without but there is always that I better go check on it scenario, With the temp controller I don't have that worry and I can carry on in my day ad do what i need to around the house!

• 4 weeks later...

Since this seems to be the only thread on the iKamand I thought I'd give it a bump and fill in some details y'all might not have seen if you aren't active in the FB group.

1. $$$ this thing is going to be $149. That is crazy stupid cheap when you compare to everything else on the market, and consider this is a better, more feature rich design.

2. Availability- first run is scheduled to be released next month. No 12-24 months for this thing to be in the wild

3. Start up mode - this thing has a 30 cfm blower crammed into that little housing. Bobby posted a video of it raising temp from 600 to 850 in 45 seconds. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lirkm3cfiro49z3/20170524_143803.mp4?dl=0

Maybe you won't be rock steady at 225 in 2 minutes or grilling in 5, but it's damn sure faster than anything I've seen. That kills a lot of excuses for people who stay clear of charcoal or even those who generally only cook on the weekend. The more often it's practical to use your cooker, the easier it is to justify the price tag.

4. Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity with 3 meat probes

5. Not just for KJ. It will fit several major brands out of the box, and they plan to have adapters in the future.

6. This can live on your cooker. No need to mount and dismount for each use. If you want to use it, plug it in. If you don't, adjust your lower vent as normal with the unit attached.

7. Did I mention the price? I have no idea what their strategy is here, because they developed the best game in town, by far, and it's selling for little more than a Thermoworks Smoke (less if you add the gateway).

Y'all gripe all you want about sucking the soul out of kamado cooking, or whatever, but these innovations open up the market for so many to step into this passion of ours. I think everyone should embrace that whether you need this particular product or not. Innovation breeds innovation and there will come an innovation that does matter to you because KJ decided to blow the roof off the status quo.

12 hours ago, afingerhut said:

Since this seems to be the only thread on the iKamand I thought I'd give it a bump and fill in some details y'all might not have seen if you aren't active in the FB group.

1. $$$ this thing is going to be $149. That is crazy stupid cheap when you compare to everything else on the market, and consider this is a better, more feature rich design.

2. Availability- first run is scheduled to be released next month. No 12-24 months for this thing to be in the wild

3. Start up mode - this thing has a 30 cfm blower crammed into that little housing. Bobby posted a video of it raising temp from 600 to 850 in 45 seconds. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lirkm3cfiro49z3/20170524_143803.mp4?dl=0

Maybe you won't be rock steady at 225 in 2 minutes or grilling in 5, but it's damn sure faster than anything I've seen. That kills a lot of excuses for people who stay clear of charcoal or even those who generally only cook on the weekend. The more often it's practical to use your cooker, the easier it is to justify the price tag.

5. Not just for KJ. It will fit several major brands out of the box, and they plan to have adapters in the future.

6. This can live on your cooker. No need to mount and dismount for each use. If you want to use it, plug it in. If you don't, adjust your lower vent as normal with the unit attached.

7. Did I mention the price? I have no idea what their strategy is here, because they developed the best game in town, by far, and it's selling for little more than a Thermoworks Smoke (less if you add the gateway).

Y'all gripe all you want about sucking the soul out of kamado cooking, or whatever, but these innovations open up the market for so many to step into this passion of ours. I think everyone should embrace that whether you need this particular product or not. Innovation breeds innovation and there will come an innovation that does matter to you because KJ decided to blow the roof off the status quo.

Well said! I will be getting one of these when it comes out, it's the best value and does all the things I want a controller to do. 

I wonder how many of the anti-controller people use an oven without a thermostat like their great great grandma did?  I get the zen of running a cooker, and I have a stick burner that fills that role, but there are a lot of grillers out there that wouldn't mind a helping hand every once in a while.    

I use a Heatermeter controller and Rotodamper on most of my kamado cooks because it IS faster, easier, and more precise.  With a 6.7 CFM fan the 21" or so PB can get to 400 STABLE in about 8 minutes.  Is the ceramic heat soaked that fast?  Heck no, but the controller takes care of keeping the temp stable until it is.  White startup smoke is not an issue either, a fanned fire spreads faster and burns hotter so you get past any smoke faster.  Once the base of the charcoal is lit, I could see 30 cfm being significantly faster, but I also see ash blowing plus sparks and burning embers shooting out of the top vent, or worse when the lid is open.  That is already a borderline issue at less than 7 cfm.  Once temp has stbilized and the ceramic heat soaks, my fan doesn't run at all below 500 degrees.  The temp is managed by a servo limiting airflow just like you would manually control the damper, just with more frequent and better informed adjustments.    

