New BBQ Wizzard

Charcoal Addict

4 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

I give it up to Bobby and The Boys.  They could stamp KJ on boxes of horse manure and the KJ crew would line up to pay premium prices for it.  He and his marketing team are geniuses!  They've created a mystique around their brand exceeded only by BGE.  Bobby and his marketing team are first rate and have created 

All I hear about is how innovative this new controller is gonna be.  There is absolutely nothing innovative in this controller as outlined here. There's nothing innovative at all in anything that KJ markets except maybe the Divide and Conquer and if I'm not mistaken, you could source essentially the same thing at several Internet sites before KJ.  

You want fast startup times, why not go to Harbor Freight and buy a heat gun for $15?  Oh, I forgot, it's not stamped KJ!

But again, I'm really impressed with what Bobby and his marketing team have done in a relatively short period of time.  Seems to me they've beat BGE at their own game and at a lower price point.  

So what are the other internet connected temp controllers that are weather proof and sell for under $180?  A DIY solution like the heatermeter is going to be close to that much and you have a lot of work to do, and a lot of wires.

9 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Under what circumstances would you ever need pit or meat probes that were durable beyond 500 degrees?

Meat probes?  Never

Pit probes?  Even if you never cook above 450, the K type wires are a fraction of the cost of a maverick style probe, react faster, are much thinner to run through the gasket, and last longer.  I do like to do pizza and calzones in the 600-650 range, and using a controller to hold there, especially while pre-heating the stone allows you to be inside making pies without worrying about the fire getting too hot.  

11 minutes ago, m-fine said:

Meat probes?  Never

Pit probes?  Even if you never cook above 450, the K type wires are a fraction of the cost of a maverick style probe, react faster, are much thinner to run through the gasket, and last longer.  I do like to do pizza and calzones in the 600-650 range, and using a controller to hold there, especially while pre-heating the stone allows you to be inside making pies without worrying about the fire getting too hot.  

I do a lot of high temp pizzas also but I find the dome thermometer is quite adequate for that process since there is no real benefit in precision temperatures.  The kamado holds steady at those temps quite well once you get it there.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I do a lot of high temp pizzas also but I find the dome thermometer is quite adequate for that process since there is no real benefit in precision temperatures.  The kamado holds steady at those temps quite well once you get it there.

I agree with you on pert near is close enough. Just getting into pizzas, I do think that having the ability to do it would be great....Why not? Starting up the grill and letting it ramp to temp rather than checking on it over time, and adjusting is a huge win. My Igrill probes are rated to 620. I have taken the grill up to 550 to sear a steak and then go indirect. It is nice not to mess with the temp if there is tech to do it when I am chasing my kid around while cooking. It allows me to cook a superior meal for my fam, and spend time with them at the same time. That start up feature? Killer when I get home late and have to go to some activity....oh wait...we were going to grill. BOOM! Done. 

A Kamado should be stable once it has settled at just about any temp, but to have a controller handle the ramp up and hold while the ceramic heat soaks and stabilizes is a huge plus. It frees you up to put your attention elsewhere. 

If it it is helpful at 350, it is also helpful at 650 or 175. 

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Under what circumstances would you ever need pit or meat probes that were durable beyond 500 degrees?

I've seen people use high temp wireless thermal couple probe in things like Tomahawk steaks.  It's not necessary to probe most high temp cooks over 400 F.

4 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I've seen people use high temp wireless thermal couple probe in things like Tomahawk steaks.  It's not necessary to probe most high temp cooks over 400 F.

I would never find the need for probes in direct grilling of any kind.

26 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I'm in the same boat.  An instant read does the trick just fine.  Some people are anal retentive perfectionist.  Even if you miss your mark slightly, being off by a 2-3 degrees has never ruined a good meal. 

Count me in as keen as mustard 

Everything about this project has got me interested

Fingers crossed it's on the market and all (if any) bugs are ironed out before Christmas. 

Do you have any idea when KJ will be releasing information outside of the drips we'really getting now?

I imagine there will be a you tube video on the system at some stage and I'll be ordering one the moment I've finished watching it 

Count me in as keen as mustard 
Everything about this project has got me interested
Fingers crossed it's on the market and all (if any) bugs are ironed out before Christmas. 

Do you have any idea when KJ will be releasing information outside of the drips we'really getting now?
I imagine there will be a you tube video on the system at some stage and I'll be ordering one the moment I've finished watching it 

Bobby was really happy with the state of the hardware last week, but said the app/UI was a real let down. They're starting from the ground up with a new developer which will take a few weeks.

Once it's a 10/10 test units will go out to the beta group for some hands on feedback. We can be assured Mr. Setzler will be among that group. I'm sure things will move along pretty quickly after that

On 7/5/2017 at 10:24 PM, John Setzler said:

Yes, only the pit probe would have any real benefit from being able to handle higher temps.  I can't think of any place I would use a meat probe at temps higher than about 400.  Honestly, I rarely use meat probes even though I use the controller on most of my kamado cooks.  They make nice graphs but for most longer cooks I am cooking to tenderness not temperature and fast hot cooks I don't have time or the need to look at probe data.    

Not having a pit probe that can handle high temps is not a deal killer since most of the competition is using the temp limited probes as well, but I see it more as a missed opportunity to differentiate and excel.     

I could see an advantage to a Pit probe going to the 600 range if you wanted to use a controller for pizza cooks.

In the past I've only really used my partyQ on long cooks, but with the rapid start feature I'd be inclined to use it when cooking at higher temps as well

@m-fine  I am in a small minority.  The dome thermometer is perfect for everything I cook on a kamado grill.  I don't get OCD about dome vs grate temps because it just doesn't matter.  When it comes to grilling over direct heat, I don't even care what the dome thermometer says.  I just know I need a hot fire.  If it's 600 degrees give or take a hundred degrees at the grate level, I will still be able to get the job done.  I would never subject a pit probe to direct flame under any circumstances.

Here is an example of the cheap pit probes I use.  They are thin and easy to feed into any grill, the tip has little mass and reacts to changes super fast, they can handle 700 C or 1300 F and have proven to be longer lived/more durable than maverick style probes.  Plus they are super cheap.  I would love to hear from Bobby on why they (and the other commercial manufacturers) chose not to use something like this.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-High-Temperature-Measure-50-700-C-Thermocouple-K-Type-Probe-Sensor-1M-/181623204916?epid=854534527&hash=item2a49962c34:g:xI8AAOSw6aVUmnEv