1 hour ago, afingerhut said:

Maybe you're right. Fingers crossed for you.

If not, you could always try to fab something yourself or have something made locally. I've done that a good many times to make something for an application it wasn't designed for.

It is also quite possible that someone will market and adapter if KJ does not.

2 hours ago, afingerhut said:

Not trying to rain on your parade and I very well could be wrong. However the design of the iKAMAND is quite different from FB and BBQ Guru in that it is meant to mount to the vent door and stay there. The 'adapters' that have been discussed are just plates that fit the tracks of other brand grills.

At the end of the day, KJ is still in the business of selling kamados. I can't see them going too far out of there way to produce universal accessories. Although I see lots of BGE and Vision sporting D&C and Joetisseries , so who knows

I'm pretty sure the lower vents on the large Egg/XL Egg, Classic Joe & Big Joe are the exact same size respectively.  

There Red should be no issue using an iKamand on the Eggs.

I'm pretty sure the lower vents on the large Egg/XL Egg, Classic Joe & Big Joe are the exact same size respectively.  

There Red should be no issue using an iKamand on the Eggs.

BGE is the only brand I've specifically seen referenced for having adapters available. I know they are close, but not sure they are exactly the same. I believe an 'adapter plate' was mentioned.

Makes sense to make an adapter there as it's the largest kamado install base and provides them the most opportunity for the least additional cost

I find this thread very interesting and while I have been keeping an eye out for blower temp controller things like this.... I must admit that I've yet to have an issue with temp control on the KJ. I feel like after taking years to master smoking on really terrible propane and coal smokers this kamado business is a cake walk. I just did an 16/17hr pork butt for the 4th of July with almost no heat variance. I've cooked almost every night with this KJ for the last month. 

I will say that I'd like a digital temp sensor just to make sure the temp is correct and for the price I may as well just buy one of these....

I find this thread very interesting and while I have been keeping an eye out for blower temp controller things like this.... I must admit that I've yet to have an issue with temp control on the KJ. I feel like after taking years to master smoking on really terrible propane and coal smokers this kamado business is a cake walk. I just did an 16/17hr pork butt for the 4th of July with almost no heat variance. I've cooked almost every night with this KJ for the last month. 

I will say that I'd like a digital temp sensor just to make sure the temp is correct and for the price I may as well just buy one of these....

KJ (and most kamados) have fantastic temperature control and are easy enough to get stable with a little know how and experience. That said, there are enough added features that it's worth buying even if you don't want the temp controller.

It's a kick ### 3 probe wifi/BT remote thermometer, and cost the same as similar remote thermometers that don't have a blower. It also will replace my BBQ dragon for rapid starting. Now I have a hands free way to bring my temp quickly to exactly where I want it, not just get it blazing then figure out the vents.

34 minutes ago, afingerhut said:

BGE is the only brand I've specifically seen referenced for having adapters available. I know they are close, but not sure they are exactly the same. I believe an 'adapter plate' was mentioned.

Makes sense to make an adapter there as it's the largest kamado install base and provides them the most opportunity for the least additional cost

I use the BGE adapter on the Big Joe.  The vents are the same size on the Eggs and Joe's plus or minus 1/8 of an inch.  Not enough to throw off the fit of the iKamand.  

The iKamand will fit the Eggs too.

1 hour ago, afingerhut said:

KJ (and most kamados) have fantastic temperature control and are easy enough to get stable with a little know how and experience. That said, there are enough added features that it's worth buying even if you don't want the temp controller.

It's a kick ### 3 probe wifi/BT remote thermometer, and cost the same as similar remote thermometers that don't have a blower. It also will replace my BBQ dragon for rapid starting. Now I have a hands free way to bring my temp quickly to exactly where I want it, not just get it blazing then figure out the vents.

The more I read the more I like this idea. Esp the quick start up procedure for after work dinners. Even if it's not 2 minutes it'd still be nice to light and leave, go clean up and come back just to put the meat on. 

Next question is how do I get on the "list" to test one of these bad boys out???

The more I read the more I like this idea. Esp the quick start up procedure for after work dinners. Even if it's not 2 minutes it'd still be nice to light and leave, go clean up and come back just to put the meat on. 

Next question is how do I get on the "list" to test one of these bad boys out???

I think "the list" is a bit enigmatic. If I was guessing, it's going to be folks that Bobby trusts to provide constructive feedback on any needed improvements before going into full production.