KJ's solution looks pretty slick and is priced right.  30 CFM seems like too much for a kamado except for rapid start so they will need to be able to have fine control at very low fan speeds and or also be able to physically block airflow with a servo controlled damper.  It will come down to the software and how well it actually controls the grill, but the people behind it aren't stupid so I expect they will get it right or not ship it.  If the product works well and the software hits the balance between usability and features, I think it will be a success.            

If they want to make a simple start grill, add a propane igniter to light the charcoal at the bottom of the KAB and then kick on the fan.  You could digitize the startup sequence to make it a simple load charcoal and hit a single "Start" button startup.  I see no reason that this couldn't evolve into a push to start grill with digital temp setting that is as easy to light as a gas grill and faster to pre-heat, more stable and as simple to control as your kitchen oven.  Heck, I am almost there now but with a push button torch, semi-DIY controller, and a bunch of wires.  KJ's engineering could put it all together and simplify it from a tinkerers toy to clean solution ready for the masses.  Why root against them?      

17 hours ago, afingerhut said:

Bravo!! well put! So looking forward to buying one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 11:20 PM, afingerhut said:

How do we get in on the first batch of orders? Wonder when / if an adapter will be available for Vision.

There have been some further developments, but nothing yet on adapters for other brands. The release date is still in flux as well.

1. Hardware looks and functions great, but the app needs work. A new app development firm was hired to get the app to a 10/10

2. The packaging was upgraded from a simple plastic retail display pack to a really nice padded case. Final design still pending

3. Expected retail price has been revised to $179.99 in the US. That includes the controller a pit probe and 3 meat probes

4. There will be a battery pack, but it's not clear if that will be included or an add-on. Development is still underway so details are sparse.

5 minutes ago, afingerhut said:

There have been some further developments, but nothing yet on adapters for other brands. The release date is still in flux as well.

1. Hardware looks and functions great, but the app needs work. A new app development firm was hired to get the app to a 10/10

2. The packaging was upgraded from a simple plastic retail display pack to a really nice padded case. Final design still pending

3. Expected retail price has been revised to $179.99 in the US. That includes the controller a pit probe and 3 meat probes

4. There will be a battery pack, but it's not clear if that will be included or an add-on. Development is still underway so details are sparse.

Thank you!

Could not be more interested in following this. I would purchase this day one the moment they confirm an adapter will be available for the vision pro s. Even if the adapter isn't out for a few weeks / months.

Thank you!

Could not be more interested in following this. I would purchase this day one the moment they confirm an adapter will be available for the vision pro s. Even if the adapter isn't out for a few weeks / months.

Truthfully I'd be surprised to see an adapter for Vision Pro as it is not a conventional slide type draft vent.

Not trying to rain on your parade and I very well could be wrong. However the design of the iKAMAND is quite different from FB and BBQ Guru in that it is meant to mount to the vent door and stay there. The 'adapters' that have been discussed are just plates that fit the tracks of other brand grills.

At the end of the day, KJ is still in the business of selling kamados. I can't see them going too far out of there way to produce universal accessories. Although I see lots of BGE and Vision sporting D&C and Joetisseries , so who knows

My thinking on it is...after all that engineering and design... it's just folding some sheet metal into various shapes which opens an entire new line of sales. I could very well easily see a sheet metal "box" shape that fits into the vent opening and the iKamand attaches to that. There's many ways to do it.

My thinking on it is...after all that engineering and design... it's just folding some sheet metal into various shapes which opens an entire new line of sales. I could very well easily see a sheet metal "box" shape that fits into the vent opening and the iKamand attaches to that. There's many ways to do it.

Maybe you're right. Fingers crossed for you.

If not, you could always try to fab something yourself or have something made locally. I've done that a good many times to make something for an application it wasn't designed for.