New BBQ Wizzard

Charcoal Addict

Here is an example of the cheap pit probes I use.  They are thin and easy to feed into any grill, the tip has little mass and reacts to changes super fast, they can handle 700 C or 1300 F and have proven to be longer lived/more durable than maverick style probes.  Plus they are super cheap.  I would love to hear from Bobby on why they (and the other commercial manufacturers) chose not to use something like this.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-High-Temperature-Measure-50-700-C-Thermocouple-K-Type-Probe-Sensor-1M-/181623204916?epid=854534527&hash=item2a49962c34:g:xI8AAOSw6aVUmnEv   

At first glance I'd guess it has to do with the connector. Not a lot of real estate on the iKamand for 4 connectors like that

5 minutes ago, afingerhut said:

I could see an advantage to a Pit probe going to the 600 range if you wanted to use a controller for pizza cooks.

In the past I've only really used my partyQ on long cooks, but with the rapid start feature I'd be inclined to use it when cooking at higher temps as well

Yep, rapid start for a hot cook, and also holding the temp at target while you are inside prepping the pies.  The controller should prevent your 600+ from turning into 900+ accidentally.

1 minute ago, afingerhut said:

At first glance I'd guess it has to do with the connector. Not a lot of real estate on the iKamand for 4 connectors like that

Only need one for the pit probe,  No need to use K-type for the meat probes. 

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@m-fine  I am in a small minority.  The dome thermometer is perfect for everything I cook on a kamado grill.  I don't get OCD about dome vs grate temps because it just doesn't matter.  When it comes to grilling over direct heat, I don't even care what the dome thermometer says.  I just know I need a hot fire.  If it's 600 degrees give or take a hundred degrees at the grate level, I will still be able to get the job done.  I would never subject a pit probe to direct flame under any circumstances.

+1

If i am using the leave-in meat probe since the grate probe is already an option i will put it on but i never bother if i am not using the meat probe and that for me even means ribs. My dome is as accurate as it needs to be for me to know what i need to do for things i cook where i dont use the leave-in. 

On 7/5/2017 at 9:12 AM, afingerhut said:

Maybe you're right. Fingers crossed for you.

If not, you could always try to fab something yourself or have something made locally. I've done that a good many times to make something for an application it wasn't designed for.

Yes, exactly.

I actually have a 3d printer that will print up to 8"x 8". So if I could get my hands on one, I would immediately begin prototyping something out of PLA until the dimensions and fit seems good enough get a local sheet metal guy to fold me some. The adapter for the BBQGURU and the Flame Boss are incredibly basic cuts.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, adam319 said:

Anyone hear an update on this?

Last I saw, Bobby was still fine tuning the aesthetics of the app following input from KJ owners

I'm pretty sure someone said he'll be debuting the iKamand and KAB set up at the KJ Block party in a couple of weeks

Not sure about expected release date or pricing on both products but I'd be surprised if they weren't available for purchase by late September.

I'm just hoping both products make it to Australia in time for Christmas

Brisket, Ribs and Pulled Pork for Christmas Lunch sounds like an awesome idea in my house this year

4 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Last I saw, Bobby was still fine tuning the aesthetics of the app following input from KJ owners

I'm pretty sure someone said he'll be debuting the iKamand and KAB set up at the KJ Block party in a couple of weeks

Not sure about expected release date or pricing on both products but I'd be surprised if they weren't available for purchase by late September.

I'm just hoping both products make it to Australia in time for Christmas

Brisket, Ribs and Pulled Pork for Christmas Lunch sounds like an awesome idea in my house this year

Polar,

I doubt any of these accessories will be out before the Spring/Summer of 2018.  Everything is still a prototype right now.  You won't see these accessories in 2017. 

20 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

Polar,

I doubt any of these accessories will be out before the Spring/Summer of 2018.  Everything is still a prototype right now.  You won't see these accessories in 2017. 

Not sure the basis for your pessimism, but the iKAMAND hardware is production ready and the first release of the app is close. 

Id be stunned if these are not available for order in September or October. 

1 hour ago, afingerhut said:

Not sure the basis for your pessimism, but the iKAMAND hardware is production ready and the first release of the app is close. 

Id be stunned if these are not available for order in September or October. 

It's not pessimism; it's realism.  The iKamand has several months of testing ahead of it.  It normally takes 6 months to manufacture, deal with any legal, (patents, region saftey standards, etc...) and move a product into it's distribution channels.     

P

6 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It's not pessimism; it's realism.  The iKamand has several months of testing ahead of it.  It normally takes 6 months to manufacture, deal with any legal, (patents, region saftey standards, etc...) and move a product into it's distribution channels.     

P

You could be right, but I think we can all agree to hope that I am. 

From what I'm told the hardware is very solid and the only real details being worked out were with packaging. 

The app had a total overhaul in the last month and is nearing completion. There are a host of additional features to be added to the app in future releases, but that can all happen once the device is on shelves. 

My personal speculation is that Bobby's comments on 'Testing' and 'Power Users' were more of a stall tactic to keep people in the market from buying a competitors product. Bobby has had a unit since he got back from China a few weeks ago and I am sure he has been testing it. 

Well see in a couple more weeks at the Block Party 

• 2 weeks later...