If you don't already fit that criteria, then it may be another few weeks until you can get one from a production batch

List?  I love lists.....I would love to get on this list too! lol   I agree -- the Esp start is a great feature.  PLUS if my wife can dial in a temp and make it even EASIER -- that is even better!   (Plus I think adding this package to new grills would open up the Kamado market to people who would not have considered it before)

1 minute ago, afingerhut said:

I think "the list" is a bit enigmatic. If I was guessing, it's going to be folks that Bobby trusts to provide constructive feedback on any needed improvements before going into full production.

If you don't already fit that criteria, then it may be another few weeks until you can get one from a production batch

I don't think I would try to light the Joe in 2 minutes for a steak cook.  You can't stabilize the temps at that speed.  10-20 minutes to get up to temp is perfectly acceptable and easier on the ceramics.

I don't think I would try to light the Joe in 2 minutes for a steak cook.  You can't stabilize the temps at that speed.  10-20 minutes to get up to temp is perfectly acceptable and easier on the ceramics.

Unless you are cooking on a soapstone or cast iron, heat soak doesn't really matter for quick cooks like steak. You are cooking your steak over the direct radiant and convective heat from the charcoal, not the oven like environment of a low and slow where heat soak provides temp stability

I give it up to Bobby and The Boys.  They could stamp KJ on boxes of horse manure and the KJ crew would line up to pay premium prices for it.  He and his marketing team are geniuses!  They've created a mystique around their brand exceeded only by BGE.  Bobby and his marketing team are first rate and have created 

All I hear about is how innovative this new controller is gonna be.  There is absolutely nothing innovative in this controller as outlined here. There's nothing innovative at all in anything that KJ markets except maybe the Divide and Conquer and if I'm not mistaken, you could source essentially the same thing at several Internet sites before KJ.  

You want fast startup times, why not go to Harbor Freight and buy a heat gun for $15?  Oh, I forgot, it's not stamped KJ!

But again, I'm really impressed with what Bobby and his marketing team have done in a relatively short period of time.  Seems to me they've beat BGE at their own game and at a lower price point.  

I give it up to Bobby and The Boys.  They could stamp KJ on boxes of horse manure and the KJ crew would line up to pay premium prices for it.  He and his marketing team are geniuses!  They've created a mystique around their brand exceeded only by BGE.  Bobby and his marketing team are first rate and have created 

All I hear about is how innovative this new controller is gonna be.  There is absolutely nothing innovative in this controller as outlined here. There's nothing innovative at all in anything that KJ markets except maybe the Divide and Conquer and if I'm not mistaken, you could source essentially the same thing at several Internet sites before KJ.  

You want fast startup times, why not go to Harbor Freight and buy a heat gun for $15?  Oh, I forgot, it's not stamped KJ!

But again, I'm really impressed with what Bobby and his marketing team have done in a relatively short period of time.  Seems to me they've beat BGE at their own game and at a lower price point.  

Haters gonna hate

Not sure how a one piece temp controller that can live full time on your kamado isn't innovative. I'm not sure how a fan that can fit into that small housing and pump out 3X the volume of typical 2 piece controller isn't innovative. I'm not sure how finding a way to offer a more full featured product with equal or greater quality at a lower price isn't innovative.

Bobby and his team are great marketers, but they also deliver the goods to back it up. Their fans and brand loyalty is hard earned and fought for every day with top notch customer service and end user engagement. Do you see BGE or anyone else out there openly asking for customer input as they design the product they will ultimately sell?

Like I said, don't buy it if you don't want one, but this will be a great product for a lot of folks and will open the doors for many new kamado users.

10 minutes ago, afingerhut said:

Haters gonna hate

Not sure how a one piece temp controller that can live full time on your kamado isn't innovative. I'm not sure how a fan that can fit into that small housing and pump out 3X the volume of typical 2 piece controller isn't innovative. I'm not sure how finding a way to offer a more full featured product with equal or greater quality at a lower price isn't innovative.

Bobby and his team are great marketers, but they also deliver the goods to back it up. Their fans and brand loyalty is hard earned and fought for every day with top notch customer service and end user engagement. Do you see BGE or anyone else out there openly asking for customer input as they design the product they will ultimately sell?

Like I said, don't buy it if you don't want one, but this will be a great product for a lot of folks and will open the doors for many new kamado users.

+1 

Back in my day we had to talk to people one on one, at their face. Leave it up to scientist at CERN to develop and algorithm that allows people to share ideas on some kind of "net" without actually going to their house and talking with them. 

Why not just buy 2 cups and put a string on them? Oh wait....... 

37 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

Ok CC, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume your message was not intended the way it sounds. 

Last time I checked a $15 heat gun didn’t control temps.  

Last time I checked the direct competition for temp controllers with the same features were vastly more expensive than $180. 

I am not going to comment on the manure statement, that was just mean and offensive. There was no need for that!